Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator issues

Alternator issues

Hey guys,

I had posted this in with my intro post but I guess nobody really checks the newbies corner, haha.

Last week when I left for work I noticed an odd smell and noise coming from the car. Opened up the hood to find my alternator pulley had exploded and made a mess of my engine bay, haha. The smell was the rubber belt burning and throwing rubber around.
    I lurked the forum and found out this isn't exactly an uncommon issue on the model and went ahead and ordered a new belt and pulley, along with the 33 spline socket tool to get the job done, from online.

Jump forward to yesterday and the parts turned up but I had to go into hospital for some minor surgery which was gonna have me out of action for the week, so I booked a mobile mechanic for today to come swap the old pulley out for me and fit the belt.
    New mechanic has advised me that it's more than likely the alternator was damaged internally once the pulley started to go and I'd be up for a new alternator as well as a new idle pulley since there's a fair bit of belt residue on the one in the car. Fun afternoon, right?

Just after some advice, should I be buying a new alternator completely or go ahead with replacing just the pulley, belt, and tensioner?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    The clutch pulleys on the alternators go all the time.
    Just replace the pulley, tensioner pulley and belt, the alternator will probably be fine.
    He's probably just trying to make some extra bucks from you.
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Alternator issues

Quote Originally Posted by asa572 View Post
    The clutch pulleys on the alternators go all the time.
    Just replace the pulley, tensioner pulley and belt, the alternator will probably be fine.
    He's probably just trying to make some extra bucks from you.
    Thanks for the advice mate, will do!

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, I'd take a punt on it too.

I had a slight noise on start up [2.0 TDI] back in January from the alternator pulley. Like you, I ordered the 33 tooth spline bit & new pulley & before I could get round to changing it [just had major surgery] the noise has stopped. Looks like I should keep a very close eye on it before it causes the damage you have experienced.
    Here's my posting.
    Our Mk5 Golf is now 10 years old.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    I had a slight noise on start up [2.0 TDI] back in January from the alternator pulley. Like you, I ordered the 33 tooth spline bit & new pulley & before I could get round to changing it [just had major surgery] the noise has stopped. Looks like I should keep a very close eye on it before it causes the damage you have experienced.
    Here's my posting.
    Our Mk5 Golf is now 10 years old.
    Good to hear yours fixed itself up for the time being! Mine was the same as yours a couple of months ago, just on startup and went away after a week or so. I thought nothing of it at the time, just cold mornings I guess. Came back about 4 days before this happened, haha. So keep an eye/ear out and maybe change it before it gets to that point!

Users Country Flag
    I would think if the old pulley was 'working' prior to failure you could expect some damage to the splines which, I would think, bring on another failure due to a return to 'working' immediately.
    I would be taking a very close look at the splines before making any decision unless you're into gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    I would think if the old pulley was 'working' prior to failure you could expect some damage to the splines
    The splines are in the pulley that is thrown in the bin. The only reason for the splines is you can hold the assembly[with the special tool] while you remove & install the centre screw.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Quote Originally Posted by DJmk5 View Post
    Mine was the same as yours a couple of months ago,
    How many klms on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    How many klms on your car?
    154,000km ticked over a few days before she went bust, I bought the car at 148k and noticed the noise the first time around at what I guess would have been ~150k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast