Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Users Country Flag

I have recently taken delivery of my MY18 140TDI RLine with a factory fitted tow bar. Unfortunately Pin 2 of the 7 Pin connector is not connected or not coded through the ECU.

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to use Pin 2 (Reversing lights) via the ECU or has it simply not been wired from the ECU to the connector correctly.

Users Country Flag
    Factory fitted!
    Easy to hide but yet there if needed

For anyone who has done their own install or with knowledge of the process on the Australian market Mk2/MQB Tiguan.

- Which side of the cargo area does the control module live?
    - Is the trailer preparation wiring (from control box to CANbus) already in place from factory?
    - Any additional plugs or splicing needed for communication with the CANbus after module plug in and checking '69' in the gateway installation list?
    - What revision control module are people using? I have a new revision F module and 13 pin plug combination in the garage that I could use if it's compatible with the new Tiguan.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

For those wondering about the in-built gooseneck towbar:

The review notes the Kodiaq has one but maximum down weight on the towball is 80kg.

2018 Skoda Kodiaq 140TDI review | CarAdvice
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Still had no luck with Trailer Assist. Anyone have it working in their cars?
    Current:

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Still had no luck with Trailer Assist. Anyone have it working in their cars?
    Hi veew
    Still no luck for me either - continually get an error that the camera is obscured or the angle of draw-bar is too great - how about you??

Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Same

YouTube
    Last edited by veew; 21-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Current:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    For anyone who has done their own install or with knowledge of the process on the Australian market Mk2/MQB Tiguan.

- Which side of the cargo area does the control module live?
    - Is the trailer preparation wiring (from control box to CANbus) already in place from factory?
    - Any additional plugs or splicing needed for communication with the CANbus after module plug in and checking '69' in the gateway installation list?
    - What revision control module are people using? I have a new revision F module and 13 pin plug combination in the garage that I could use if it's compatible with the new Tiguan.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Been doing some more research...

Looks like revision G of the trailer module is the one that works with the 5NA / AD1 Tiguan.

Australian delivered cars should have the trailer preparation wiring already installed (front loom to CANbus) so that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm probably going to grab all the bits ex-Germany and self install. Local pricing is ludicrous.

A massive word of warning for those that are considering purchasing Westfalia from Australia Tow Bars - the reliability of their installers out of Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne should be heavily questioned.

I live in Canberra and purchased a Westfalia for my Mk2 Tiguan R-Line with install in May of last year and have tried consistently to have it installed using their installers in Canberra. 3 Failed attempts I finally had the tow-bar installed in December but the installer didn't do the wiring as it was 'too hard'. Their resolution was for me to drive to Sydney or 'find someone myself' with no guarantee that I'd be refunded the full amount.

Long story short. I'd be very, very cautious about purchasing from them.

Users Country Flag

Firstly i dont use my Tiguan for Towing as i have a diesel Navara ,But for safety i bought a CURT towbar from the USA its rated at 3.500lbs
    Its main purpose is to protect me from rear ends and car parks ,
    All Tiguans come with a fully installed beam across the rear of the vehicle, The one i bought come with two chain connections and can be installed by any one with any common sense ,Its only a matter of removing the cut out ,slip the attachment into the cut out area and install the high tensile bolts into the preinstalled beam which has the already holes and just tighten
    This towbar is legal all through the USA and Canada and all through Europe but not here ?
    And i installed my own trailer wiring only had a friend ok the install on his laptop
    Can tow upto 6,000 lbs

Curt New Hitch Rear VW Volkswagen Tiguan 2009-2012,2014-2017 | eBay
    Last edited by ian; 01-03-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast