Thread: Transmission stuck in one gear on my 02 Passat v6 wagon

Transmission stuck in one gear on my 02 Passat v6 wagon

Sorry if i sound like i dont know what im on about but im a first time VW owner and im still learning about the car...

Hi I have an 02 Passat wagon v6 30V with a tiptronic gearbox but its stuck in one gear and I was told it could be the TCM but when I put it in drive and reverse it bangs into gear and sound like the gearbox is going to fall out.

I've been constantly searching reading Forums and done things that other people suggested like checked under the carpet made sure there was no water in or around the TCM. I've disconnected the TCM disconnected the battery to try and reset the computer but didn't work. So I took it to a mechanics and he hooked it up to also try and reset it but also never worked.

So I'm stuck and have no idea what to do or how to figure out what the problem is. Please help and thanks in advance

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L02 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by barnzy88 View Post
    Sorry if i sound like i dont know what im on about but im a first time VW owner and im still learning about the car...

Hi I have an 02 Passat wagon v6 30V with a tiptronic gearbox but its stuck in one gear and I was told it could be the TCM but when I put it in drive and reverse it bangs into gear and sound like the gearbox is going to fall out.

I've been constantly searching reading Forums and done things that other people suggested like checked under the carpet made sure there was no water in or around the TCM. I've disconnected the TCM disconnected the battery to try and reset the computer but didn't work. So I took it to a mechanics and he hooked it up to also try and reset it but also never worked.

So I'm stuck and have no idea what to do or how to figure out what the problem is. Please help and thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Do yourself a favour and change the default location in your profile. It'll give us a better chance of helping you.

If there's no signs of water ingress, from your symptoms, I didnt that that likely.

I think you'll discover the fault is in the valve body.

I had a similar problem a few years back. Same box but in a 1.8t. It would bang into reverse, but shifted fine forwards. You needed to rev it up quite a bit to get enough pressure to engage the gear.

As a minimum, you need to have it scanned for faults in the TCU. I think you'll be dropping the pan and looking at the valve body though.

Mine had an o ring sticking out the side of a port after a spring clip broke. I found this on the magnets in the pan.

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your reply.

Oh ok sorry about that I'll change it right away...

Really? Bugger sounds like a big job. No worries so I should just take it back to the guy who tried to reset it and see if he can scan for faults.

Is it a job I could do myself and was it an expensive fix for you?

Thanks so much for your reply though I had a feeling it was going to be something more then that.

But I'll go ahead and do what you recommend and I'll let ya know how I go.

Thanks again
    James

Users Country Flag

Use Optimumcode at gmail. Com. Send me a phone number I'll call you