Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Washer Fluids

Washer Fluids

Try BarsBugs or something similar from the servo. Otherwise water is just fine.

I remember a similar discussion on the OzAudi forum not so long back. Some gullible fool thought that unless you used Audi genuine washer fluid you'd void the warranty.

Laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.
    Last edited by IsDon; 15-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I was picking my car up at the dealership today and asked the question!

The guy said that they don't have the 1L bottles anymore and only use the summer stuff. He gave me a bottle that happened to be on his desk so I can see how it goes. But this is *the* stuff now apparently.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    This works for me.
    SCA Windscreen Wash Concentrate - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto

I wash almost every journey, I absolutely must have a clean windscreen. I make up 5 litres at a time keep in garage and top up every week or 2 when checking oil.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Smile

In the UK I buy the 5 litre 'Prestone' all seasons concentrated screen wash from Costco.

I have been using it for 10 years or so and have over the past 2 years began mixing different formulations of Screen wash, distilled water and Isopropanol Alcohol dependent on the season.

Generally I use the following mix ratios which may need adjusting for you guys in warmer climates

SUMMER SCREEN WASH
    80% Dist Water
    10% Isopropanol
    10% Screen Wash

WINTER SCREEN WASH
    60% Dist Water
    20% Isopropanol
    20% Screen Wash

The results are fantastic with no blocked water jets, no blade judder, a smear free screen and no frozen washer bottle!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Dist Water
    Where do you get/make your distilled water? What does it cost you?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    I should have added before. VW (at least Waverly VW did when I was there) have a deal where if you buy a set of wiper blades they give you bottle of free washer fluid! Worth considering if you're in need of blades.

It looked like a pretty corporate sign so I'd think it's a wider promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Distilled water is readily available in the UK at cheap prices. However, I have used cooled boiling tap water mixed with the ISO and screen wash which has given equally good results.

Try the 'summer' formulation and you will not be disappointed......the ISO is the key ingredient!

Users Country Flag
    DONT use household glass cleaner in your washer bottle unless you are going through a full bottle every couple of weeks. Apparently the ammonia compounds in the cleaner will either coagulate or precipitate out if left in the bottle for longer than about a month - something to do with temperature and/or agitation I have been told. The result is a snot-like goo which will clog the filters, lines and pump. It took 3 hours of labour to dismantle my wife's BMW 1 Series so they could clean and replace the filters. Look up YouTube snot in windscreen washers.

Clean water is OK by itself if you're cleaning dust or dirt from your 'screen, but on any highway or city streets the spray will be filthy with oil based products and needs something to cut through the grime. I use Einszett 1Z Kristallklar: A$13.99 for 250ml which is diluted 1:100,( so it's cheap) from CarCareProducts.com.au.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Get it from Coles. It's like $2/2L. In the Laundry aisle. Good for cooling systems too.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Distilled water is readily available in the UK at cheap prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Get it from Coles. It's like $2/2L. In the Laundry aisle.
    The point I was going to make is that even at $10 for the stuff I have been using with tap water it doesn't get much cheaper if you have to pay for distilled water in order to mix up your own concoction.

Distilled water makes more sense in irons that are making steam since you want less residue to clog up the internals when boiling off the water into steam but in washer bottles you're just pumping liquid out of, plain old tap water should be just fine!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast