Support VWWC

Thread: 235 or 245 /40R18

Users Country Flag

235 or 245 /40R18

Hi Guys,

New owner of an 08' R36 and having a bit of a research on tyres in the quiet moments.

Currently running the Michelin PS3s and love them. (235/40R1

Just wondering if anyone has gone up to a 245 on the standard rims and their experiance?

Only a 1.24% variation in diameter, so speed variation is acceptiable. The 245s seem to jump quite a bit in price though.

Thoughts?

Nigel

Users Country Flag
    Im currently running 245/40/18 on my rears and 235 on the fronts. Very little difference really, i just managed to score some 245s cheaper, it does push out the tyre a bit more though. In terms of driving i havent had much chance to push it and it seems the same.
    R36

245 would put you on the outer limits of the width of the rims (Assuming std R36 alloys)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies Guys,

Running 245 on the front of our BMW on 8x18" and very happy with the performance. Standard R36 are 8x18"?

I'm assuming with the 4wd system it would not be a good idea to run different diameters?

Think I will see what's about when the time comes to replace. At the end of the day I don;t think 10mm is going to make much difference.

Nigel

Users Country Flag

Hi B da B,

Can't directly help as I am running 235/35's on 19" rims - which are also 8" wide (on an R36). Cannot see how the extra width would be a problem - I used to run 245/45ZR16 on my old Supra (although they were a hard size to find).

The only possible thought would be rubbing, as I know it is a relatively tight fit under the wheel arches, but from looking at mine, I don't see it being an issue, unless you have dropped your R36 lower than usual. I did read somewhere that there are problems trying to roll the arches in the R36 so caution was needed with wheels and lowering.