Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B7 fog/DRL surround R&R

Users Country Flag

B7 fog/DRL surround R&R

Had a couple of people asking me how to remove the fog/cornering & DRL surround from the Passat, so as I wanted to replace the fog light bulbs (turned out I didn't as I thought they were H1, but they're H8), thought I'd take some pics while I was at it.

And before anyone asks, I haven't had the passat resprayed Sandman metalic purple, it's just a reflection from the rag I was sitting on.

The procedure was done to the righthand side surround (i.e the drivers side on a RH drive car).

1. remove single screw located on outer side:

Do not be tempted to remove this one as it is the beam adjuster:

You'll see it when you get the surround off:

2. Gently pull the top part of surround away from body a little (this is not the right way, but I find it lets the assembly flex a little and makes the next step easier)

3. Grab the centre 'fin' and pull, quite hard. As it starts to come away, push from the RH side where you removed the screw from (this takes some jiggling and is really quite hard as the whole unit is just held in by plastics clips, so don't be afraid to pull hard, just make sure that when this starts to come that you slide the unit across towards the centre of car so the side tabs (near the screw) come clear (you'll see what I mean when you do it):

4. The surround should now be in your hands!

5. To remove the bulb housing, just remove the two screws:

6. You can just see here where I mounted the resistors for the LED:

REPLACMENT
    This is where you can get into trouble. If you look at the back of the surround you will see two tabs sticking out at 90degrees. If you don't get these located properly at the start, they will bend over easily - then when you straighten them, chances are they'll snap off.

So, make sure you have these tabs located into their slots, then line up the tabs on the otherside so that they will slide in - it's sort of a push on the right, while at the same time sliding to the left, but remember to double check that those 90degree tabs are actually in their slots.

A bit of a push and slide, then locate all the top and bottom tabs on the rest of the surround, replace the screw and you're done!
    Last edited by clip; 30-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks for the thread, very helpful.

You converted your DRL's to LED right? Could you please just confirm which bulbs you used? I want to order some and change mine over whilst I'm on holidays and have the time to fiddle around with the car.

Regards,
    Ryan

Users Country Flag

Thumbs up B7 fog/DRL surround R&R

A big hat-tip to Clip for his assistance with the procedure here.
    I’ve now successfully changed my DRL lamps and added a few pics of my own to help others with the removal.

1. I sacrificed a wooden clothes peg here to get the surround removal started. Began at the outside with thinnest part of the peg and moved inwards until enough room to get my fingers underneath.

2. After enough of the surround is exposed, slip the peg into the gap as shown…

3. … then leaver it out. This works well if grabbing the centre ‘fin’ and pulling isn’t working.

4. Wedge between the bottom ‘fin’ gap and leaver to pop the surround out at the bottom.

5. Then grab and remove as per Clips description.

6. Use the peg to assist in sliding the surround from the outside towards the centre.

The LEDs I used for this are from here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BA15s-1156-4...item1e7172b0fb

A surprising outcome is that I didn't need to fit the load resisters, no CANBus error.

I've also fitted these LEDs to the parking lights, they are equipped with built-in resisters and work great:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Error-8-S...item20c5d6d802

Last edited by jpmccorm; 01-10-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    John

MY12.5 B7 Passat Wagon – TDI Highline ł Icelandic Grey ł Black Nappa Leather
    panoramic glass roof ł auto tailgate ł mud-flaps ł tinted

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great idea with the wooden clothes peg John. Glad you got the photo's sorted too (disregard my last PM). Thanks for the link to the bulbs too. I really want to replace all bulbs (rear number plate, parkers etc), so hopefully these will work.

Has anyone had any success doing their puddle lights yet? If so, could you let me know how you did it please? I'm too scared to have a crack at it
    Last edited by clip; 01-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Have you done the reversing lights, what bulb type are they?
    John

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmccorm View Post
    No, haven't thought about doing them. Not sure if I could get them bright enough. I have trouble seeing out the rear as it is becuase of the tint, especially when I touch the brakes (it floods the rear window in red), if anything I need brighter ones.

Just ordered a heap of those bulbs for parkers etc. Looking forward to getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmccorm View Post
    For LED reverse lights, read this thread from #29:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...2-72103-3.html

All the details are in there including links to suppliers used.

My car is coming home (after being away for 2 months being repaired after collecting a roo with the front left bi-xenon!). Am going to be putting my reverse LED lights in (been sitting gathering dust as I got them just prior to that drive) as well as doing the front LEDs as per this thread after a nice long drive first . . .

Many thanks guys for the great instructions and photos - love the creative use of wooden clothes peg (very helpful to people such as me who come with size 10 fingers and try to do jobs needing size 2 fingers!).

Re Puddle lights - have read elsewhere that the Passat is similar to the Golf, so you may want to check out some of the Golf threads on this . . . have not done mine yet, so may be wrong.
    MY12.5 B7 Passat Wagon : : TDI Highline : : Icelandic Grey : : black leather interior
    sports pack | sat-nav | panoramic glass roof | adaptive cruise control | driver/lane assist | bi-xenons/LEDs | RVC plus | auto-park | auto tailgate | tow-bar | mud-flaps | sill-protection | wood trim - ||| - Lakin plate mounts | tinted | Opti-Coat | LED reverse lights | bright white driving lights + turn lights (LEDs were too 'dim')

Users Country Flag
    Super impressive shipping from HK, standard rate and still quicker than a lot of Oz stores.

Let us know if there's much improvement with your new H8 globes when you get them done too.
    John

Users Country Flag
    thanks mate, great info. will definately put this to use in a month

Purchased these:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120876614917

Installed - no errors/globe out warnings
    Last edited by dopey; 18-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast