Thread: B5 Passat Wagon

B5 Passat Wagon

Hi all,

Im in the market for a new car and really want to purchase a Passat wagon 98-01. Just wondering what to look for in these particular models? What engine should i look for the 1.8T or the 2.8 v6 is or both equally as good? Any particular issues i should be aware of? what are the transmission like etc?
    I have never owned a VW before (well a 1960s beetle just a little different) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers Ben

There were some changes in this model around 9-99 & again later
    The 1.8t is the most popular choice, it has the best economy & can be easily tuned to increase power way beyond that of the standard v6,which is very popular to do with this engine. There is alot of information in other forums
    They have one of the first smart/semi auto transmision, that are known to be problematic if the control unit under the shifter is exposed to liquid. 5 speed manual is good to drive with a reasonably high top gear
    Check for the most service history & other obvious things likr climate control, central locking & power windows. These can be very frustrating & potentially expensive to repair
    All in all a very solid car