Thread: What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?

Users Country Flag

What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?

What do you guys do with your car keys when you go to the beach?

My previous car had small boot key. It didnt open the main car but only the boot.

So, I would put all my wallet and main car key in the boot and take this small water proof key.

Since I didnt get any other key with my Tiguan, I assume they dont have a provision for this?

I found this combo key lock which is a good deterrent but if they knew which car was yours, they would be able to drive off with our Tiguan.

Ocean & Earth Key Vault Lock

Any other ideas?

Not sure if the tig has it, but there is catch on the key that enables you to remove the key blade so you can lock the car with the key. Does mean that the immobiliser is in the car

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2013 MY13.5 Passat V6 Highline Wagon. Watch this space
    GONE:2017 MY18 Skoda RS169 Wagon w/ Tech & Lux, 2007 VW MKV Golf GTi

Users Country Flag
    I do believe you can order a surf key from VW, precut from your VIN.

You lock your proper keys in the car, and take the plastic one with you, and use that to unlock it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by marcuskmt View Post
    What do you guys do with your car keys when you go to the beach?

My previous car had small boot key. It didnt open the main car but only the boot.

So, I would put all my wallet and main car key in the boot and take this small water proof key.

Since I didnt get any other key with my Tiguan, I assume they dont have a provision for this?

I found this combo key lock which is a good deterrent but if they knew which car was yours, they would be able to drive off with our Tiguan.

Ocean & Earth Key Vault Lock

Any other ideas?
    This is a genuine problem for all High line or R line owners. We do not have a physical key unlock. It's all done by proximity or RF.

The good thing is we cannot deliberstely or accidentally lock our keys in the car at all. (I have tried.) But where to put the key safely when at the beach is a problem.

The anus is an option. I expect it would be uncomfortable. If you genuinely needed to go to the loo, you stand the chance of literally flushing your keys away.What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?

Maybe one can use 3 or more small zip lock bags and place the keys in the inner-most one and then place that one in the next and seal it. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Then tie the pack around your waist.

This should work just not sure for how long.

Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    I have a hard plastic bumbag that I use for my ute keys and phone when fishing, they are designed for storing valuables while surfing/swimming. Never actually had it in the water but it has a very good o-ring seal, only problem is you won't make a fashion statement with it.
    2017 Orange Tiguan 110 TDI Comfortline + DAP .
    Traded 2009 Tiguan TDI auto Mountain Grey.

Users Country Flag
    Pop into your local BCF, they have all sorts of waterproof bags and wallets for keys etc. Alternatively there are a lot available on line.

My scuba diving friends use this style, this one is from keebunga.com Not cheap, but good for 30 metres depth.
    What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?-keebunga-waterproof-key-case-surfing-jpg

If you have a tow bar one of my boating friends uses one of these, it's called a Hitch Safe;

I have seen a few surfers using the inexpensive Witz SurfSafe, they get them from Amazon;

Cheers
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you do with your KEYS when you go to the BEACH?-keebunga_960_539_s-jpg  
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 30-11-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I just rang up the VW dealer.

No such surf key unless you get a full electronic key and strip it down.

A new key is about $490?!?!?!
    Last edited by marcuskmt; 01-12-2017 at 03:52 PM.