Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So why the Tiguan ?

There are a thousand different opinions on running a car in and it is entirely up to you how that is done. I bought my Tiguan and instantly flogged it very hard to the redline and it does not use oil so far. As for buying it I needed a car with higher seats as getting in and out of the Skoda was getting harder and harder for both me and the missus but I would have preferred to buy a GTI Performance but for the seat height. The Tiguan has a few more toys which is nice and I have given thought to selling the Tiguan I have and buying a new one for even more toys.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTig View Post
    Almost @Chocolate_Bear close now, on a side note we're currently living on the bay in Melbourne so depending on what time of the day the ship arrives, will be able to see it steaming up Port Phillip .

Tiggy watching taken to far
    Current eta is 03:00 on 15/7. You will probably need a very big torch to see the ship 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Current eta is 03:00 on 15/7. You will probably need a very big torch to see the ship 
    Lol, yeah saw that as well.

Getting back to the topic. Was thinking more on why a Tig, another reason for me was the safety tech, have a learner in the house and she'll be using my car to learn in, the extra safety features helps keep my mind at ease when she's driving. Problem is going to be when she gets her first car and maybe not having the same sort of systems.. could be an expensive first car for her....
    MY17 Tiguan 162 Highline | DAP | Rline | Pano Sunroof | Pure White
    Stage 2.5 - APR DP, APR Turbo inlet, Muffler delete, IS38 Turbo, APR tune

MY18 Tiguan 162 Highline AllSpace | Sound & Vision | Sunroof | Blue Silk

Users Country Flag
    Safety was a factor for us too. Not tech but the basics of airbags for all and 5 star safety rating.

Other factors on a high level - looks, drive, reviews, price/value for what you get, space inside for front and back passengers, boot space, ac vents at the back, external size not too large, large windows/good visibility, android/apple carplay, driver seat memory, and leather seating options.

The host of other tech is more the cool factor and icing on the cake for me.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bear View Post
    Nooooooo @Gladbach. It has arrived in Fremantle and should make its way to Sydney in a week.. lucky I am overseas on holiday so not so painful. Should have it by end of month. Might pop over to you soonSo why the Tiguan ?

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches
    Sure mate, PM me once you've got it.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    Sure mate, PM me once you've got it.
    OK, long post, but here goes....

For me, I started looking for a potential new car quite some time ago knowing that I'd be looking to sell my Jetta (tend to hold on to cars for 5-6 years). I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be honest, and I was thinking of ditching VW to try a different manufacturer, not because I don't like VW, just thought I'd try something different.

My wife was keen for an SUV after eying off the CX-5 a few years ago. It would make accessing some of the camping sites we go to easier (sometimes the tracks get a bit muddy, so AWD would help) and considering that we'd hold on the new car for 5-6 years, it made sense as we'd likely have a small family somewhere in that period. I wasn't initially convinced, but I picked up a football injury that made getting in and out of the car a bit hard. During that time I happened to drive an ix35 and it made it much easier to get in and out, so it made me really consider buying a new SUV sooner rather than later. I had also ready about various implementations of adaptive cruise/traffic jam assist in some vehicles and was keen to try it as the constant switching between the accelerator and brake pedals wasn't doing much good for my injury (which I've now fully recovered from, so it's less important).

So we started with the CX-5, I drove the top of the line with the most powerful turbo diesel engine. The sales guy was telling me how much I'd be blown away with the power and that I'd love taking off from the lights and feeling the pull. Suffice to say, the power was incredibly underwhelming and the driving experience wasn't great - lots of road noise and despite reviewers saying that it's fun to drive, I found it to be pretty boring. I couldn't fathom spending over $50k on something that I struggled to get excited about. My wife wasn't that impressed either.

Next up was the Tucson. I much preferred the interior of it over the CX-5 and quite liked the look of it. I drove two of the top spec models, but again I was disappointed with the performance and handling. I started to doubt whether an SUV would be the right choice.

A few months later I noticed a Tiguan R-Line (previous gen) on the road. I was never much of a fan of the looks of the older Tig, and it seemed too small for us, but I thought I'd go and give one a drive anyway. It was hugely more satisfying than the Tucson and CX-5 - I really enjoyed the drive but I knew it wasn't the car for us. It seemed really out-dated, I didn’t like the interior, and the boot was way too small (the Jetta has a massive boot, so it seemed incredibly small to us). I started googling when the next gen Tiguan was to be released and was happy to see that it was about 8 months away or something, and the first image I saw was of an R-Line in white, which looked absolutely stunning. I got pretty excited, but knew it meant I'd have to wait.

I never really liked the styling of the Forester, but I thought I'd give the XT a go. I was definitely impressed with the power but I absolutely hated the CVT. I couldn't get past it. The car also seemed really old fashioned (I think the model I drove was a run out prior to the update, so the interior felt old and the entertainment system was antiquated). Having driven the XT and the Tiguan though, I knew I wanted something with a bit of go and was reassured that perhaps an SUV wouldn't be too bad.

Time passed and the pricing was released for the new Tiguan. I was a bit surprised at the cost of a fully loaded one, it was close to $10k more than I had expected. I went and checked out the new Tiguan at a preview event at the dealer (you could look at them but not drive them). I loved the interior and all of the gadgets and I was really keen on the car.

I started thinking about the cost though, and what else I could get for the money. I had considered a Q3, but it was so small and desperately in need to an upgrade that I didn't bother driving it. I liked the look of the X1, so I took one for a drive. I wasn't that impressed, the ride was underwhelming, lots of road noise and it just didn't feel that premium. I preferred the interior of the Tiguan and the tech of the was so much better. Options on the X1 quickly made it pricey, and the adaptive cruise control didn't brake the car to a complete stop like the Tiguan did (although I had only read about it at that stage).

A few weeks later, when they first allowed test drives, I took a 132TSI for a drive. I was impressed with the drive, it was really smooth and the cabin was a lovely place to be. It also felt a lot punchier than the Tucson and CX-5. I still remember how blown away we both were with the sunroof and all of the tech.

In between, I looked at the Passat all-track. I step into it but quickly realised that I preferred the higher driving position (and the step-across instead of step-down when getting in). I didn't take it for a drive.

I was eagerly anticipating the Tiguan R-Line. It looked amazing in photos and I could only hope that the performance and driving experience would be good. After not being able to negotiate at all on the price with two dealers, I spoke to a broker who could get $4k off it. He also said that I can add a clause for it to be "subject to test drive", so I realised that I could order one, and if I didn't like it I could pull out without penalty. So I bit the bullet and ordered one, knowing I'd be waiting for months, but at least I was one of the first to order. Between then, and receiving the car, I constantly considered other vehicles, but every time I found reasons to be assured that the Tiguan was the right move.

I definitely made the right choice. My wife also really loves it, which is important as it will eventually become her car when we do start a family.

I'm about to write a long term review (I've done about 4,000 kms now). I'll post that soon!

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Users Country Flag
    I had a whole run of new European cars before I immigrated to Perth, all as company cars and all on a 3 year replacement cycle. I went through SAAB, VW, BMW and Volvo and there is just something solid and re-assuring about the materials and build quality. In fact I had never owned a non Euro car (if you include 80's and 90's Fords into that), before I came to Perth. Then when I got here I realised I would not be owning European any time soon, due to the cost. So I first off bought a new Hilux SR5 for the dirt bikes, then a new Subaru Outback when the dirt bike phase ended and enjoyed having the extra space for the push bikes and dogs. Fast forward to 2013 and the mortgage gets paid off and now European seems more achievable and I took the plunge on a new run out Discovery TDV6 (80 large to you Sir, but free on-roads and free servicing for 3 years). The materials and build quality in the Disco are just sooo much nicer than the two Jap cars and that big twin turbo V6 diesel has some grunt. After 3-1/2 years with the Disco, the new car buying cycle started gnawing away in my head again and I started to think the Disco was wasted on me. I don't 4wd, I don't tow anything, its a bloody big commuter, albeit a really rather nice one and it has served me very well and hasn't been expensive to run (never paid a cent in service costs and it gets a tank of diesel a fortnight - @800km per tank).

So what to buy now? I had a Volvo D40 in the UK last year as a renter and it made realise how behind the times the Disco was on tech and ICE etc and I started to develop a short list. Disco Sport/ New model Disco when it arrives/Volvo XC 60/Volvo XC90/Passat 206TSI wagon/Skoda Superb 206 TSI wagon. Quickly put the Volvos to bed, as they were expensive to get the 90 and the 60 is due for replacement. The new disco is going to be dear when it arrives, to get a similar spec to what I have now, so that went as well. I then set out to drive the others. Disco sport lasted about two minutes, as the transmission tunnel was so intrusive on my left knee, so that went as well. Next was the Passat, which was just around the time when pics and the first Highlines started to arrive. The demo 206 TSI wagon was a stunning looking car, but I was underwhelmed by the performance and could not get the side bolsters of the seats to be comfortable with my "fuller figure" and it was put aside as well. But being in the VW dealer, I saw the pics of the Tiggy R line on the wall and to me, it looked sort of like a mini BMW X5, which I have always liked, but could never afford. I took a sit in a Highline TDI and was taken with the materials and size. I did drive it, but compared to the grunt of my Disco, it was a bit lame. That was when I realised a smaller diesel powered car was likely out. The local dealer did not have a Tiggy 162 TSI of any description to test drive, so I parked VW and went off to Skoda to try the Superb 206 tsi wagon. They only had the 162 as a demo, but were happy for me to give that a stab and what a hoot I had in it. Was genuinely impressed with that motor, more so that the 206 in the similar Passat. But I was not keen on the overall look of the car and I thought the interior and tech were a 1/2 step behind the VW's already, so could not pull the trigger on a Skoda.

Fast forward a month, no decision made, but keen on a drive in a 162 Tiggy. The dealer called to say the demo Highline was there and was duly driven the following day. It did not the same spark as the Skoda, but it was 50kms old as opposed to 10k in the Skoda, so I am sure there would be some loosening up to be done. It was enough to say I was happy with the performance, but I had still never seen an R line. I googled it to death and watched all the videos I could find, but you always doubt the actual thing will be the same as the marketing blurb. Fast forward another month and the dealer calls to say they have their first customer 162 TSI Rline and I could go and see it. I did and in white, it looked every bit as good as the marketing stuff. Ok all the boxes ticked, if I can get one and a deal can be had to trade my disco, i'll have one. The issue I was always going have was my Disco not being so far short of the value of the new car and the salesman even commented "you have a lovely car, why are you getting rid of it?" It was a very fair point, but with the free servicing gone and the warranty expired and the 3 year replacement cycle worm gnawing away, its time to move on. Its fair to say it took a couple of hours to try and make a deal happen, but I did not budge on my trade in valuation of the Disco and my stance of "if we cannot make this work, I still drive away in a really nice car". We got there in the end, but 4 months into the wait for the new one, I have looked at other cars and wondered if I could have got something else sooner!!

Why did I buy a Tiguan 162 TSI R line with DAP?

Down sizing from a Discovery, but still enough space for the bikes or dogs. I don't need a full blown 4WD.
    In white with the R Line kit, I think its an awesome looking car.
    I thought the 162 TSI engine in the Skoda was a belter and hope its the same in the Tiguan once loosened up with a few KM's.
    I liked the interior and gadgets in the Tiguan, but will probably not use most.
    I was determined to have European again.
    162 TSI + R-Line + DAP +Pure white. Ordered March 11th 2017. I'm built email Sept 9th 2017. I'm shipped email Sept 30th 2017. VIN received from dealer Oct 5th 2017. Arrived Fremantle October 24th. Finally delivered to me - Wednesday 15th November.

Users Country Flag

I went through a swag of comparisons (BMW, Merc, Volvo, Lexus, Land-rover, Jaguar, Skoda, Passat, Golf GTI, Golf R, Mazda CX 3 & 5, Hyundai, Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Kia and Mitsubishi) none of them came close to the amount of active and passive safety, latest technology, Value for money, etc.

BMW, Jag, Land-rover, Merc, Lexus, Volvo were all coming in above $100,000 on road to get similar technology. The rest just did not have it as an option as yet.

The DAP is a must for all VWs. It gives you the ability to have active cruise control on and it still works right down to stand still. Also all the extra Safety stuff.

Subaru, Mazda, Toyota, cheaper Lexus, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mitsubishi all cut out when the speed of the car drops to 31Km. It's absolutely hopeless in traffic where I spend the majority of my time.

So, in short, Best value for money for one of the safest cars on the road.
    David
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123