Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrol or Diesel Engine VW Tiguan - 140TDI 162TSI?

My 162TSI does way better that 11k/100km and no I did not miss the point. Buy a 130, it costs way less that a 162 or a diesel.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by spicyrambutan View Post
    Hi Fellow VDubbers,

I am in the market for a new MY17 Tiguan R-Line and am debating whether to go for the 140TDI or the 162TSI.

I have read a number of reviews about the two variants and the differences in performance. I am more interested in fuel economy as a primary requirement and performance is secondary. I understand that the 162TSI engine is similar (or equivalent) to the high performance engine in the GTI Golf.

I have never owned a diesel vehicle before. I'm currently driving an 2003 2.0L Golf Sports.

I only drive relatively low kilometres only on weekends, with the occasional country / long distance drive maybe once every few weeks.

One of the dealers I visited yesterday warned me against purchasing the 140 TDI due to issues with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) if I don't allow the vehicle to drive long enough distances for the heat of the engine to clean the filter whilst driving. The dealer explained that regular short distance driving in a diesel without doing long distances often is a recipe for disaster as the engine life will be shortened and I would be up for expensive repairs. Is this a real issue for the latest Tiguan TDI models?

I notice that the 162TSI appears to be more popular than the 140TDI, according to what I am reading in the forums. Is it because of this factor, or mainly due to the greater performance of the petrol engine?

I look forward to the advice of my learned friends! Thanks.

SpicyRambutan

P.S. Any tips on the best deals received will be much appreciated! I see that the deals received a few weeks and months ago may not be so easy to get now due to the scarecity or stock and the long order wait times.
    I thought I wanted a Diesel for fuel economy and stronger engine blah blah blah. I drove the 140TDI and 162TSI and the 162 just felt better to me. I'm not after performance either and I've always been a petrol driver.... so maybe it's just what I've been used to. Diesel engines are also not the cleanest.... even new diesels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Some of you guys are mising the point, the OP wants the fuel economy first and the performance second.

On short trips your 162TSI will drink around 11L/100km or even more depends from conditions, where the TDI will sip only around 1/2 of that.

Our 2.0L TDI returns 6.2/100 on everyday 7km one way short trip. Do your math OP, you will start saving money well before you do 50,000km. Also the Diesel engine is much more durable than the TSI, if you decide to keep your TIG forever.
    Will the TDI engine remain more durable with a longer lifespan than the TSI engine based on a driving pattern of mainly short trips on weekends with only the occasional long trip once every few weeks, considering the requirements for regular long drives with the Diesel Particulate Filter?

Users Country Flag
    Mate don't over think it.

The diesel will get you more KMs per tank.

The petrol motor drives better.

Which do you need more?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by REXman View Post
    Mate don't over think it.

The diesel will get you more KMs per tank.

The petrol motor drives better.

Which do you need more?
    It depends, ....if I'm going to tow the caravan with 4 people through the hills and at 110km/h on highway, I rather have the TDI under the bonnet, it will drive better. I hate to even think what the fuel consumption would be under these circumstances with the TSI.
    Or which would last longer?

Oh, and as far as the extra cost for the diesel engine? If you pay your car monthly, then you pay less for the fuel every months, which will offset the extra cost. Plus the TDI should retain value better than TSI. Both can be tuned to get more power and again the extra power should be less taxing on the TDI.
    Last edited by Transporter; 12-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    It depends, ....if I'm going to tow the caravan with 4 people through the hills and at 110km/h on highway, I rather have the TDI under the bonnet, it will drive better. I hate to even think what the fuel consumption would be under these circumstances with the TSI.
    Or which would last longer?

Oh, and as far as the extra cost for the diesel engine? If you pay your car monthly, then you pay less for the fuel every months, which will offset the extra cost. Plus the TDI should retain value better than TSI. Both can be tuned to get more power and again the extra power should be less taxing on the TDI.
    I'm not planning on towing a boat or caravan, and I will be doing more inner city stop/start and suburban driving than country / freeway driving.

Users Country Flag
    I'm not planning on towing a boat or caravan, and I will be doing more inner city stop/start and suburban driving than country / freeway driving.
    I'm sorry, I only replied to comment that TSI drives better. Wanted to point out that not in all situations the TSI drives better.

But, not everyone gets an "Ok" fuel economy when driving petrol engined car in the city, whereas the TDI will return very good fuel economy under all driving conditions for any driver.

I wish you luck with your decision, I'm sure that you'll be happy with the either.

Users Country Flag
    Was told by the dealership that it's best to drive atleast 20km on freeway weekly with TDI engine to clean the engine. If you manage to do that on a weekly basis then could have more maintenance issues? Seems like old traditional advice but still worth considering

I chose the 140TDI. I'm averaging 6.5l/100km on shorter trips around the Inner West of Sydney and 5.4l/100km on longer stretches down the M5 (I have to do a 100km round trip every couple of weeks). This is my first diesel engine and having had it since early December I'm really happy with it. I tend to fluctuate between "normal" and "sport" modes when around town and flick it over to "eco" on longer roads (I do notice the car's acceleration from a stand still is more lethargic in eco mode). Honestly, I hardly notice any hesitation when in the other modes - it drives really well and there's never any hesitation when over-taking.

Some rough calculations based on diesel and pulp prices as well as approximate distances per tank for my particular driving usage sees the diesel coming in between $1000-$1500 per year cheaper in fuel on 20,000km per year. I didn't include other costs such as adblue (diesel only expense) or servicing costs (diesel is cheaper). My intention is to hold onto the car for around 5 years so that works for me.

That figure is specific to me and will differ for others but, to me, that meant the $1500 difference between the 140TDI and the 162TSI was effectively nullified after the 12-18 months.

For those saying the 132TSI - you can't get that in a highline so it's entirely irrelevant, the only comparison available in our market is 140TDI vs 162TSI.

It's really hard to give advice on this kind of question because there's so many variables to individual driving circumstances and preferences which should have far more bearing on which engine to go with so take each opinion, mine included, with a grain of salt and test drive both and choose.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either as it really is an awesome car - particularly with the R-Line option

Quote Originally Posted by dlotters View Post
    I chose the 140TDI. I'm averaging 6.5l/100km on shorter trips around the Inner West of Sydney and 5.4l/100km on longer stretches down the M5 (I have to do a 100km round trip every couple of weeks).
    Mine (140TDI) is still on first tank filled from dealership and my long term is 8.9
    Even I rest the consumption still 8.7. I have a 10km patch on 100km/h every day on a 25 km journey each way. Definitely not happy with consupmtion.
    Not sure why its so bad.

The only reason I bought TDI over TSI was consumption and here I am.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast