Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lost key FOB

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AALocksmiths View Post
    The transponder and the remote are separate so the transponder chip does not affect the frequency. However the dealer CAN NOT program this key. When the keys are ordered though the dealer network the new key is pre-coded for your car and can only be coded to your car, as you have bought an aftermarket key it does not have the pre-coding on it, so through the dealer it will never work.
    So, reading between the lines, you're saying an automotive locksmith can still do it...?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy77 View Post
    So, reading between the lines, you're saying an automotive locksmith can still do it...?
    Correct. You may find though that they would only supply their own key and not use the one you have bought. I personally do this for a pretty important reason.

First, there is a lot of rubbish out there, if I programmed in your key and it stopped working the next day and it was a quality issue then there is no warranty, you would be out of pocket and wont have a working key, best case you get your money back from the guy on Ebay on the key that cost him $20.

If its a key that I supplied and the key stopped working then I would get it sorted at no cost to the customer ( the way it should be). So keep that in mind if you find someone who will code your key. It might end up better spending a bit more and getting a warranty with it.

Users Country Flag
    this seems the best place to put info about key replacements.
    Our Mk V lost key went in the local supermarket. So we are getting a replacement from Northside Car Keys.
    Cost of $340 of which $55 is for a 'longer process needed to de-code the old key'.

It seems from reading in here that you can't add a new key without automatically killing off any old keys, so I wonder if that's not a fudge?

Its still cheaper than the $530-odd quoted by a Bris-vegas VW dealer. And quicker. this is same day, the dealer needs to order overseas and its two weeks or so.

I was going to buy the fob/remote online and get the dealer to order in the switchblade part and do the coding, but this seems a better deal.
    Any views ?
    MY09 Golf Candy White 2.0 TDI Pacific
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    If you lost the old key how can it be de-coded?

The only way I can think of doing this is to give your car a completely new code which shouldn't be possible without rewiring several major components.

A mate of mine says he can buy a blank key and with a bit of electronic trickery get the car to accept it. Only cost is buying a new key.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    If you lost the old key how can it be de-coded?

The only way I can think of doing this is to give your car a completely new code which shouldn't be possible without rewiring several major components.

A mate of mine says he can buy a blank key and with a bit of electronic trickery get the car to accept it. Only cost is buying a new key.
    Thanks for the quick response.
    With the Mk Vs that seems to be correct.

The question is whether it is a separate process to exclude the old 'lost' key from operating the ignition while programming the new key? (it will still be able to key the lock).

In other parts of this thread and another in here, it looks like only the keys you have present are activated when the new key coding is done.

In which case, I'm being charged extra for someone to do what happens as part of the process?
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    I'll talk to my mate and get the full story. What he doesn't know about car electrics isn't worth knowing.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks mate. I've booked for Monday at this stage, so going ahead one way or another

This is the link that still has the best explanation of key codes. Its a simple blade screwdriver inserted in the midriff to prey them apart and the code os on the back. (Youtube has videos if your as dumb as me.)

My HLO 1KO code being a later MkV ends in G. You can buy remotes overseas but have to watch that its a 434mh not 433 frequency which apparently won't work in Australia.

I understand Mk VI keys are one piece, and I hear that the Mk VII codes are not yet cracked aftermarket.

Volkswagen Key Fob Immobiliser and Transmitter | my-gti.com

Very happy to have any of this corrected by those who know more.
    Last edited by yowie; 17-12-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: more info
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag
    New keys can be coded and leave the existing keys storred in the car but it isn't always straight forward to do, also not advisable as you don't want someone finding your key and taking your car. Have fun explaining that to your insurance company.

There is one tool that I know of that can code keys for a MK7 but requires a dealer key and a lot of work to do. personally the risk isn't worth the reward so make sure you have a spare key for this car, otherwise if you loose your only key you are waiting for the dealer.

Users Country Flag
    So had my key supplied and cut today.

Cost was $435 total including supply of fob and key, cutting onsite, immobiliser reprogram and delete of the lost key.
    Came to me.

The little 14mm VW logo badge, which I've ordered online from China for $4.31, as opposed to $50 on Ozzie fleabay, will complete the job.

Only thing is the middle, boot, button doesn't work, but I don't recall that it ever did.
    MY95 Golf III TDI

Users Country Flag

At least you're back on the road.

And another reason I love MK1 Golfs so much. Probably get mine started with paddle pop stick.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567