Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESP in Snow

ESP in Snow

Hi Guys

Have an R36 Wagon.

As you know it has AWD and ESP.
    As VW state that chains shouldnt be fitted to this car, I am wondering how ESP may or may not help when driving on snow.

Obviously AWD will definitely help, and driving in manual mode to use the gears to help you slow down when decending a mountain will help as well.

But does anyone here know how much of a help ESP is on snow when going both uphill and downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Hi Guys

Have an R36 Wagon.

As you know it has AWD and ESP.
    As VW state that chains shouldnt be fitted to this car, I am wondering how ESP may or may not help when driving on snow.

Obviously AWD will definitely help, and driving in manual mode to use the gears to help you slow down when decending a mountain will help as well.

But does anyone here know how much of a help ESP is on snow when going both uphill and downhill?
    ESP can reduce/limit power and apply brakes to individual spinning wheels which lose traction so it should work a treat in snow. shouldn't be any different in principle with an AWD setup.
    had a passat tdi. now mb c class.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Um, I believe most of the testing of ESP was done on snow and ice to demonstrate just how good it is. If I understand correctly, ESP is not just a piece of technology on its own, it uses other technology such as ABS and Traction Control in order to achieve vehicle control:

Handling demonstrations:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiZjeeMExY4

Bosch ESP testing segment on 5th Gear showing ESP in all sorts of icy conditions including on slopes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-hHWSQhKuc&feature=fvw

Basically, it is the best thing to use in snow.

Also check out the Bosch site for clips of it in action:
    http://www.bosch-escential.com/us/la...nimations.html
    Last edited by Arctra; 30-07-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarrification.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

there is a possibility that the clips and testing was done using winter tyres, wheras there is a good probability you are currently using summer tyres.

perhaps carry these? http://www.autosock.com.au/

and follow this thread http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...ghlight=chains
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

Users Country Flag
    Yeah snow socks all the way. Put a set on the front and the rear and you'll have more grip and control than any other car with chains.

I can tell you from experience in the R36, that ESP, AWD, TC, ABS, Summer high performance tyres and the electronic emergency brake do not help what so ever when you hit ice.

Just called up to get a quote for the Autosock, $200 for a pair.
    I'll pick them up next time I'm in Cooma, they look fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Cro View Post
    I can tell you from experience in the R36, that ESP, AWD, TC, ABS, Summer high performance tyres and the electronic emergency brake do not help what so ever when you hit ice.
    no doubt the laws of physics still apply- if you're going too fast you've got big problems . from MY experience ESP is a huge safety improvement over no ESP.
    had a passat tdi. now mb c class.

Quote Originally Posted by Cro View Post
    What is a electronic emergency brake?

Unless you're confused with the electric park brake?

Quote Originally Posted by tryingavw View Post
    no doubt the laws of physics still apply- if you're going too fast you've got big problems . from MY experience ESP is a huge safety improvement over no ESP.
    I agree 100%
    I will never buy a car again without ESP, the safety benefits are just amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast