Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Polo

My manual 85 tsi Launch Edition with driver assist order has been confirmed for delivery mid next month apparently.

Had to swap off Lime Grey to Elecrtic orange to actually get a car though. Apparently manuals may as well not exist in the quantities they're shipping in.

100% agree on the DSG argument. Now they're sorted there's really no technical disadvantage to them even allowing for slightly higher weight and more complexity if you value the performance.

Manual is still fun and there's tons of value in that. But they're no longer superior methods of changing gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    If they've got "lag off the line" then they need to learn how to drive with a DSG. Too many think it's like an auto with a torque converter, when it's plainly not.

We ran a couple of BMW 335i's in the 6 Hour Production Car Race at Bathurst last Easter, one manual and one DCT. With the same power the DCT was 0.75 seconds faster up the hill because there was no boost drop / acceleration pause on the gear changes that the manual suffers from. Just hold the accelerator flat from Hell Corner to Griffins, no lift required.

Cheers
    Gary
    This should be a sticky, the myth still persists

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    If they've got "lag off the line" then they need to learn how to drive with a DSG. Too many think it's like an auto with a torque converter, when it's plainly not.

We ran a couple of BMW 335i's in the 6 Hour Production Car Race at Bathurst last Easter, one manual and one DCT. With the same power the DCT was 0.75 seconds faster up the hill because there was no boost drop / acceleration pause on the gear changes that the manual suffers from. Just hold the accelerator flat from Hell Corner to Griffins, no lift required.

Cheers
    Gary
    Completely misses the point .....

Its not about how fast the car is or technically advanced, it's about how a driver interacts with it.

No question a DSG is much faster around a race track and in a straight line when using launch control.

However .... for the 0.05% of its life that my car spends on a race track, I'd happy trade that extra speed to be able to enjoy the 99.95% of its life it spend on public roads where a DSG does nothing special for me and I want to use a manual. Doing it in a manual creates involvement, interaction and enjoyment (for me, but each to their own).

As a bonus I don't have to deal with DSG reliability issues (and the family owned a DSG where this was a real issue), DSG 's inherent lag (and saying you have to learn how to drive it is rubbish, it should not be like that), DSG's jerkiness and snatching at low speed and an irritating (and dangerous) stop-start function (which works brilliantly in a manual)

VWA should make at the very least a manual a no-cost option on every car where it can be sourced in a manual from the factory. BMW and Mercedes does this, why the poor product choices from VW? Even if only 5% of customers do this, it's still extra sales compared to losing business to a rival.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 19-03-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Our DSG car gets driven mostly outside the metro area on quick twisty, fast roads and the DSG is just awesome in those conditions, way faster an manual car can be and the main driver used to drive manual race cars and karts for many years. Go into a corner, bury the nose under brakes and just start pulling gears back on the paddle, as I said just an awesome way to drive for him and me.

2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI pricing and specs

this thing fully optioned and on the road will be 40/41k

Considering a 2016 A4 or this...tough call
    Last edited by Chuck; 19-03-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Users Country Flag
    If 0-100 in 6.0 with semi-slicks below is legit, oh baby! A bit of sticky rubber and some wider wheels here I come. Will cop the fully optioned price, it's still 10-11k better than a tricked out Golf GTI (and I'm hoping my miracle manual will shave a bit extra off the price too).

YouTube
    Last edited by devoutdubber; 19-03-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    Mk7.5 Golf R Grid Manual, 273Kw & 500Nm atw on 🌽
    Galano Stage 2 E85 flex tune, IE IC, IE DP, NPC SMF Clutch, HPFP, LPFP, injectors, Forge inlet pipe, BMS turbo inlet, Superpro FSB/RSB, 034 dogbone mount inserts, T3 4000 slotted rotors, ATE ceramic pads

Users Country Flag
    drive.com.au
    GTI pricing and options list

2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI pricing and details
    Now: 2018 Mk 7.5 Golf R Grid Ed | Man | White Silver Metallic
    Past: 1994 Subaru Liberty RS | Man | White
    ........2000 Nissan 200SX S15 Spec S | Man | Red
    ........2011 Mk VI Golf 118 TSI | Man | Candy White

The only thing I'm not sure on is which option do you have to take to get the digital dash? The price itself doesn't seem too bad. With the link above the article talks of a 7 speed DSG. While I love 7 gears (and was hoping we'd see the VW 10 speed before dieselgate) am pretty sure the Polo GTI will have the 6 speed DSG.

Users Country Flag
    The limited dealer specs I've got have it as a 6 speed DSG
    Mk7.5 Golf R Grid Manual, 273Kw & 500Nm atw on 🌽
    Galano Stage 2 E85 flex tune, IE IC, IE DP, NPC SMF Clutch, HPFP, LPFP, injectors, Forge inlet pipe, BMS turbo inlet, Superpro FSB/RSB, 034 dogbone mount inserts, T3 4000 slotted rotors, ATE ceramic pads

Users Country Flag

The article is wrong. The polo GTI has a 6 speed DSG with a wet clutch.

The digital/electronic dash comes with the sound and vision option at $1900.

Of the three options available at launch the sound and vision pack buys the most bangs for your buck. The DAP at $1400 is poor value.

I'm hoping for drive away pricing...or at the least just $1000 extra. Also hoping the factory warranty extension will be available for $1000.
    Now: 2018 Mk 7.5 Golf R Grid Ed | Man | White Silver Metallic
    Past: 1994 Subaru Liberty RS | Man | White
    ........2000 Nissan 200SX S15 Spec S | Man | Red
    ........2011 Mk VI Golf 118 TSI | Man | Candy White

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast