Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Diesel additives..... Fyrex Ci ?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Really?
    Yes. Both Europe and Australia went through several stages of sulfur content reduction in diesel fuel, albeit on different timelines.

The premise of your argument appears to be that, X was crap in the past, so therefore, X must be crap now.

So assuming past fuel quality is an indicator of current fuel quality, you conclude that:

Australian diesel fuel was crap in the past, so therefore, Australian diesel fuel must be crap now.

If the same logic were to be applied to European diesel fuel:

European diesel fuel was crap in the past, so therefore, European diesel fuel must be crap now.

I don't think it's a particularly strong argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I and many as well know that there is more to the diesel quality than just the sulphur.
    True, but like I said, concerns about local fuel standards are overstated.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    True, but like I said, concerns about local fuel standards are overstated.
    Well and that's where we will never agree.

Just about every diesel fuel filter I change, has a nasty black coating on it. When it comes out like that from a customer's car, I could say; okay, it's been there probably for a long time so you can expect it to be black (from Asphaltenes), but when the fuel filter comes out like that from our cars after less than 20,000km, that's a bit of worry and it doesn't indicate me that our diesel fuel quality is on pair with the EU fuels.

Sounds nasty, though I have to admit, it's not something I've personally experienced yet.

I think the quality control processes at the refinery and terminals is fine. Upon leaving the terminal though, I imagine contamination control via external sources can be much harder to manage.

I try my best not to fill up with dodgy looking pumps. I also never leave without a receipt - never know when you'll have to make a claim with the fuel companies.

Users Country Flag
    I have tried a number of fuel additives over the 26,000 km i have owned the car (late 2009 103TDI DSG Golf purchased with 54,000 km on speedo). Using either straight BP or Vortex, my engine rattles noticeably, especially when cold and taking off after being turned off for a while.
    Moreys DSM & Fyrex both seem to quieten it down from the get go, so much so that not using either is not going to happen. It's a much 'nicer' vehicle to drive without the typical diesel clatter.
    As for fuel economy improvements ??, never really ran a tank of fuel without some additive. Ave of 6L/100km mostly urban driving.

I ran 2-stroke oil for a while but stopped as i was a bit suss as to the effect it might have on the DPF. The 2-stroke did a good job of quieting the rattle down though.

Moreys recommend 1:650 and Fyrex 1:1000. For Fyrex, that's 1ml to 1000ml of diesel. They are homeopathic ratio's and if i did not notice a difference in the engine noise, i would say it's BS (or maybe it's simply a placebo effect with me wanting there to be an improvement )
    Last edited by vw_golfer; 14-11-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Follow up to earlier post re Fyrex diesel additive.

Engine has now done just over 100,000km. I got slack and stopped using additives for about the last 20,000km. I use either Vortex or BP Ultimate and for the last 10,000 basically BP and their 'new & improved' formula. I wanted to see how the engine performed longer term with just BP. BP Ultimate seemed to quieten down the clatter some times experienced just after engine started (hot or cold) and driven at car park speed. Other than that, the engine did not seem any different or improve over the 20,000km.

Just recently though i added Fyrex at the 'cleaning dose' and soon noticed that the engine is quieter and the engine response and acceleration is sharper and immediate. It's actually quite nice to drive atm and makes me want to use the car (not the motorbike).

Both times now using Fyrex, i have noticed an improvement and maybe the most noticeable improvement of any additive used so far.

I need to find me some more Fyrex.

Users Country Flag

Interesting i will have to get some and try it thanks for the review
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456