Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Change the OIL or not

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I like to buy cars that have been used a lot.

A car that does 50000 in the city will have lots more wear in the clutch/DSG than one that has 200k on the highway.

One yard around the corner had a 2007 mk5 GTI, $22k with 11000km on it. Salesman was pleased to announce it was his dads pride and joy and had only one stamp in the book....

Not for me.
    Reminds me of my mk5 tdi I bought.... got it with 240,000km on it. Put some poly bushings in the front and the damned thing felt like new again. Only other problem really was the drivers door wiring loom cracked at the hinge.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Only other problem really was the drivers door wiring loom cracked at the hinge.
    A sign of a properly used Mk5
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Take a sample of the oil and send it off for analysis. That will decide whether it needs replacement or not.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    I have been reading that Fully Synthic Oil has 3 times the shelf life of Mineral oils
    so if its just stored in the sump of a car would it deteriate faster ?
    The oil and filter is cheap, engine repairs aren’t.
    Even if the synthetic oil is stored properly in sealed container, I still wouldn’t want it in my engine once is 2 years and older.

It’s completely different story once the oil is in the engine, it’s life is much shorter due to oxidation and all sorts of contamination.

It’s very rare to see the use by date on the oils, but the longest I ever saw was on 208L drum of Mobil1 ESP5W30 few years ago, and it was 5years from the production date. The oil companies usually don’t like to tell what’s the safe use by date of the oils.

If you drive just 2,000km per year or anything up to 10,000km, change the oil and filter every 6month regardless of km. Otherwise don’t keep the car longer than 5 Years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12