Thread: Wireless charging

Users Country Flag

Wireless charging

Hi All,

I’m aware a wireless charging option isn’t available on Australian Tiguans - has anyone found any after market solutions (I.e. a standard wireless charging pad or one purpose built for the Tiguan)?

Would be a great feature to have for my iPhone X.

Cheers
    Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone made a great point about this previously. Apple carplay requires a cable to work which essentially renders wireless charging useless if you use carplay.

However, it could be useful if you prefer to just use the VW system through Bluetooth or have two phones like I do.

I guess you could get a Samsung charging Pad and connect it up to the USB and have it sit in the open section but I would also expect your phone would fly off everytime you accelerated.

Users Country Flag
    We don't have Carplay so don't have that issue to get around, but I've looked at a range of different options including magnetic Qi chargers and from everything I've been reading the advice is that if you plan on using Nav and bluetooth streaming that you're better off with a cable since it can deliver more power. The problem being that Qi charging can't keep up with the demands of NAV + screen + bluetooth all at the same time. Maybe a good unit that can do 7.5W might be OK, but for now I've kept the good old cable (which is wired in behind the dash for me) in both my cars.

This sort of thing, although I really want something I can hard mount rather than use a vent mount (which I'm not a fan of):
    Magnetic Vent Wireless Charger and Mount | Cygnett
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 14-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

The best thing about your iPhone X in the car is CarPlay and that won't work without a plug. As Hawk said, induction charging when the phone is in use will most likely not be effective. If you're playing music and navigating I doubt you'd even keep the charge you started at.

The biggest ball-ache I have is when the CarPlay doesn't load right and call wont work properly or Spotify doesn't behave. This normally happens when I'm half way through an intersection or in the harbour tunnel etc. Invariably the solution is unplug and plug. That's a delicate PITA while driving but IT is never perfect, so whatever.

EDIT: Having said that, you could probably set up an induction pad in the glove box or console if you wanna do it anyway. There's tons on ebay that are dirt cheap for you to butcher and play with...
    Last edited by Mk R; 14-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Users Country Flag

Do US or European models have a wireless charging plate?
    What about the one in the new Polo?
    Being VW, I'd hope that it would be a shared component - just like most other switchgear etc
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line