Thread: Tiguan Adventure or Sportline?

Users Country Flag

Tiguan Adventure or Sportline?

Hi all,

Currently looking at upgrading our 2011 Tiguan MY11 103 TDI AWD DSG with leather pack and auto park (seems so standard now). We also own a MY16 92TSI Comfort-line Golf.

I live in rural north Queensland, it rains a lot up here. Every week I have to travel to Cairns for my wife to receive a day treatment at hospital. It's a 2hr drive each way and we sit at the hospital for about 4 hours. There is a lot of overtaking required on the way (grey nomads, trucks and farm machinery) and poor sealed surfaces on the way add to the fun.

Currently using the Golf for this trip as it's more nimble but the wife much prefers the Tiguan on the daily potter, if she goes out. The inclusions that are on the Comfort-line Golf are all I need. Auto wipers and headlights; the little extras of better quality cloth is a bonus too. Navigation I only use for speed zone reminders but its not important, car play is fine. I'm not a fan of all the drivers aids, but will take them if they are thrown in. Fuel economy is not a concern as for majority of the week the car sits as I walk to work.

I don't like the look of the standard Tiguan 132 TSI Comfortline at all. So we were looking at the 162 R-pack. I can get a MY18 in my preferred colour in December if I order soon. My attraction to this model is the performance and looks, not the toys. But now I've heard about the 162 Sportline and recently learnt about the Adventure model. Money saved is a good thing.

The Adventure pack seems a fantastic deal but my local dealer doesn't have one and could tell me nothing about it, learnt a lot on the forum today.

Pricing difference between the two is seems minimal (could be wrong). Please advise!

Can anyone shed more light in the Sport-line as it sounds ideal to me. (my next car was to be a Golf GTI but the treatment has put this on hold). Does anyone know what are standard inclusions and what options packs are available, also is the shape closer to the High-line or Comfort-line.

Thanks in Advance.

p.s. and is the same gearbox as the mk7 Golf as mines just started occasionally shrieking (60k) despite full VW service.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve just ordered an 18 build sportline. It’s pretty well specced against the normal highline for 3k less before on roads. No fleather or 9.2” buttonless sat nav but it has better driver aids (no need for driver assistance package) and bigger wheels and adaptive chassis control. The R Line will be 10k more. I have owned GTIs with the 162 engine and it’s a good bit stronger than the 132. The dsg is a seven speed wet clutch so not as many concerns as with your golf’s dry clutch seven speed dsg.

I reckon the shortage of active info displays worldwide have resulted in this sleeper model which is the best value in the range by some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brycem View Post
    t it has better driver aids (no need for driver assistance package)

What do you mean here ?

I have 132 Adventure and IMO is more than enough for daily drive. I wish I had gone for 162TSI as leather would have been better option for me but i couldn't wait for 9 months as I ordered mine with DAP and sportsline wasnt around back then.

162TSI is thirsty as is but depends on what do you want to do with it..

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnynagi View Post
    ...162TSI is thirsty as is but depends on what do you want to do with it..
    Only if you apply more throttle. It takes x fuel to move y weight z distance at v speed. Change v, y, or z and x changes. Motor displacement does not come into it. Basic physics.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    Only if you apply more throttle. It takes x fuel to move y weight z distance at v speed. Change v, y, or z and x changes. Motor displacement does not come into it. Basic physics.
    A debating point to keep us occupied for days ................... my 20 cents.
    If the 162 has a "bigger" turbo then it more than likely has more lag, which means a longer throttle application prior to acceleration ie; more fuel used. If the 162 has a "bigger" turbo to flow more air then, at the same air fuel ratio, it must use more fuel. In a comparison between a 132 and a 162 it would take very judicious application of the throttle such that the 162 only accelerated as fast as a 132. In simple terms, if it has more grunt then it's difficult not to use it, even if we aren't deliberately trying to use it.

Of course the counter is the 162 will get to the same speed, at the same rate of acceleration as the 132, using less throttle. Which may or may not result in less fuel used.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Quote Originally Posted by sunnynagi View Post
    What do you mean here ?

I have 132 Adventure and IMO is more than enough for daily drive. I wish I had gone for 162TSI as leather would have been better option for me but i couldn't wait for 9 months as I ordered mine with DAP and sportsline wasnt around back then.

162TSI is thirsty as is but depends on what do you want to do with it..
    Power costs money so no argument from me. I do a lot of open road driving and longish trips in my 162 and I went down the coast today and it gave the usual 7.3 down and 7.5 back on ACC and not hanging around (why are you racing dear?). If I was booting it around town or towing I would think it would be easily over 10. I hardly drive in the metro area at all so those numbers are pure guess work on my part.

Users Country Flag
    The key driver safety aids which are bundled in the DAP pack for highline namely adaptive cruise and lane assist, side assist, traffic jam assist and emergency assist are standard on the sportline. No active info display, self parking or area assist but I’m nonplussed about those.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Power costs money so no argument from me. I do a lot of open road driving and longish trips in my 162 and I went down the coast today and it gave the usual 7.3 down and 7.5 back on ACC and not hanging around (why are you racing dear?). If I was booting it around town or towing I would think it would be easily over 10. I hardly drive in the metro area at all so those numbers are pure guess work on my part.
    I have a 140tdi and do metro
    And after 2500kms
    Im sitting on 11.3l/100km

Drive it like u stole it

I doubt if I could have made my 125 TDI Skoda Superb get into 11's no matter how hard I drove it. In fact that used to tow a 800kg trailer that was a square covered box and it would not break into 10's towing at 120 KPH and sometimes more. I loved that diesel, it went bloody hard and still did over a 1000 kms to a tank on a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    Except the 132TSI uses a different compression ratio, a different Turbo and a slightly different combustion cycle based on the miller cycle, focused on fuel efficiency. The top 2 would also dictate that it does have a different calculated displacement at the same engine speed and throttle position.