bluetooth cuts MDI audio
I have my iPhone connected via an MDI cable (the iPhone one rather than free USB on that's thrown in). I can control the msic and podcasts loaded on the iPhone from the head unit etc. Sweet!
However, when the bluetooh connects the phone, what I'm listening to via the MDI cable is cut off. The tracks still playing but no sound can be heard. The only way I've found to remedy this is to unplug the phone from the MDI cable and reconnect. frustrating..
Does anyone know if this is a known issue and if there is a fix or workaround?
It's something to do with A2DP. The iPhone has a nasty habit of trying to push everything through bluetooth - I had a problem with my BlueAnt S4 when the iPhone would monopolise the handsfree every time it had to make a noise (any noise - email, SMS, lock screen), and would override any audio from the other handset which was also connected simultaneously (Multipoint).
Originally Posted by Scullers
To fix it, I had to disable A2DP on the iPhone, which stops the iPhone from trying to stream any audio other than phone audio over bluetooth. There is an app for all IOS below 4.3.1 called Bluetooth Profile Selector, but it requires your iPhone to be jailbroken. Apparently there is another app that will work for IOS4 and IOS5, but it's still a bit rough around the edges, and still requires a jailbroken iPhone.
have the same problem and visited friendly local dealer now four times. I have 3 different i-devices in the family and it's the same with them all.
First visit: there is no problem. you just need to read the manual carefully
Second visit: verified the defect. tested several new cars on the lot and found them to also have the defect. Many phone calls to assure me that they are going to resolve it with a software update. Then silence
Third visit: There's no problem. No record of a problem. No record of a complaint.
Fourth visit: Problem confirmed and it's a hardware failure on some connector, but it's just on defective unit and isn't true of any other car. They will order the part and install.
to confirm. VW apparently knows of the bugs and is choosing to not accept bug reports or work on them.
There's not really much they can do about it. The issue is on the iPhone, not the headunit.
I'd suggest waiting for the phone to pair before plugging it into the MDI cable. That works for me. If I'm impatient, I just disable the player functionality from the MFD using the steering wheel controls.