Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No TP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooboy View Post
    I think I know how it happened. This is from the AutoInstruct page for enabling TMC

Select Control Unit 5F (Information Electrical)
    Adaptations
    Change Fee Based Traffic Information (TMC) value to ‘1024’
    Next, in the normal radio settings, enable ‘Traffic Programme (TP)’ and RDS
    Yes, Rooboy is correct in saying that if you do enable TMC, you also must enable TP in the normal car settings. If you don't enable TMC, you can leave TP switched off as it has no functionality in Australia.

Mickofoz

Are you sure that these have no function in Aus or just that VW does not pay SUMA a subscription per vehicle?

The reason I ask this is that I also have a Touareg and if you tell the car that it has the Audi radio ( both identical but called differently) then these do work perfectly

I am waiting for my 2018 delivery of. Tiguan Highline at the end of this month so cannot check

Fred

Users Country Flag
    It definitely works!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
    Mickofoz

Are you sure that these have no function in Aus or just that VW does not pay SUMA a subscription per vehicle?

The reason I ask this is that I also have a Touareg and if you tell the car that it has the Audi radio ( both identical but called differently) then these do work perfectly

I am waiting for my 2018 delivery of. Tiguan Highline at the end of this month so cannot check

Fred
    Correct, VW in OZ don’t pay SUMA hence it’s not enabled. Maybe this has changed now but I also just bought a GOLF R-LINE 7.5 and it too doesn’t have TMC enabled... well, it has now...
    However, for the NORMAL VW owner out there, TP has no functionality in OZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    Yes, Rooboy is correct in saying that if you do enable TMC, you also must enable TP in the normal car settings. If you don't enable TMC, you can leave TP switched off as it has no functionality in Australia.
    Confusion has returned so let me outline what I understand, not much! TMC was enabled and a long time after I noticed the TP/NO TP message in the header bar. When media is playing from the USB and I presume the SD cards but I haven't checked that NO TP is displayed, if I stop the media then I see TP. I have noticed this in near metro areas and also in rural areas.

Yesterday after being made aware of what it is all about I went into settings and unticked TP to disable it and I haven't driven the car since but it went away as I presume it should. I have not checked TMC to see if it still works and I will do that tomorrow. Is this the expected behaviour?

Users Country Flag
    I didn’t know you had TMC activated in which case you must also enable TP for it to work. I haven’t come across the No TP message here in Adelaide. I’m assuming the radio station you’re on doesn’t send any traffic signals. Not sure.

I don't understand how it all works I just thought TMC was TMC. If TP is not possible in this country (anyone know any different?) then I will give it the finger and just ignore it. I never listen to the radio, it is either audio books or some music so I have never investigated any settings involved with the radio. I am surprised no one else has asked the question TTTT or if they have I missed it all.

No TP

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I don't understand how it all works I just thought TMC was TMC. If TP is not possible in this country (anyone know any different?) then I will give it the finger and just ignore it. I never listen to the radio, it is either audio books or some music so I have never investigated any settings involved with the radio. I am surprised no one else has asked the question TTTT or if they have I missed it all.
    TP/TMC are essentially the same thing in Australia.

I have an MY13 A6 Allroad with a 3G+ MMI system, and it calls the traffic information “TP”. My wife has a MY17 Tiguan and it calls the same information “TMC”.

In both cases it had to be activated with VCDS, I can help Sydney owners with this if they wish. Current models have this enabled by default in most cases. If they don’t it’s a snap to turn on. I was involved with discovering how to switch this on with VAG vehicles when I first bought the Audi in 2013.

The data presented is nowhere as detailed as google maps or Waze but it does make the Nav system far more usable. If “Dynamic Routing” is activated it will divert you around traffic snarls. In Sydney it downloads roughly 130 to 200 seperate entries after a minute or so. It is certainly worth turning on. Costs nothing, and may save you from a traffic jam or two.

The data is transmitted through the FM radio network by “SUNA traffic”. It does not require a SIM card or any other data plan to operate. It is freely transmitted so doesn’t require licensing. All you need is the hardware to receive and decode the signal. It only works in capital cities. You won’t get it in regional areas. You wouldn’t need it anyway as you don’t have traffic issues. You don’t have to tune your radio in to a particular frequency. It has a seperate tuner dedicated to this function and it’s operation is totally automatic.

Hope this clears a few things up.
    Last edited by IsDon; 19-03-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    TP/TMC are essentially the same thing in Australia.

I have an MY13 A6 Allroad with a 3G+ MMI system, and it calls the traffic information “TP”. My wife has a MY17 Tiguan and it calls the same information “TMC”.

In both cases it had to be activated with VCDS, I can help Sydney owners with this if they wish. Current models have this enabled by default in most cases. If they don’t it’s a snap to turn on. I was involved with discovering how to switch this on with VAG vehicles when I first bought the Audi in 2013.

The data presented is nowhere as detailed as google maps or Waze but it does make the Nav system far more usable. If “Dynamic Routing” is activated it will divert you around traffic snarls. In Sydney it downloads roughly 130 to 200 seperate entries after a minute or so. It is certainly worth turning on. Costs nothing, and may save you from a traffic jam or two.

The data is transmitted through the FM radio network by “SUNA traffic”. It does not require a SIM card or any other data plan to operate. It is freely transmitted so doesn’t require licensing. All you need is the hardware to receive and decode the signal. It only works in capital cities. You won’t get it in regional areas. You wouldn’t need it anyway as you don’t have traffic issues. You don’t have to tune your radio in to a particular frequency. It has a seperate tuner dedicated to this function and it’s operation is totally automatic.

Hope this clears a few things up.

There still seems to be some confusion about TP and TMC.
    TP is NOT TMC!
    In older Radios like the RCD310 etc, TP has no function in Australia. In Germany TP is a system that receives a signal from the radio station. Once received, the radio for example goes off mute if you had it muted and allows you to listen to radio announcements on the traffic situation in your area. This is a legal requirement for all German Radio stations. Once the announcement is over, the radio station sends out an end signal and the radio goes back to what it was doing before, eg goes back into mute or continues playing your CD.

TMC is an extension to TP in that it displays text messages to radios with SatNavs. For TMC to work however, TP must also be switched on.

Hope this clears up the TP/TMC myths floating around.

Users Country Flag

Does everyone who enables TMC with OBD11/VCDS in Australia end up with the TP error that the OP noticed? Is the error an intermittent thing or a constant error because there's no TP in Australia?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast