Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDI turbo

IDI turbo

I am thinking of buying a MK1 four door diesel which i am going to look at tomorrow. A turbo and IDI are essential as I like my biofuel.General opinion on 1.5 turbo isn't good and I am looking for an IDI engine in that family, 1.6 looks good with a higher pressure mechanical pump to mimic DI systems mentioned elsewhere in the threads. All advice helpful. I like the 1.9 but I don't know how it (DI) will handle thicker fuels.

hi mate,

turbocharged really isnt necessary for running biofuels, though it helps. i know a few people (including myself) who've run many many tens of thousands of km on n/a IDI diesels.

vw have 1.5,1.6 and 1.9 IDI diesels. 1.9's are rare as hens teeth in australia, and 1.6's too.

it was thought that turboing the 1.5's was a bad idea but it seems time and tuners have proven that theory wrong - the 1.5 is OK to turbo provided you take some precautions (oil cooler, intercooler, good exhaust, limit fuelling) and understand that it cant be pushed to the limits that the turbo engines can.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

also, replacing the head bolts with studs that thread deeper into the block is rumoured to alleviate the block cracking tendancy of the 1.5D when turboed
    Beige 79 Mk1 GLD White 76 Mk1 LS 3 door
    White 68 Alfa 1750 Berlina Champagne 91 Alfa 75
    Red 09 9N3 Polo TDI White 2010 Skoda Octavia Combi TDI

Factors: Its time to get serious.

I am really reluctant to just throw this 1.5 away. Its no pacesetter but its nice to drive, crisp and has a clean exhaust even when pushed. It doesn't burn oil and has an overhauled fuel pump with 800 bucks worth of receipts. However the clutch is tired and the 4 speed revs the engine too hard on the highway.

gldgti I currently run a landcruiser with a 1HZ engine IDI which has an aftermarket turbo. The 1HZ is renowned for failing under turbo. The reason is heat and the way the head absorbs the heat through the swirl chamber. As we know the IDI engine is less thermally efficient as it has a greater surface area in contact with combustion gases causing heat to be wasted through the cooling system. Put a hairdryer pumping in hotter air and bang.Toyota solved these problems by doing what volkswagen did 30 years ago, going to DI, beefing up the little end bearings (1.5 to 1.6 turbo mod), and putting oil spray into the base of the pistons to dissapate heat. The reason my turbo doesn't fail, its easy only 8 psi, intercooled, oil cooler, centrifugal oil filter, oil change at 5000 and most of all you wont catch me on fraser on sunday afternoon digging holes in the sand at 40c with my egt pegging the boards, with no forward motion.

I hear you on the 1.5 and if its exhaust manifold stud pattern is the same as the 1.6 or 1.9 then if it fails and lets face it it eventually will then hey I just bolt on the manifold to the new block and off I go again. If anyone knows those details please let me know. I am in the market for a 5 speed and certain turbos and manifolds if they fit, bigger brakes, new shocks and springs. If anyone can recommend crew in Brisbane for parts I would be most grateful as used to work for repco and I just know the attitude when you ask for european parts. The eyes roll over cause they have to buy it in an work harder instead of pressing the computer out of internal stock.

My wife's car is n/a IDI patrol and it has a marked decrease in fuel economy on bio compared to the turbo, I now have 40k on bio in that vehicle. I know my bio backwards and I am a shameless salesman.

Hiho good tip I will try thanks all again for help

Quote Originally Posted by oracle1 View Post
    I am really reluctant to just throw this 1.5 away. Its no pacesetter but its nice to drive, crisp and has a clean exhaust even when pushed. It doesn't burn oil and has an overhauled fuel pump with 800 bucks worth of receipts. However the clutch is tired and the 4 speed revs the engine too hard on the highway.

gldgti I currently run a landcruiser with a 1HZ engine IDI which has an aftermarket turbo. The 1HZ is renowned for failing under turbo. The reason is heat and the way the head absorbs the heat through the swirl chamber. As we know the IDI engine is less thermally efficient as it has a greater surface area in contact with combustion gases causing heat to be wasted through the cooling system. Put a hairdryer pumping in hotter air and bang.Toyota solved these problems by doing what volkswagen did 30 years ago, going to DI, beefing up the little end bearings (1.5 to 1.6 turbo mod), and putting oil spray into the base of the pistons to dissapate heat. The reason my turbo doesn't fail, its easy only 8 psi, intercooled, oil cooler, centrifugal oil filter, oil change at 5000 and most of all you wont catch me on fraser on sunday afternoon digging holes in the sand at 40c with my egt pegging the boards, with no forward motion.

I hear you on the 1.5 and if its exhaust manifold stud pattern is the same as the 1.6 or 1.9 then if it fails and lets face it it eventually will then hey I just bolt on the manifold to the new block and off I go again. If anyone knows those details please let me know. I am in the market for a 5 speed and certain turbos and manifolds if they fit, bigger brakes, new shocks and springs. If anyone can recommend crew in Brisbane for parts I would be most grateful as used to work for repco and I just know the attitude when you ask for european parts. The eyes roll over cause they have to buy it in an work harder instead of pressing the computer out of internal stock.

My wife's car is n/a IDI patrol and it has a marked decrease in fuel economy on bio compared to the turbo, I now have 40k on bio in that vehicle. I know my bio backwards and I am a shameless salesman.

Hiho good tip I will try thanks all again for help
    Welcome! glad to have another bio-D proponent on board and a diesel head at that -

all you have said i can't agree more with, and all i can add is to adress your manifold questions - yes, the 8V diesels all share common exhaust port spacing and configuration, all manifolds are interchangeable. inlet manifolds hada revised port shape with the 1.9 heads but the different manifolds will still physically bolt up and work, some port matching is recommended

to help you along the way, i can't refer you to any repository better than www.vwdiesel.net - definately the place to look for vw diesel information. the FAQ section is where you want to drop in first.
    Last edited by gldgti; 18-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by oracle1 View Post
    I like the 1.9 but I don't know how it (DI) will handle thicker fuels.
    i have a mk1 with a 1.9 turbo DI (1Z). I have run it on pure bio since i installed the engine about 3000k's ago. No issues so far, but it's still early days.
    The Bosch VE pump seems to cope with anything upto pure vege oil, as long as its warmish.

mike
    TDI mk1 on the road!!

Mollins the man of the moment

Just the man I was hoping to talk to, I bought myself this

the 1.5 is really sweet in it and I am reluctant to play with it, however, I have good experience with bio, make it myself and have centrifuges the whole bit, no probs with good quality fresh bio in DI engine, however I make some interesting blends and have heat exchangers in my cruiser so I would prefer IDI, however these things are so damn frugal i don't mind feeding a DI the finest bio I think. Will stick a turbo and intercooler on 1.5 aand baby it until it dies and then fit 1.9, still researching next is turbos. VERY INTERESTED in your fuel pump! Watch the bio in winter however it gels
    Spark ignition is a threatened species
    Biodiesel is the best emission control money cant buy
    MK1 5 door Mexico Beige 5/79 Golf GLD 1.5

caveat emptor

the jury is still out on common rail and electronic injectors with bio

mmm.. mexico beige GLD goodness...

that looks great mate.

Feel free to throw some questions my way. I'm getting better consumption than a 1.5 and it goes a heap faster.
    I haven't had any issues with gelling this winter, however I live next to the beach, so it never gets below 5 degrees.
    TDI mk1 on the road!!

baby spew yellow

yeah the colour is different but i can paint so.... I considered keeping it the same color for about 4 days for originality but I just don't know.... I have a really nice can of a dark green pearl in the shed i am considering. Just curious your engine is it IDI swirl chamber or DI just to confirm. Also wondering if you have gone to a higher pressure DI mode that I have read about, caught a snippet about some sort of cam plate in the pump but was flicking in a hurry and need to absorb more. I need to do some more reading about the pumps before I ask any foolish questions. Wondering how a swirl chamber engine will react if DI pump was used and bumped up the injection pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast