Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?

Keen to hear how you go with the resonator delete. There were a couple of people that did this with the gen 1 Tig but found that there was drone/reverberation at cruising RPMs so they reverted back to stock.

The solution may be a smaller straight through resonator and a sports muffler at the back. That's what I ended up doing to my first Tig.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Im also keen to reproduce those sounds, as long as its just during gear shift, all I want is the pops & cracks during gear shifts. I'm also keen to do the REVO stage 1. Have found a place in Parramatta that do it & waiting to hear back on price.
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI, Deep Black Pearl, R-Line, Sunroof, DAP | Ordered 6th Jan 17 | Delivered Nov 17

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Keen to hear how you go with the resonator delete. There were a couple of people that did this with the gen 1 Tig but found that there was drone/reverberation at cruising RPMs so they reverted back to stock.

The solution may be a smaller straight through resonator and a sports muffler at the back. That's what I ended up doing to my first Tig.
    This generation Tiguan uses the same MQB platform and same engine as the Mk7 GTi, so I am very optimistic that there won't be any drone in the cabin once the resonator is removed. Only one way to find out, though.....
    The more I am driving this Tiguan, the more I am liking it. I am always on Sport mode, and I don't think the ride is too firm. Sport mode removes the body roll and makes the Tiguan feel more 'GTi' than SUV. Definitely worth the dollars for the R-line package. This car certainly has a capable chassis and transmission that can handle more power. A stage 1 tune after the 1000km break-in period will certainly transform this SUV for sure......can't wait....

I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock&Awe View Post
    ...I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.
    True to your name, Shock&Awe . I've got em crossed!
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI, Deep Black Pearl, R-Line, Sunroof, DAP | Ordered 6th Jan 17 | Delivered Nov 17

Users Country Flag
    This generation Tiguan uses the same MQB platform and same engine as the Mk7 GTi, so I am very optimistic that there won't be any drone in the cabin once the resonator is removed. Only one way to find out, though.....
    The more I am driving this Tiguan, the more I am liking it. I am always on Sport mode, and I don't think the ride is too firm. Sport mode removes the body roll and makes the Tiguan feel more 'GTi' than SUV. Definitely worth the dollars for the R-line package. This car certainly has a capable chassis and transmission that can handle more power. A stage 1 tune after the 1000km break-in period will certainly transform this SUV for sure......can't wait....

I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.
    Love this! Can't wait to hear how it is mate
    VW first timer.
    2017 Tiguan 162 Highline :: Sunroof :: DAP :: R
    *April delivery

Be interesting to hear how this one turns out. Make sure you run it for ~2,000km so the exhaust fully soots up (and the exhaust note gets to its final state) before making a final verdict.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    And of course, a video please!

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    And of course, a video please!
    Hell yes! Gotta hear it!! Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Resonator delete done!

Now for the good news....and the bad news(depending on how you see it)

The good news is that there is absolutely no drone whatsoever. In fact, the exhaust note is only a little louder from the outside and on the inside - you can hardly even tell that it is louder. The note is very nice now, a deeper burble. I would say that the tone and loudness is the same as my stock mk5 Gti.

The bad news is that I expected the exhaust to be louder and there is absolutely no crackle and pop on downshifts and no DSG crack on upshifts. Zero. Zilch.

Overall, I am happy that i've done this mod. For $80, the car sounds more deeper and throatier without any negatives. I reckon that as I put more k's on her - the exhaust note will only get better and better. And of course, once a stage 1 tune goes in - she'll sound even more better, and perhaps there might be a little bit of crackle and pop.

I lifted the resonator and I think that it weighs around 5Kg. That's 5kg of unnecessary weight off my car. I'm still scratching my head as to why VW engineers incorporated this resonator into the car. With it removed, the exhaust sounds a lot better without being loud. I think their aim is to try and make this car as quiet as possible.

One thing I've learnt though, is that the rear mufflers are doing a very good job of muffling the exhaust sound on the new Tiguan. Either that or the downpipe is more restrictive than the downpipe of a GTi. I know that it must be the more restrictive downpipe because when I changed the downpipe of my Golf R wagon to a 3" catless downpipe - the car was crackling like a machine gun whenever I lift off the throttle. On upshifts, the DSG crack was deafening as well.
    Last edited by Shock&Awe; 06-03-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Users Country Flag

Resonator delete done!

Now for the good news....and the bad news(depending on how you see it)

The good news is that there is absolutely no drone whatsoever. In fact, the exhaust note is only a little louder from the outside and on the inside - you can hardly even tell that it is louder. The note is very nice now, a deeper burble. I would say that the tone and loudness is the same as my stock mk5 Gti.

The bad news is that I expected the exhaust to be louder and there is absolutely no crackle and pop on downshifts and no DSG crack on upshifts. Zero. Zilch.

Overall, I am happy that i've done this mod. For $80, the car sounds more deeper and throatier without any negatives. I reckon that as I put more k's on her - the exhaust note will only get better and better. And of course, once a stage 1 tune goes in - she'll sound even more better, and perhaps there might be a little bit of crackle and pop.

I lifted the resonator and I think that it weighs around 5Kg. That's 5kg of unnecessary weight off my car. I'm still scratching my head as to why VW engineers incorporated this resonator into the car. With it removed, the exhaust sounds a lot better without being loud. I think their aim is to try and make this car as quiet as possible.

One thing I've learnt though, is that the rear mufflers are doing a very good job of muffling the exhaust sound on the new Tiguan. Either that or the downpipe is more restrictive than the downpipe of a GTi. I know that it must be the more restrictive downpipe because when I changed the downpipe of my Golf R wagon to a 3" catless downpipe - the car was crackling like a machine gun whenever I lift off the throttle. On upshifts, the DSG crack was deafening as well.
    I think you're on the money with your theory about VW attempting to make the car as quiet as possible, and they've done well to achieve that. In a lot of reviews the quietness is mentioned as a positive.

Good to know that the mod made it a little bit more present. I might consider doing it for mine, especially for that price.

In regards to the crackle, I did get a few in the demo car that I drove when I was pushing it hard, they were pretty quiet, but there. Maybe because it had a done a few more kms and perhaps it was because I was giving it a good workout, while most of the owners so far are babysitting their cars for the first few thousand kms.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast