Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: allroad V6 TDI slow build

Thanks guys.

Got some material stock in at work for the new exhaust..... 3" downpipe will then split into 2x 2.5" pipes to go out the back. Should be more than free flowing
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Looking good.

Also good to see a silver bullet being drunk and used for scale

Yeah the old silver bullet.... lovely. I thought given the 'offroad' nature of the vehicle the taller can might be more useful

Rat bastard:

Luckily he (or she) didnt get through any copper, so some silicone tape and its all fixed. I am now running without the engine cover on, as I think the rat was attracted to the (what must be) tasty sound isolating foam glued onto the underside of the engine cover.

Actually benough, now you have given me an idea for exhaust tips..... as I had previously been at a loss as to what I will do for tips with the new exhaust.

Dad helped me change the ATF on the weekend, which is quite an involved job (need to have the car running and selecting between gears while you fill it!) but the trans feels much smoother now in the lower gears. I think I'll leave it till the next service and drop/refill it again as I only change 5.5L of the total 9L capacity (impossible to drop it all out, even with removing the sump and changing the trans oil filter inside).
    Last edited by gldgti; 24-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Can't wait to go for a drive (convoy style) with you along a nice windy road and see how composed it looks cornering.

IMHO, this is why you bought it: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyyFi4puQ7s

2007 Volkswagen Golf, MKV GTi, Schtock, RED
    1998 Seat Ibiza Cupra, ABF 2.0L 16V, BLAAAAAAAAACK, WEEKEND BABY
    1995 Seat Ibiza GTi, 2E 2.0L 8V, 15" E30 Rims, Alpine White. RACECAR!
    "I drive a Volkswagon - Therefore, by default I am better than you!"

Users Country Flag
    Howdy GLDGTI. Nice to see the Allroad taking shape! Being a 4wd owner, wondered if you or any other readers of the threads can advise me on some good options in tyres for the Octavia Scout (4x4). Size 225 50 17s. Has 25k on the four that were fitted just before we bought it (called 'something' rock or Rock-something - probably fitted cos they were not too pricey before selling the car), and they look to have another 5k in them at least - they look good and handle well, but are nothing spesh in the grip dep't (wet in particular). Unfortunately my knowledge of moto tyres doesn't help me at all with these babies; so many variations, such huge price diffs.

Obviously I don't need over-the-top track day rubber. At the end of the day it's a family beast, but I have always invested in good tyres (and I like to give it plenty of stick when noone's looking!) ... needing good rubber comes from trusting your life to that small contact patch on motos for 30 or 40 years, it being the last link between you and eternity.

Some of the tyres I thought might be good are selling at $350 ea! Goodyear Potenzas look the goods. Dunlop? Conti? Michelin? Pirelli? Any advice (from anyone) most welcome. I've tried to scour the threads to avoid asking a question that's maybe been asked many times before!

there are already many tyre related threads, you should have another search. If you are sticking with the 17" wheels and keeping the 50 profile tyres, then you wont get many performance oriented tyres as the profile is too high. Typically performance oriented tyres only come in the 45 and lower profiles, excepting small diameters (like 14 and 15").

I have put aside the stock 17" wheels (225/55/17 tyres) as the bulk of my usage is tarmac and the 18"s look better too. My new rubber has done nothing but impress me for the price, but again its the wrong profile for you.

The new tyres on the allroad are 245/45/18 MOMO outrun M3, which are an 'engineered in italy made in china' tyre, and they seem quite good. I got them for $160 each fitted.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the heads up. I understand what you're saying about the profile, but I don't fancy going too low profile as we'll inevitably be doing off-road miles (and I can just see nice 18 inch rims getting gouged on gutters!). Higher aspect ratio should add to the quiet factor as well. Might look into Michelin PS3s - I think Brad mentioned them and my nephew has them on his WRX and likes them (if I can get that size). How much leeway do I have with width or profile on the stock rim or should I just stick with the 225/50s??

You should ask that question in another thread in the wheels and tyres section
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
    or should I just stick with the 225/50s??
    Sorry for thread hijack GLDGTI

225/50r17 is the stock size on the current Audi A4. Heaps of people upgrade there base A4 to 18s or 19s and are stuck with 4 rims & tyres they can't give away because every other VW is 225/45r17. You should be able to pick up a set of decent rubber (6mm+ tread depth) from ebay, gumtree or one of the Audi/VW forums quite easily. I paid $300 for bridgestone RE050A with 7mm tread & good OEM alloys & think I probably paid too much .

There are a dozen ways to skin a cat & you are probably justified to start a new thread in the wheels / tyres section as your size is a bit odd. Don't forget to include your current rim width.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Little updates from the last couple of months:

> Installed an aftermarket DVD/BT/NAV system
    > Machine polished the whole car for the nats
    > Installed new front disks and EBC redstuff pads
    > Won 2nd place all audi at the nats
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast