Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Tow Bar for the Tiguan

Another option is to import a Westfalia yourself from PF Jones in the U.K. Then install it yourself. I did this with my Audi A6 Allroad. Audi wanted $4K, I imported a vastly superior bar than the Audi Australia option for $1000 which included the freight.

Only issues to consider. Programming will be an issue. It can be done with VCDS (as I did) but with a new model, like the Tiguan there will be a lot of work to be done to determine what the coding will be.

An imported bar won’t be Australian standards compliant. The difference is the Australian standards approved Westfalia have two safety chain connectors, where the rest of the world has one. Of course Australian bureaucrats know more about engineering tow bars than the rest of the planet.
    Last edited by IsDon; 31-10-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Australian ADR’s are a left over from restricted imports and trade tariffs. We have an ADR for describing a sun visor and vanity mirror, but none for specifying fuel efficiency. We have ones which define the step down ratio of cogs and cables inside mechanical speedometers but none for digital or CANBUS systems.
    The bulk of ADR is now aligned to UN standards, and should be absorbed fully and residual rules like ADR 47 should be phased out ASAP. Give the burocrats something proper to do ��
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Just found out that our Tiguan will finally be available next week. I ordered it with the OEM tow bar. Don't mind the price as long as it's half decent tow bar and the extra features are working. However, now I've been told they'll need to cut the bumper.....not impressed with that.

Does anyone have a photo handy that shows the OEM bar installed on a 162 Highline (with the R pack in case that makes any difference). I'd really like to know what exactly this will look like before cutting into anything.

TIA

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
    Just found out that our Tiguan will finally be available next week. I ordered it with the OEM tow bar. Don't mind the price as long as it's half decent tow bar and the extra features are working. However, now I've been told they'll need to cut the bumper.....not impressed with that.

Does anyone have a photo handy that shows the OEM bar installed on a 162 Highline (with the R pack in case that makes any difference). I'd really like to know what exactly this will look like before cutting into anything.

TIA
    I think OEM is a loose term here in Oz. It is not the nifty swivel tow bar with an electric release button in the boot that is supplied by VW in Europe, compatible with the park pilot trailer reversing app.
    More than likely built by a local manufacturer sourced by VWA to comply with local design rules... with as little research effort as possible... probably just the same one they fit to a Golf or Passat, with a small ‘hack’ to fit the Tig... And branded VW with associated 3000% markup. Their decision on which ‘OEM’ to offer will be based on function and economics, not form.
    I recall seeing pics of 3rd party tow bars in this thread that do not cut the bumper. And probably a lot cheaper. It’s worth scrolling through the history here.

The Westfalia ones have the trailer assist function incorporated. They are the real OEM bars. And they’re cheaper than the bodgy VW ones.

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    The Westfalia ones have the trailer assist function incorporated. They are the real OEM bars. And they’re cheaper than the bodgy VW ones.
    Thanks
    Where can these be bought (or installed) in Australia?

You were once able to get them from the importer in Melbourne. I think they’re available at most towbar retailers now. Just make sure you get the one with trailer assist function. It has a rotating bezel on the ball that turns with the trailer.

Have a look at the Westfalia website for how it works.

You were once able to get them from the importer in Melbourne. I think they’re available at most towbar retailers now. Just make sure you get the one with trailer assist function. It has a rotating bezel on the ball that turns with the trailer.

Have a look at the Westfalia website for how it works.
    Found it at australia tow bars.

Thanks!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    +1

No panels need to be cut for the Westfalia.

They took a part off called the "Rio" and installed it.

I kept the Rio but have no idea why.

Just an update for those who have the OEM towbar. I've twiddled with OBD11 and cannot access the rear view camera settings so haven't been able to get Trailer Assist Activated.

Anyone with trailer assist and OBD11 activated, is your trailer settings in VCDS/OBD11 set to Australia or ROW (rest of world)?
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast