Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 TDI Boost gauge install?

Users Country Flag

Nicely done. Location of it is good too. I think it was the hardest decision for you - where to fit that gauge?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Bump so that people can talk about gauges in here.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Users Country Flag
    Good idea Mick. And if anyone wants some pics or advice they can contact either of us, cause we've already "played the game" so to speak.
    Graphite Blue TDI| DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Custom LED inner tails | Black Forest TAI | OSIR Pod & New South Boost Gauge | Bluefin | Projector Fogs | RNS510 | Skoda Bluetooth | Eibach Pro kit Springs| Full LED interior|US GLI paddle shift MFSW|Carbon Vinyl wrapped trims|Colour Coded Votex Body Kit|

Hi there folks. I like the idea of this boost gauge install however I am having trouble locating the osir opod. Is it available in oz or did you import it ?. The "where to buy" link seems to have expired on their site. Also , have you had any problems with it. Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Try rennenhaus.com.au - but email Ian as it is not on his site.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

is the scangauge really that bad when it comes to lag?

i think i read somewhere that their new scangauge pro (?)has a function where you enter your daily drive altitude, which the scangauge then compensates for in terms of pressure, and displays manifold pressure better than the previous scangauge 2?

even if the boost readings are slightly delayed, wouldnt scangauge still provide enough info to let you know if you've got boost creep/ too-high boost spikes?

lag in the guage - seriously!

i have 3 guages in my mk3 - boost, EGT and oil pressure, all steppermotor type and all are fast to react.

i think having altitude compensation is totally pointless too - i'll tell you why - on a low pressure day, at 1000m, if you switch on the ignition but not start the engine i see the boost guage reads a little into the vaccum side, about equivalent to 1.5psi. i think maybe on other continents where they have real mountains, it might be worth considering, but here in fair, sunny and flat oz, i dont think so

1.5 psi is not enough variance to make any difference, considering that your diesel will hit 30psi on occasion and mostly max out around 18-20.

add to that the fact that driving along is not usually a good time to be taking constant, accurate data from your boostguage - i've been living with mine for over 12 months now and honestly its just there in the corner of my eye. i dont use it to drive by or anything, more as a diagnostic tool - like a glance at EGT and boost at the top of a long hill, or if i notice a bit of smoke out the back, etc.

anyway, i have found that the racetech guages i am using seem to be very good. they are very, very good value. 3 guages with sensors cost me $260 posted to my door from an ebay seller.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

thanks for the feedback gld.

i guess my flaw is that i want my cake, and to eat it, too. if i could find a real-time boost gauge that plugs into the obd port, im sold.

I brought the scangauge and couldn't be happier. The s/g was set to fast response and there is no lag. Boost peaks at 23psi at 1800rpm, then tapers to 18 by 3000. I also display inlet temp.water temp.and volts. Inlet temp will be at ambiant or a deg. lower, turn the air con on and it goes up 7-10 deg at freeway speeds. My water temp has hit 105 deg after a flogging but the gauge in the dash stayed on 90. There is a oil temp/ low level sender in the sump.and am working with linear logic to bring this online

Question

Looks like that gauge fits where a highly usefull air vent used to once be. The vent being replaced by non adjustable air holes? Is this correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast