Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I seem to remember people getting a little frustrated by certain cars that had decent performance in a straight line but handled/were driven like on egg shells around the corners. They would blast down the straight and not allow anybody past and then trundle around the rest of the track in the "no overtaking" areas with a line of cars trailing behind them.
    I know, and always agreed with that, however this has changed a bit now with the new Mustang having totally new suspension .... Motor Magazine tested a stock Golf GTI and stock Mustang GT in 2016 around Winton racetrack ..... GTI 1min41.5s and GT 1min37.4s ...

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    This is one of those rare petrol Amaroks. Is Guy still able to help you with stage 2 software?
    Yes with OEM+ he can apparently. The numbers they are getting on the VWs are certainly impressive and comparative with the APR tunes. I'd talk to him above all else when tuning the new Tig I think.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    New engine in the Gen 2 Tiguans (the same as the MK7 GTI as discussed already) compared to the Gen 1, so gen 1 tuning wont work on the gen 2.

Since there is apparently no difference between the 132 and the 162, I'd expect that they will tune to the same point (~230kw) so as tigger said, the 132 will be best bang for your buck performance wise, although it misses out on some luxury goodies ....
    Do we know there are no differences in the engine? Is it possible they are running a different turbo in the 132TSI to the 162TSI? From the spec sheet I see the power band for the 132TSI is between 3940-6000RPM while the 162TSI is 4500-6200RPM. Also I found an engine bay shot of a 132TSI and compared it to my 162TSI and noticed as well as the engine cover being different (not that this means anything) there is also a difference with the intake as well:

132TSI Engine:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-132tsi-engine-jpg

162TSI Engine:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-162tsi-engine-jpg

132TSI Intake:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-132tsi-intake-jpg

162TSI Intake:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-162tsi-intake-jpg

I tried to have a look but can't see the turbo to get any part number. The best I can find is the part number for the Catalytic Converter off the back of the turbo which is 5Q0131783 the same as the MK7 GTI:

Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-catalytic-converter-jpg

Maybe someone with a 132TSI can compare this with theirs?
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_GolfR View Post
    Do we know there are no differences in the engine? Is it possible they are running a different turbo in the 132TSI to the 162TSI? From the spec sheet I see the power band for the 132TSI is between 3940-6000RPM while the 162TSI is 4500-6200RPM. Also I found an engine bay shot of a 132TSI and compared it to my 162TSI and noticed as well as the engine cover being different (not that this means anything) there is also a difference with the intake as well:

132TSI Engine:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-132tsi-engine-jpg

162TSI Engine:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-162tsi-engine-jpg

132TSI Intake:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-132tsi-intake-jpg

162TSI Intake:
    Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-vw-tiguan-162tsi-intake-jpg

I tried to have a look but can't see the turbo to get any part number. The best I can find is the part number for the Catalytic Converter off the back of the turbo which is 5Q0131783 the same as the MK7 GTI:

Tuning Discussion - 132TSI / 162TSI-catalytic-converter-jpg

Maybe someone with a 132TSI can compare this with theirs?
    I had wondered this myself. Thanks for the photo comparisons. The turbo is what I have questioned as well - while the actual engine may be the same, I'm sure there are areas where they are able to cut costs on the 132TSI, rather than just simply de-tuning it with software.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    I had wondered this myself. Thanks for the photo comparisons. The turbo is what I have questioned as well - while the actual engine may be the same, I'm sure there are areas where they are able to cut costs on the 132TSI, rather than just simply de-tuning it with software.
    Having 2 differerent turbos for the same engine is quite a bit more expensive (manufacture, stocking, warranty etc) than running the same with different ECU tunes (which is in reality a no-cost scenario). In all other engines of the VW range where different states of tune are offered, the engines are mechanically identical. I see no reason (economically) for this to change.

Could be wrong. Can we confirm that that is in fact a 132TSI engine shot? It looks suspiciously like the 110TSI I saw and its off the net (which is often wrong ). Perhaps somebody with a 132 can post some photos up?
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Having 2 differerent turbos for the same engine is quite a bit more expensive (manufacture, stocking, warranty etc) than running the same with different ECU tunes (which is in reality a no-cost scenario). In all other engines of the VW range where different states of tune are offered, the engines are mechanically identical. I see no reason (economically) for this to change.

Could be wrong. Can we confirm that that is in fact a 132TSI engine shot? It looks suspiciously like the 110TSI I saw and its off the net (which is often wrong ). Perhaps somebody with a 132 can post some photos up?
    I am 99.9% sure this is a 132TSI, photo was taken from a local NZ review: 2016 VW Tiguan – Car Review – Urban off-roader? | Drive Life
    I also did a lookup on the rego number and it was showing as a 132kw 2.0L Engine.

Since I am assuming VW will source their turbos from a 3rd party manufacturer and would only order quantities when needed I don't think it would be too unreasonable to think they might source a lower spec and cheaper turbo for the 132TSI but I could be wrong. Until we can find out definate part numbers we wont know.
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Watch out! Racechip pro 2 is so good that it is overwhelming the clutch. You would think that being 4WD and a little bit tough it could handle a bit of steroid hit!

Users Country Flag
    as mentioned earlier in this thread, the 132 and 162 engines have different compression ratios. so they aren't just a different tune to one another. i have only looked at the compression ratios on redbook, and haven't check elsewhere yet.

Users Country Flag
    The easiest way is for somebody with ERWIN access to have a look at the part numbers. He/she will need 2 x VINs (1 each ofr a 162 and a 132) and that will show the exact configuration.

Redbook is not a reliable source for details on actual technical information. What they have there is often incorrect.

Anybody here with ERWIN access (or willing to pay for it)?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Users Country Flag
    just checked vw's specifications pdf. it is showing the same differing compression ratios (11.65 & 9.6)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    just checked vw's specifications pdf. it is showing the same differing compression ratios (11.65 & 9.6)

I can't remember who it was, but someone on this very sight said they were the exact same engine. Lucky I bought the 162TSI anyway.. different compression ratios certainly imply they are indeed different engines.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast