Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Camshaft Position Sensor + Engine speed sensor B5.5 V6 2003 Passat

Users Country Flag

Give Matt at Camden GTI a call. He knows these cars. 02 4627 3072

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

For the sake of anyone experiencing similar issues (constant misfiring, hesitation and no power especially going up hills in higher gears) with the 2.8 V6 Passat in future:

1) The following fault codes were being thrown.

* 17755 P1347 Camshaft Position Sensor 2-G163 Engine Speed Sensor - G28: Incorrect Allocation.
    * 17748 P1340 Camshaft Position Sensor - G40 engine speed sensor - G28: Incorrect Allocation.
    * Once cleared and revved the car was throwing a fault code for a misfire on cylinder 2 only, this kept coming back when free reving.

Check the spark lead wires by spraying them with some water using a mist bottle (think hair salon). If the wires are cracked from age you might be able to see some visible electrical discharges.

Check the spark plugs, if its a single spark plug like mine was you can try swapping it around with another spark plug to see if the misfire code follows the plug.

Check the injectors (i didn't have to do this).

If nothing else is showing any signs, change the Ignition Coil Pack. This fixed my car, i used part number 078-905-104 BREMI 11866 off of a 1999 Passat in my 2003 Passat after checking with VW that the parts are identical. An Auto Electrician was telling me I must use one from a 2003 only, however VW said that the exact same part would be shipped for multiple cars A6 / Skoda etc.

P.s the part is $1200 from VW lol.......... I got one off a wreck, easy job just be careful of the plug wires they will be very brittle if still original.
    Last edited by g0harvey; 28-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Previous Rides: B5 Passat V6, B6 Passat 2.0T, 3CC Passat CC, '11 Touareg 3.0TDI.
    Current Ride: Audi S3 Sedan - Performance Pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12