Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Jam Assist

Traffic Jam Assist

Has anyone used it in stop/start/peak hour conditions?

Users Country Flag
    There's a thread here: Adaptive Cruise Control / Lane Assist

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Thanks, I am aware of that thread but had forgotten about it. I am after some first hand experience of someone who has used it...

Does it self steer
    Does it have a time out limit or does it have to be activated after a period of being stationery.

ACC will do some stuff in the older cars and self start after a limited stationery time (3 secs?) but my impression from watching some videos is that TJA does not have a time limit and the car self steers. I don't live in a metro area so I haven't had the chance to try it and I was sceptical if the car even had the feature prior to taking delivery of the car and reading the manual.

Ok, I have worked out that my car (162 Highline with DA) does not have active lane assist hence it does not have TJA. Disappointing really but I was always sceptical so no big deal as I suspect it will be there just not activated. Do the R Line cars have active lane assist in Oz??

Users Country Flag
    (deleted double post)
    Last edited by latearrival; 23-02-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: double-post

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Ok, I have worked out that my car (162 Highline with DA) does not have active lane assist hence it does not have TJA. Disappointing really but I was always sceptical so no big deal as I suspect it will be there just not activated. Do the R Line cars have active lane assist in Oz??
    Are you sure about it not having active lane assist? The VW page for the Tig says, "Using a camera to monitor the markings on the road ahead, Lane Assist helps keep you safe by working to prevent you leaving your lane unintentionally. If you start to leave your lane without indicating the system takes corrective steering action. If you still don’t respond a message will appear in the Multi-Function Display in conjunction with a warning tone"
    Last edited by latearrival; 23-02-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Active lane assist is not on the assistance menu that appears when the button on the end button on the indicator stork is pressed. Lane assist is there but for JTA to work it needs active lane assist to be present and activated. There was a post put up that said the camera fitted did not support JTA and that certainly was the case in earlier cars including Audi from what I can find out. There is very little out there that says anything about JTA which I also found strange. It may well be that it is there and can be activated and I would buy the cable and software to do that but as of yet I can find nothing or anyone who has done it. I wonder of the R line has active lane assist, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I wonder of the R line has active lane assist, can anyone confirm or deny this?
    I don't have my Tig yet but there's been some discussion of this in this thread:
    Overall Pros and Cons

What I (think) I've learned is that DAP (no need for R/Line) should give you:
    - ACC which works at low and high speeds.
    - Active Lane Assist which actively steers the car back into the lane if drifting out of it. This is only active > 65km/h.
    - TJA requires low-speed ACC (tick) and for some form of low-speed Active Lane Assist. No Australian model has this.

NZ models, but not Australian models, have both TJA and something called Adaptive Lane Guidance. Whereas Active Lane Assist 'bounces' the car from one side of the lane to the other if you're not steering, ALG will keep the car centred in the lane.

I'm just repeating what others have said - I have no first hand experience of any of this!

It does frustrate me that these cars have these additional capabilities that I assume are software suppressed. Like you, I hope we can find a way to activate them.
    Last edited by latearrival; 23-02-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: fixed typo

The handbook shows a menu item for active lane assist and specifies that it must be activated + ACC for JTA to work. It seems strange for both Passat and Skoda Superb to have JTA where the Tiguan does not and they all use roughly the same systems. My suspicion is that it is just not activated. As I said above the only menu item is lane assist which does steer the car but not as I expect active lane assist to do. I am more disappointed at VWA for not having it as a basic feature in the DAP package than anything else as I don't live in the metro area, if I did I would truly be P'd off. I was in a traffic jam for an hour the other day and just used the reset feature of ACC to control the car.

Can someone with another DAP equipped car confirm my findings please, there must be others who have a 162 with DAP out there reading this.
    Last edited by Ozsko; 23-02-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Users Country Flag

i was very keen for Traffic Jam Assist but unfortunately it is not available in Australian models. Refer to this article 2017 Volkswagen Golf review | CarAdvice you will note it refers to TJA not yet available.

"The Traffic Jam Assist system that handles steering, braking and accelerating itself under 60km/h in gridlock, is being evaluated for our market. Should it become available, Volkswagen would be able to offer among the best partial-autonomy in the market."

This article also refers to TJA being evaluated for the Aus market... Volkswagen suggests Australia-specific suspension not necessary for its cars
    Current: MY17 VW Tiguan Highline 162TSI - Pure White, R-Line, Driver Assistance Pack, Sunroof
    MY14 Audi S3 Sedan, Misano Red, Performance Pack, Sunroof
    MY11 VW Golf R - Candy White. Bluetooth, MDI, Sunroof, RNS510

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast