Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: allroad V6 TDI slow build

GLDGTI,

We had the pleasure of owning a similar '05 C5 allroad for several years. This was a great vehicle. You may have seen some of our history on OZAUDI. We unfortunately had a run of unusual failures that took the shine off a great car.
    Good luck with your Audi motoring.

regards

Robert
    2019 Skoda Superb 162kW
    2014 Skoda Octavia Elegance 110Tdi sedan (sold)
    2005 Audi Allroad TDI (sold)
    1968 VW Country Buggy (KO 606)

I'm hunting for one of these TDI allroads myself, I joined up on ozaudi and audizine to do research on the known issues, but I'm still keen. Got my eye on one from down in SA on carsales that fits the bill. It's got 190k on the clock but good service history, is in the colour I want and it's an 05 build.

Only thing missing is the walnut trim, it's just got the black trim, but every thigh else checks out.
    I test drove one in Sydney the other day with only 140k on it, service history left a bit to be desired and it was a 2.7 petrol. All black though with cc bumpers. Gave me a good indication of the size and handling of the vehicle, so I'm happier about continuing the search.

How's yours going now GldGti?

Sent by courier pigeon

Going very well, I honestly am so in love with the car. It does seem like some people end up paying a lot of money for repairs on allroads, but if you can diagnose, source parts and fix cars yourself, the only risk is that you will have to put some effort in at some stage.

So far, its been easy miles for me. Just ticked over 230,000km.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

allroad V6 TDI slow build

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Going very well, I honestly am so in love with the car. It does seem like some people end up paying a lot of money for repairs on allroads, but if you can diagnose, source parts and fix cars yourself, the only risk is that you will have to put some effort in at some stage.

So far, its been easy miles for me. Just ticked over 230,000km.
    Yeah I went to look at another 2.7 yesterday on my way home from work. Outside was ok but interior was shot. I had a look at his books and some of the previous owners service receipts were in there, he got bent over royally for suspension work not once but twice paying just under 1800 for one yes 1 airbag kit. I took some pics of the records which I'll upload later just to see peoples thought if these are the kind of expenses I'd be looking at on other allroads of similar age.

This was of particular concern under the engine.

Is this bag an OEM or ?
    Last edited by Foxpuppet; 15-07-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: pictures

Bag looks like an OEM one. mine have continental cast into them.

That one looks very leaky. run away!
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

also, you might want to take down the receipts or atleast the parts where you can read the owners name and address.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

also, you might want to take down the receipts or atleast the parts where you can read the owners name and address.
    I did think of that, but it's not the current owners details or even the guy before him
    I can though if you think it's warranted.

Sent by courier pigeon

Bag looks like an OEM one. mine have continental cast into them.

That one looks very leaky. run away!
    Yeah I told the guy thanks but no thanks. I've found a TDI here in Sydney that sounds ok but is a 2002 model with relatively low km. also in talks with a dealer in vic who has an 04 TDI with full audi centre melbourne service history, lowish km and only 1 owner. It looks very tidy but is 2k over what I want to spend.

Did all the autos have tiptronic controls on the steering wheel? If one doesn't have it could you simply change wheels to one with the buttons and do a bit of VAGCOM coding or is it more complex than that? I suppose the airbags would pose a difficulty.

Sent by courier pigeon

not sure if they all had the controls on the steering wheel, but i dont think ive ever seen one without them... have you?

Some modesl (like the 4.2's) or optioned up ones came with the 4 spoke wheels with other steering wheel controls, but i thought they all had the shift buttons on the steering wheels. I actually use mine every time I drive the car, as its great for forcing downchanges for engine braking especially.

I would be inclined to pay a bit more for a good service history. After buying ours for 10,750 I had a few momnets of buyers remorse, thinking i'd paid too much for a car that didnt look that great, but im very happy that its been well looked after mechanically as I keep hearing horror stories, but it seems like the biggest downfall of these cars is just not being properly looked after in the first place. I think if you keep up to the maintenance religiously and properly, theres no reason it should cost heaps of money. Mine is still on original airbags and shocks at 230k, the engine gives great power and economy, smooth and quiet and starts well, doesnt use more than half a litre of oil between changes.

As to the specifics of doing a steering wheel swap - I really dont know for sure, but I wouldnt expect it to be as easy as the more modern VAG cars. The allroad has a pretty archaic wiring setup which is very 90's, so theres less 'plug and play' but also, conversely, less mystery when things go wrong. its got a very ealry implementation which utilises canbus in a very, shall we say, minimalist way. great for towbar wiring
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Also, I've read a lot of cases regarding the air springs that a lots of people ended up getting air springs replaced when all they really needed fixing was the seals at the top - which is just an o-ring seal. Something to keep in mind. Air springs aren't as inherently unreliable as people seem to assume, modern trucks use them almost exclusively and they are great.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast