Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?

Users Country Flag

Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?

I have just picked up my Tsi R-line and the exhaust note (or lack of), is dissapointing. So i am thinking of getting the centre resonator removed and replaced with a straight through pipe. Costs about $80 at my local exhaust shop.
    i've done this mod to my golf R Wolfsburg wagon and it sounds amazing. Can hear the pops and crackles.
    so im wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Tiguan yet? Im sure it will sound amazing after this mod because it's essentially a Gti engine.
    I had a look underneath the car and the centre resonator is massive, about twice the size of the golf R resonator. No wonder the exhaust is so quiet!

Users Country Flag
    I'm keen to know the results if someone goes through with this. Will be something I'd consider doing as well once the car arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY18 MKII Tiguan 162TSI R-Line | Deep Black | DAP | Sunroof

For Sale - MY11.5 MKVI 3DR Golf GTI | Pearl Black | Manual | Sunroof | Dark Tint | Dynaudio | MDI | Bluetooth | Bi-Xennons
    Mods | R Tails | P3 Gauge | LED Interior Conversion | Lakin Plates | VW Racing Springs | 19" RAYS 57Motorsport G07EX

Users Country Flag
    Same here.

Very wary of chopping in to a factory build. I suppose the original muffler could be welded back if it was horrible.

Exhaust note is a very personal choice. Some people are turned on by noise alone. [Harley owners!!??] The GTI with soundaktor disabled had a very nice, but subtle note. If I could get the 162 Tig. to sound that good I would be a very happy chap.

Users Country Flag
    After 5000km I notice the sound seemingly change for the good. I also noticed that in the Economy settings ( !!! ), with revs being kept low, the sound becomes deeper/warmer, with gentle pops in the lower gears...

Indeed quite a large centre resonator...

Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?-onderkant-tigr-jpg

VW Tiguan R-line 162kw, Tungsten Silver Metallic, Titanium Black-Crystal Gray.
    ACC, DCC, AID, HUD, DAP, ALS, LED, DSG, TSI, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shock&Awe View Post
    I have just picked up my Tsi R-line and the exhaust note (or lack of), is dissapointing. So i am thinking of getting the centre resonator removed and replaced with a straight through pipe. Costs about $80 at my local exhaust shop.
    i've done this mod to my golf R Wolfsburg wagon and it sounds amazing. Can hear the pops and crackles.
    so im wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Tiguan yet? Im sure it will sound amazing after this mod because it's essentially a Gti engine.
    I had a look underneath the car and the centre resonator is massive, about twice the size of the golf R resonator. No wonder the exhaust is so quiet!
    Very keen to hear feedback when someone does this.. is only the warranty on the exhaust null and void once done?

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bear View Post
    Very keen to hear feedback when someone does this.. is only the warranty on the exhaust null and void once done?

I will do this resonator delete after the 1000km run-in period. The lack of noise, especially in manual mode is driving me nuts. I want to hear the DSG crack on upshifts and crackle on downshifts. Without this - the car just feels so lifeless and soulless.
    Then I will do an APR stage 1 tune. This car REALLY needs to be 220kw. I have a mk5 GTi Pirelli and the tiguan feels like a boat compared with the GTi, even though both are similar in power. Tiguan feels so slow.
    Forget about comparing the Tiguan to my stage 2 Wolfsburg R wagon. Like chalk and cheese. After driving the Tiguan and hopping back into my R, I couldn't get the grin off my face. Made me appreciate how much more special the R is. The only reason I got the Tiguan is because it's for the wife to drive the 2 little ones around. Without the kids - I just cannot see why anyone would choose a SUV tiguan over a GTi or R

Removing the resonator will not void your warranty. It does not alter the performance of your car in any way. It is just there to suppress noise.
    You can always keep the resonator and have it reinstalled before you do any warranty claim on the engine - if you are worried. I will ask the exhaust shop to install pipe clamps on both ends of the resonator. That way, it's as simple as undoing the bolts to remove or reinstall the resonator. No welding or re-welding.
    Last edited by Shock&Awe; 04-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.

I will do this resonator delete after the 1000km run-in period. The lack of noise, especially in manual mode is driving me nuts. I want to hear the DSG crack on upshifts and crackle on downshifts. Without this - the car just feels so lifeless and soulless.
    Then I will do an APR stage 1 tune. This car REALLY needs to be 220kw. I have a mk5 GTi Pirelli and the tiguan feels like a boat compared with the GTi, even though both are similar in power. Tiguan feels so slow.
    Forget about comparing the Tiguan to my stage 2 Wolfsburg R wagon. Like chalk and cheese. After driving the Tiguan and hopping back into my R, I couldn't get the grin off my face. Made me appreciate how much more special the R is.

Removing the resonator will not void your warranty. It does not alter the performance of your car in any way. It is just there to suppress noise.
    You can always keep the resonator and have it reinstalled before you do any warranty claim on the engine - if you are worried. I will ask the exhaust shop to install pipe clamps on both ends of the resonator. That way, it's as simple as undoing the bolts to remove or reinstall the resonator. No welding or re-welding.
    I hear you mate! .. unfortunately for it's my wife that will be driving it more than me.. one of the key reasons for this car was how quiet it was. Oh well... keep us posted on the work you're getting done. Should be bloody awesome !!

Users Country Flag
    ........ Without the kids - I just cannot see why anyone would choose a SUV tiguan over a GTi or R

Hm, what an SUV is for? Going off road for example?

Looking forward to hearing your resonator delete experience though.

VW Tiguan R-line 162kw, Tungsten Silver Metallic, Titanium Black-Crystal Gray.
    ACC, DCC, AID, HUD, DAP, ALS, LED, DSG, TSI, LOL

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by TungstenR View Post
    Hm, what an SUV is for? Going off road for example?

Looking forward to hearing your resonator delete experience though.
    Who in their right of mind takes their SUV off-road?! My bet is that the only dirt patch that 90% of SUV's make contact with is when the owner inadvertently drive onto the verge when doing a U-turn or trying to park their car.
    Last edited by Shock&Awe; 04-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast