Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiguan broke down today

Users Country Flag

At first I was a bit uncertain but after driving my girlfriend's Passat and now my Tiguan I'm so use to it. Biggest fear is that it doesn't start back up and you're at a busy intersection for example. I figure these aren't the first cars to have this feature so it should be almost perfected by now. Unless you're really unlucky and have a bad apple.

Anyway... back on topic. Might do some experimenting with seltbelt off etc. Think that just chimes at you though. I do press the button and leave it held down for at least a second or two. Not sure if this really helps. Just like ignition when you turn you dont just turn. You turn key and hold until car starts up.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    As soon as i start mine i turn the Bloody thing OFF
    Lol.. same but ours is permanently disabled Tiguan broke down today

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    And I have never seen the issue with it. It amuses me the people who have never driven a car with it working but still hate it. How can you hate something you have never used or experienced?
    + 1
    My wife hated it before she tried it because of what clueless people had told her. After a couple of weeks she didn't even notice it stop and start, it just happens.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    + 1
    My wife hated it before she tried it because of what clueless people had told her. After a couple of weeks she didn't even notice it stop and start, it just happens.

Cheers
    Gary
    Same here. My wife finds it quite natural. Start/stop works seamlessly. There's only one tricky situation where it stops when parking and not close enough to the wall. So need to be careful starting without accelerating too much but you get used to it. Another idea is to turn off start/stop during parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    And I have never seen the issue with it. It amuses me the people who have never driven a car with it working but still hate it. How can you hate something you have never used or experienced?
    Third car with it and I hate it with a passion. Just got to find a minute with VCDS and then it will be gone for good. If only iy could remember the OFF setting like a BMW does.

Edit: I should add, newer S3 and RS3 (MY16 and later) seem to automatically disable this when the DSG is in manual mode so no need to change anything for me.
    Last edited by ewok666; 22-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Got the car back today and there was no error codes reported or real explanation of the cause.

The wife does take her seatbelt off to drive into the garage (no I don't know why) but was advised that this shouldn't cause a problem.

In any case I think I am going to disable the stop / start. Which tool is better to make a few simple changes, VCDS or OBDeleven ?

Quote Originally Posted by jpvw01 View Post
    Got the car back today and there was no error codes reported or real explanation of the cause.

The wife does take her seatbelt off to drive into the garage (no I don't know why) but was advised that this shouldn't cause a problem.

In any case I think I am going to disable the stop / start. Which tool is better to make a few simple changes, VCDS or OBDeleven ?
    I used obdeleven.

From memory - 19 Central electrics: start stop voltage limit: change from default 7.6V to 12V.
    Done Tiguan broke down today

2016 RS3. 2015 A4

Users Country Flag

If you have the "Auto Hold" turned on (the button near the gear shift) then it won't start the engine until you press the accelerator. Without Auto Hold depressed, the engine will start as soon as you remove your foot from the brake.

Makes sense when you think about it. But if she had Auto Hold switched on, stopped the car to open the garage, then expected the engine to start again when she removed her foot from the brake pedal, she might have thought it was faulting because it didn't restart.

It's often not a natural reaction, when driving an auto, to want to press the accelerator just to put the car in the garage; we expect to just coast in after letting go of the brake. But with Auto Hold on, you need to. Could this have been the problem?

Anyway, I like auto stop/start. At first it felt unusual, but now I don't notice the engine stopping, and I enjoy the peace when it does!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12