Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overseas 19x9 +33 Omanyts

Users Country Flag

Overseas 19x9 +33 Omanyts

Hey all,

So I'm currently running the factory R36 wheels which are 18x8 ET44. I'm looking for a more aggressive fitment, but I haven't found many wheels I like the look of more than the Omanyt. So I am considering going for the Tiguan R-Line Omanyt, which is a 19x9 ET33, with an excellent concave and slightly sleeker design. Rubber isn't a problem and the fitment will be pretty flush on an R36 which should work great at stock height and is exactly what I want, the big problem is actually buying these wheels for a good price. Given they were not available in Australia, they are pretty expensive for OEM quality wheels. VW importing them for me is totally out of the question as my local (Solitaire) quoted over $1800 per wheel. ECS Tuning have them at $3165 USD shipped for the set, which with 10% GST is around $3900-4000 AUD delivered.

Here is the wheels on the Tiguan they came from.
    Here is a sadly tiny picture showing them on an R36.
    Here is a bigger picture of them on an R36, except the guy has chromed them for some reason.
    Here is an unrelated car/wheel with identical tyre fitment.

Despite all the info, my question is pretty simple. Does anyone know of a better/cheaper alternative than ECS for obtaining these wheels, or are they the best bet? $1k a corner isn't bad for the perfect wheel, but it's worth asking the question.
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Here's a few of the pictures (rather than links):

I don't think the chrome looks all that bad given the amount of chrome already on the car it does tie in (but get out your sunglasses).

Please remember that you can't consider fitment of this size rim on any other car as the dimensions are different from one vehicle to another. The distance from the wheel hub to the inside of the guard will determine what width/offset rim you can run without having it poke out from the guards.

From the photos above these look like this fitment may poke on a Passat. A 19x9 ET33 rim on a Tiguan still needs guard extensions to be legal. You can see that in the picture above it's got alltrack looking plastics fitted to make the guards fatter. If you put this rim on a stock Tiguan it won't be legal.

So I suggest finding out what the largest wheel size you can legally fit on a Passat before spending $4k on a set of wheels that quite possibly isn't going to be legal to run here in Australia.

Find a rim/tyre the size you're looking at and put it on your car to make sure of the fitment before committing to any order. It could save you a lot of heartache (and explanations to the wife).
    Last edited by tigger73; 15-09-2014 at 07:28 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Have you checked out the VMR 702?

Well under $2k landed. They're a very good wheel.

V702
    CR Audi RS3
    PW Golf 7 GTI

Users Country Flag
    tigger73,
    The R36's come standard with the guard extensions but I do tend to agree, $4k is a lot of coin to throw on something that may fit. Jakeys, I would try and find a rim with the same stats (or extremely close) and whack them on the beast to make sure that they are what you are after before you purchase. Good luck mate. I'm considering as well but I can't decide on a rim yet and it will depend on what I am allowed to spend from my allowance!!!

Edit: I am also considering the VMR's but the v710 model. They look nice!
    Last edited by snerlo; 15-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Going from 18x8 ET44 to 19x9 ET33 is around 23-24mm extra "poke" which is a lot (11mm higher offset plus 12.5mm in extra width on the outer edge of the rim).

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I am all for OEM+ looks, but I'd be looking at doing that by acquiring a set second hand for a lot less than $4k - that's a lot of cash to spend on an OEM wheel.

As mentioned the VMR 702 is a smart looking wheel and can be had in 19 for under $2k; alternately if you want to spend up then $4k is well into BBS, OZ and Rays territory.

While the VMR710 is a decent looking wheel as well, have a google of Passat R36 and BBS CH-R.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Just had a squizz at the VMR website.
    Great value rims and some nice (IMHO) designs.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Also factor in 12% duty i think.

Users Country Flag
    Have you considered the VW Savannah style wheel.
    It was an option on the Tiguan overseas and came in 19 x 9 ET33 as well.
    There are a few sets floating around.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Please remember that you can't consider fitment of this size rim on any other car as the dimensions are different from one vehicle to another. The distance from the wheel hub to the inside of the guard will determine what width/offset rim you can run without having it poke out from the guards.
    Thanks, that photo was just to show the tyre fitment on the rim, not the car itself.

From the photos above these look like this fitment may poke on a Passat. A 19x9 ET33 rim on a Tiguan still needs guard extensions to be legal. You can see that in the picture above it's got alltrack looking plastics fitted to make the guards fatter. If you put this rim on a stock Tiguan it won't be legal.

So I suggest finding out what the largest wheel size you can legally fit on a Passat before spending $4k on a set of wheels that quite possibly isn't going to be legal to run here in Australia.

Find a rim/tyre the size you're looking at and put it on your car to make sure of the fitment before committing to any order. It could save you a lot of heartache (and explanations to the wife).
    Fair point well taken, my current understanding though is they will sit flush for an R36, but would poke on a stock Passat. This is what I'm after. A lot of people are already running this fit, but I have not been able to see it in person for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    Have you checked out the VMR 702?

Well under $2k landed. They're a very good wheel.

V702
    Similar, but so are my current wheels. Bit of a perfectionist I guess, but I wouldn't be happy with those. Can't complain about the price though!

Going from 18x8 ET44 to 19x9 ET33 is around 23-24mm extra "poke" which is a lot (11mm higher offset plus 12.5mm in extra width on the outer edge of the rim).
    I am aware of all the stats, cheers. Inner clearance is no issue due to the offset change, and while I'm not 100% yet, by measuring my own car and reading the experience of others, I am certain outer clearance is right. Keep in mind, I've seen several stock or lowered R36's running either these or the identically sized/offsetted Savannah wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    I am all for OEM+ looks, but I'd be looking at doing that by acquiring a set second hand for a lot less than $4k - that's a lot of cash to spend on an OEM wheel.

As mentioned the VMR 702 is a smart looking wheel and can be had in 19 for under $2k; alternately if you want to spend up then $4k is well into BBS, OZ and Rays territory.

While the VMR710 is a decent looking wheel as well, have a google of Passat R36 and BBS CH-R.
    Yeah, this was why I was looking elsewhere. For the money you do get into higher quality wheel territory, but it's worth appreciating that I don't track this car, so I will see negligible benefit from the OEM vs those wheel manufacturers. So it comes down to style, and I reckon these are better looking for this particular car/my particular vision than any BBS/Rays offering, as amazing as many of their wheels are. So I'd rather pay for these than the others if the prices are the same. The TE37 Tokyo Time Attack is one of my favourite wheels ever for instance, and is obviously higher quality than OEM, but is totally not suited to the R36 styling.

Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Have you considered the VW Savannah style wheel.
    It was an option on the Tiguan overseas and came in 19 x 9 ET33 as well.
    There are a few sets floating around.
    I have, actually, thanks! I figured in the end I really want the Omanyts, but I did consider the Savannah for a while and I'm still not 100% on anything. If the right cheap set of Savannahs came along at the right time for instance I might be swayed. If anything I'd really prefer second hand Omanyts too but I suspect that will be a hard buy given they weren't available in Oz and a lot of the second hand ones have gutter rash, which is next to impossible to fix because of the diamond cut lip.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast