Thread: Catch cans and connectors

Users Country Flag

Catch cans and connectors

Let’s talk catch cans/oil separators and connectors.

i’m keen to fit a catch can to my TDI, and maybe the wife’s TSI if we decide to keep it long term. I’d like to use original style fittings wherever possible.

So is anyone able to tell me the name of these style fittings? I’ll need one for the take-off at the breather, one for the intake just before the turbo. The catch can I choose (am leaning towards Provent for price and local Aus availability) may use different fittings - but that isn’t relevant just yet.

Can an anyone help with a name, and possibly an Aus seller of these hose fittings?
    Cheers

TSI does not need it AFAIK
    Provent is the best.
    Ebay is a good source, use the 5% off code.
    Connectors should be high temp silicone based. You can get them as part of a kit as well sometimes. Make sure you get the internal diameter right.
    If you are willing to take engine cover off it gives more flexibility.
    Try contacting @Greg Roles. He will give the best advice.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The problem with TSI is not with oil mist mixing with EGR particulate matter....it’s about the intercooler (belong front mount and down low) becoming loaded with oil. That’s not important for the moment though as it can be cleaned out. I want to deal with my TDI first.
    Cheers

Just pour boiling hot water over the pipe that has the clips. Wear gloves and remove the clips. That’s what I did. I own a 2.0 tdi. The internal diameter of the clips are 19mm if I remember. I also installed a provent. The diameter is 25mm. eBay search

HKBPVH-BB PROVENT HOSE KIT FIT MANN HUMMEL OIL CATCH CAN VENT SYSTEM 4WD DIESEL | eBay
    For the best and cleanest install for the provent

No need for boiling water mate, just press the squishy bits of one end and unplug then rotate it to a comfortable position and press squishy bit of that and pull off.
    If game enough, disconnect the intake from the main valve and give it a good clean.
    If relatively new car as in there is less likely to be a lot of gunk build up and more game read up and see videos and if you think you want to use LiquiMoly intake cleaner.

Edit that kit looks very good but is the internal diameter also spiral or is that smooth??
    Last edited by sn809; 15-04-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Smooth bore mate

Quote Originally Posted by Greenvagride View Post
    Just pour boiling hot water over the pipe that has the clips. Wear gloves and remove the clips. That’s what I did. I own a 2.0 tdi. The internal diameter of the clips are 19mm if I remember. I also installed a provent. The diameter is 25mm. eBay search

HKBPVH-BB PROVENT HOSE KIT FIT MANN HUMMEL OIL CATCH CAN VENT SYSTEM 4WD DIESEL | eBay
    For the best and cleanest install for the provent
    Did you use this system and if so how did it turn out?
    Cheers

Cleanest install. Yet pricey. Though worth it. 19 mm plus inner diameter oil hose doesn’t bend easy and is real pain. Although all depends on your mounting location

Quote Originally Posted by Greenvagride View Post
    Cleanest install. Yet pricey. Though worth it. 19 mm plus inner diameter oil hose doesn’t bend easy and is real pain. Although all depends on your mounting location
    I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and check out mounting locations.
    Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition My18