Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: allroad V6 TDI slow build

allroad V6 TDI slow build

After about a month of ownership, its about time I started a thread for the Octavia replacement.

Its a 2.5L V6 TDI electronically controlled VE pump diesel engine. Stock 132kW and 380Nm. 5 speed 'sports auto', which has a sport mode, tiptronic shift and also up/downshift rocker buttons on the steering wheel.

Factory Audi air suspension, 4 levels, 'sport', 'normal', 'high 1' and 'high 2'. High 2 is really for offroading, as the car will automatically change to high1 from high 2 over 35km/h. Likewise it will automatically change from high 1 to normal above 70km/h, and from normal to sport above about 150km/h.

Factory tilt and slide electric sunroof, Bose amped stereo with hidden sub, leather, tints etc. Ming blue is the colour.

I picked her up with 222,000km on the clock, but with an immaculate service history. Its been a bit neglected in terms of the exterior - not what I would call well kept, but the mechanical condition of the car was what sold it to me.

Since I got her, I have done the following:

> Polished out funny etchings on the bonnet and rear spoiler
    > Light polish of scratches from washing etc (swirl marks) - still a long way to go here
    > Carbon wrapped headlight switch
    > Carbon wrap rear bumper upper surface (original finish has been damaged by general wear and tear)
    > A bit of bumper black here and there
    > Lots of wax
    > Fixed a couple of minor interior trim things up.
    > Adjusted suspension height calibration using VCDS 15mm lower at the front and 10mm lower at the back (for all height settings)

Plans:

> 18x8.5 S5 rims
    > Downpipe back exhaust/decat. All in stainless of course and 2x2.5"
    > Replace head unit with something more modern
    > ECU tune

After that I'm not sure. I am hugley in love with this car though. Its like finally I have found a car that ticks all the right boxes for me - diesel, wagon, AWD, good noise, decent economy, fast enough, lots of space, plenty of grip, quiet, comfortable, and ofcourse, VAG.

The air suspension really makes this car. Without it.... well its an A6 Avant, but more than that, it just gives it such flexibility. The envelope of operations is waaay larger than most cars. Already I have taken this down some seriously steep and undulating 4wd tracks - nothing to compete with hardcore 4wd's ofcourse, but its more capable than most softroaders by a long way. Then with the press of a button, its transformed into a family sports wagon that corners seriously well considering its bulk and the (current) 225/55/17 tyres.

Anyway, some pics:

Carbon film on the bumper:

Test fit S5 rim on high 1

and on 'sport':

and the whole car whilst we were having lunch a few weekends ago:
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Oh. You don't even understand how jelly I am right now!

I was looking at these a few months back, but got a bit scared off by a few of their problems, and well, Audi tax. Can't wait to see this progress

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

audi tax?

They do have some horror stories around the net, but I reckon the TDI's are basically bulletproof as long as you look after them properly. All the stories of soft cams and stuff are nonsense as long as you use hte correct oil and change it at 15,000km like you are supposed to.

The air suspension isn't scary to people like you or I either.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

yea, sometimes you can pay stupid money for seemingly normal items (don't even buy an 80 cabriolet :O ). Probably the ones that are allroad specific I'd fear. This is just for those few random bits which you have to get from a dealer. Hopefully the aftermarket is good for service and normal maintenance items.

The engine would be the least of my concerns I think. Older design, but robust.

heard shockin things about the air ride. I was looking for ways to just replace it with a conventional aftermarket system, but I don't think there were any kits, and heard of a few struggles - after that, I stopped reading, and decided it wasn't what I was after in a new (to me) car.

So how long till you upgrade to a bigger VNT turbo

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    Looking good! How high does the car get with High 2???
    Daniel
    HIS - MY11 VW Golf R - Leather seats, Sunroof - DSG - 19" Talladegas - Black Headlights - Dynaudio - ACC - APR Stage 1 - Maniacs DSG Paddle Extension - Volant CAI -
    HERS - MY13 VW Passat Alltrack - Sports Pack - Panoramic Sunroof -

Users Country Flag
    Really liking the new project gldgti. Nice to see something a little different too - you certainly don't see too many of these around. Would love to see some more pics of it (engine/interior etc) when you get to it.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Actually I've been pleasantly surprised with mow much is available from the aftermarket.

I can get a full service filter kit for $160 (oil/air/pollen/fuel). Aftermarket airbag kits with lifetime warranty are around $1500 US for the full front and rear kit. A pair of yellow bilsteins for the front is $500. OEM timing belt kit about $300. Brake pads and rotors cost the same as every other car. Complete front end suspension kit (control arms, balljoints, bolts etc) for about $600.

I don't really see me paying much above what I would already have paid for maintenance things on the Skoda, for instance. I reckon if you can't find a part anywhere but the dealer, you aren't looking hard enough

Plus any VAG part you can get from any VAG dealer if you ask the right questions. I always visit the dealer parts store (for weird stuff like engine bolts etc) with a part number. I have bought all kinds of vag parts, VW, audi and skoda, through a vw dealer parts desk that was friendly to me .

You're right though, there are probably some things I don't know about yet.... haha. We shall see.

drad81 - the car goes another 15mm above high 1 on high 2.

I realise the pictures are a bit limited, sorry will get some more up for you soon
    Last edited by gldgti; 04-03-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Dirty beast

I got some new tyres on the S5 rims today... for those interested, the rims are 18x8.5 ET29, and the tyres are MOMO 245/45's. The S5 wheels fit just nicely without any spacers or anything. Any more offset (ie ET30 and over) would result in fouling on the suspension on the inside, so these are as far in as you can go with an 8.5" rim.

high 2...

mmm Sopporo 650ml bullet cans....

does my butt look big in these?

Inside shots as requested... apologies the whole car is looking rather 'used' and is quite dirty.

Last edited by gldgti; 08-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Looks great low, very good look for this car

Users Country Flag

Loving it. Can't wait to see the finished project!
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast