Support VWWC

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Particulate Filter

Diesel Particulate Filter

Hi, my name is Ray.
    I have recently purchased a late 2006 golf 2.0 TDI for my wife. I am trying to ascertain whether the vehicle has a DPF fitted. The VW literature gives specs for the 2 litre engine with and without a DPF. Is it possible to tell by the engine code or do I have to remove covers and look for the dreaded bloated down pipe.
    My interest stems from the fact that I would like to run Biodiesel in the vehicle. I produce my own biodiesel and run it in my F250 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. To date I have had no problems with the truck but have only recently progressed to running 100%. I pay particular attention to the purity of my biodiesel and control water content and PH very carefully. I filter it to 5 microns before it goes into the vehicle, and have an additional filter on the truck, pre lift pump.
    Any help or comments about running Bio in the VW would be much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 250 downunder View Post
    Hi, my name is Ray.
    I have recently purchased a late 2006 golf 2.0 TDI for my wife. I am trying to ascertain whether the vehicle has a DPF fitted.
    No it wont. The only Golf with the DPF is the TDI GT Sport.

My First Golf, an 07 Build, 08 Spec 2.0 TDI Comfortline had a DPF tag on the key but it didn't have a DPF. When you gave it a big push up a hill it would blow a tiny bit of smoke.

From what I understand VW don't recommend biodiesel in these Golfs because of fuel thickening, damage to the injectors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by benough View Post
    No it wont. The only Golf with the DPF is the TDI GT Sport.

My First Golf, an 07 Build, 08 Spec 2.0 TDI Comfortline had a DPF tag on the key but it didn't have a DPF. When you gave it a big push up a hill it would blow a tiny bit of smoke.

From what I understand VW don't recommend biodiesel in these Golfs because of fuel thickening, damage to the injectors etc.
    I believe the actual reason they don't recommend using bio is, if you have a dpf and it goes through the regeneration cycle (making the exhaust temps really high to burn all the accumulated crap out of the dpf), the over fuelling that occurs for this causes some fuel to get into the block. And apparently bio doesn't play well with the oil etc...

Though I have heard many theories of why they dont like bio, or bio blends being used with this engine, this makes the most sense. NFI what they do in Europe to prevent this though...
    Black 08 GT Sport TDI DSG - Waiting on my ST3

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbmonkey View Post
    I believe the actual reason they don't recommend using bio is, if you have a dpf and it goes through the regeneration cycle (making the exhaust temps really high to burn all the accumulated crap out of the dpf), the over fuelling that occurs for this causes some fuel to get into the block. And apparently bio doesn't play well with the oil etc...

Though I have heard many theories of why they dont like bio, or bio blends being used with this engine, this makes the most sense. NFI what they do in Europe to prevent this though...
    Spot on about the regeneration cycle mate, as this is the only reason given in all the VW manuals I recently printed off ErWin. VW also suggests an upgraded fuel heater on their "bio" models.

250 downunder, go look up "dutchaussie" in the Caddy section, he's a bio burner from way back, and is currently doing a lot of research and fact finding about the VW's, most probably for his bio e-book he is due to complete in the next few months.

I'm on his "want one" list!
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 27-06-2008 at 02:35 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Dpf

Thanks for the input. I will check out "Dutchaussie".
    If the vehicle has no DPF I might be tempted to start running some low percentage blends. The car has only done 19k. so I don't expect there to be too much rubbish throughout the fuel system for the bio to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by 250 downunder View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will check out "Dutchaussie".
    If the vehicle has no DPF I might be tempted to start running some low percentage blends. The car has only done 19k. so I don't expect there to be too much rubbish throughout the fuel system for the bio to remove.
    250 I have done 75000 k in my polo on bio 100 with no problems.
    I know for sure the polo has no dpf so no problems there. If you dont have one id say go for it.
    06 Polo TDI

66 VC Valiant 225 slant 6

VW manual for Polo says EN590 compliant bio/diesel blend (Probably B5) is fine.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Why has VW chosen to only fit DPF on the GTi? What advantages or disadvantages are there in having one. Am I better off without one?

Half of currently available VW diesels have DPF. All new models will have DPF to meet Euro IV emissions targets. (Data sourced from VW brochures current Nov 2008.)

No DPF in:
    * Polo TDI MY08 or MY09.
    * Golf V TDI 1.9 and 2.0(103kW)
    * New Beetle (current spec dates March 0.
    * Jetta MY08 TDI (still current).

DPF is in:
    * Golf V TDI 2.0(125kW)
    * Passat MY09
    * Tiguan TDI MY09
    * EOS TDI MY09
    * Touareg TDI MY09

I understand the main problem DPF is with biofuels and has to do with the potential level of carbon collected resulting in either DPF clogging or the unburned fuel which is periodically sent to the DPF via engine to regenerate the DPF in combination with high carbon loads causing DPF temperature problems.

Note VW recommends high cetane fuel 51CN on newer models (49CN on older models). The higher cetane fuel burns cleaner with less smoke (and less diesel noise). Regular diesel is of variable cetane (min standard 46CN). So it is probably better to use high cetane diesel (BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex) or to use a cetane improving additive (eg Amsoil, Duralt, Morey's diesel smoke killer). BP Ultimate is standard refined diesel with an additive package including a nitro cetane improver.

So the same potential problems could occur with low grade standard diesel. With a DPF, you wouldn't see the smoke out the back to know if the fuel is not so good. I wonder what VW would say about warranty given the specification for cetane number in the brochures if someone fuelled a DPF car with standard diesel and the DPF failed or overheated.

Note: There are numerous reports of injector clogging and premature injector failure and expensive repairs from lower grades of biofuels without additives. High grade biodiesel with additives seems to cause less problems from what I have been reading. I'd be happy to try B5 but beyond that am a bit wary of medium/long term problems until more evidence emerges.
    Last edited by bluey; 04-12-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added re: biofuels
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Quote Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
    Why has VW chosen to only fit DPF on the GTi? What advantages or disadvantages are there in having one. Am I better off without one?
    Did you mean Golf GT TDI ? The Golf GTI is petrol (as is the Polo GTI).

I think the GT TDI was more recently available in Oz, so it came with a DPF before other models (eg 1.9 and 2.0 103Kw TDIs) that were already on the market.

The advantages of a DPF are:

Less pollution (both visible - soot, and invisible)
    In some markets, less tax (because of less pollution)
    Will still be able to be sold in markets where pollution controls are tightening (ie almost all developed countries).

Disadvantages:
    More components, more things to go wrong (early ones were prone to faulty sensors), more weight
    Increased fuel consumption (regeneration, plus exhaust restriction)
    Not well suited to driving in heavy traffic (needs frequent regeneration)
    Reduces power potential with remapping

If you do a search here and other forums you will find more (much more ) information about DPFs.

I have one on my Transporter, and I have had zero problems with it (and like the lack of soot when I am giving it a bootfull, as it it is much less likely to attract unwanted attention from anyone).
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 04-12-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast