Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation

Users Country Flag

Yeah, you pull out the old indicators, the new ones have correct harness plugs to plug into the car's connectors there.

Run 12v power through the firewall to the fusebox.
    Connect to existing parkers either in the headlamp connector or tap the wire and insulate.
    Can be done without removing the whole bumper assembly as reported by others, I chose to remove the bumper to replace HID globes as well.

Bob's your mother's brother.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Couldn't you just connect the Red wire to the "Parker" power, and the Blue wire to the Xenon Power. Therefore the DRL would be on with the parker and dim'd with the Xenon?

Are you guys running the DRL without the parkers?
    | 2008 R36 Wagon | Black | Dynaudio | Auto-Tailgate | RNS510 | RVC |

Users Country Flag
    You need to run continuous 12v from the fuse box.
    Otherwise you would only have the DRLs on when you turned on the parkers. Not the point of DRLs.
    The trigger can be run from parkers or headlights. Technically should be from parkers.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Ok, Well why not just use the fuse box under the hood, there are plenty of "power when running" points. Are you likely to want your day time running lights on when the car isn't running?

Because I assume if you're hooking them to your accessories, then if you're sitting waiting in the car listening to music, your DRL's are going to be on. Maybe something that is going to look weird at night.

EDIT: Scrub that, radio works without accessories.
    Last edited by b j p; 15-02-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Users Country Flag
    So installed this, with switch on accessories powered fuse, (don't know when i'll need to turn them off, but at least I have the option.) If you want them on all the time, I don't see the point on running the wire through the firewall, when you can use the fuse box in the engine bay. Photo's to follow.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, everyone has different wants with regards to when they come on. Mine only come on when you push the key into the second position (ie the position right before the starter motor kicks in) so if I have accessories on, they aren't on at all. It was really easy to get through the firewall in the end. Pretty easy install once you know what you're doing. I have installed three DRL's sets of various shapes and sizes now. Gets easier every time!!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    LED parkers arrived yesterday. Installed and looking great.

LED's now right through the interior except footwell (thinking about red LED's for this), DRL's and LED puddle lights.

Great mods and easy to do.
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Hi guys

A couple of questions if you could kindly help:

- I want the DRLs to be on when I unlock the car, or when it is running. I guess the only time to want them to be off is when the car is locked. Any idea which fuse I can connect to for this?

- Alternatively, if I want them to be on only when the car is running, can I just connect the power wire to a fuse in the engine bay that has power running through it when the car is running?

- I dont actually mind if they dont dim when the parkers/headlights are on, therefore if I dont connect the second wire, will they technically be on at 100% whenever the DRLs are powered?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyjak View Post
    Hi guys

A couple of questions if you could kindly help:

- I want the DRLs to be on when I unlock the car, or when it is running. I guess the only time to want them to be off is when the car is locked. Any idea which fuse I can connect to for this?
    You are going to need a few more parts mate to get something like this going. Ie. a relay that you can have two inputs in and one outlet but I am not knowing if there is something like this without doing some searching so you might have to have a look on that one.
    - Alternatively, if I want them to be on only when the car is running, can I just connect the power wire to a fuse in the engine bay that has power running through it when the car is running?
    Possibly, but you will have to do some testing with a test light. Can't tell you without doing it myself. Easier to just wire it into one of the fuses in the end of the dash with a piggyback fuse connector as they come on when the ignition is on just before the starter motor kicks in.
    - I dont actually mind if they dont dim when the parkers/headlights are on, therefore if I dont connect the second wire, will they technically be on at 100% whenever the DRLs are powered?
    Yes.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag

- A wouldn't say that was true. There are heaps of things that get power when you unlock the car; the puddle mirrors for instance. You could use that as a power source if you wanted to. Not sure why you'd want that to happen though.

- I wouldn't say it was easier either to go through the firewall because you have to run the cable, cable tie it etc, when the fuse box under the bonnet is within <20cm from the DRL control box can be mounted. My issue with using under the bonnet was that I wanted the ability to switch them on and off if I needed which is why I ran it internally and installed the switch. They are not ADR approved which means you could get booked for them in QLD (assuming a police officer knew they didn't come standard and was having a bad day) not sure about other states. Although this is a very very minor possibility.

You can use any of the three (10amp) at the bottom right of this picture if you just want them on when you start the car.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-2012-07-15_142130_fusebox-jpg  

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast