Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tiguan - How many KM should be on the Odometer when collecting from Dealer ?

Users Country Flag

Question New Tiguan - How many KM should be on the Odometer when collecting from Dealer ?

I am looking to sign a contract for a new 2018 Tiguan

How many Kilometers (KM) should be on the odometer when I collect the Tiguan from the Dealer ?

What have been peoples experiences with the number of KM when collecting a new car from the dealer ?

Cheers
    Last edited by FastMitch; 10-04-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Mine had 26 on it.. I wouldn't have an issue anywhere upto 100 depending on location of the dealer etc

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Anywhere up to 30-40km is pretty "normal". I know some dealers will take their stock cars for "demo" drives if they don't have a demo available. I wouldn't be too happy buying a "brand new" car that's been taken for test drives.

If you buy one that is getting built then it should be "delivery" km only. There's are few km just getting it on/off boats and into holding yards, etc. Then once it gets to the dealer they'll need to take it for pre-delivery, petrol station to fill the tank, etc, etc. So depending on how far away all these are it's not unusual to have a few km on the clock. If it was more than 50 I'd be asking questions.

If you're concerned have it written into the contract that the car will have no more than x km. Ask the dealer what is reasonable and put that in the contract. That way you don't have to accept a car that has more km on the clock. If you don't then it gets very grey.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Depends on a lot of things, like how the dealership is laid i.e. are service, their holding yard, the pre-delivery department and sales on completely different sites? The cars will have a trade plate fitted, and driven between them as needed, likewise, if you've asked for a full tank of fuel. Not many dealerships have on-site bowsers anymore. Will it need to go off-site for accessories, such as tint? Are you buying it off the lot, or is it a special order? If it's been at the the dealership for a while, chances are it will have been demo'd with prospective buyers.

Taking all those things into consideration, it's very rare to see a car being delivered with a single digit odometer reading. They usually have a handful of k's on them when they lob in off the truck, having been driven around between the production plant, the docks, the ship, the holding yards, and the car carriers.

Having worked at dealerships for over 10 years, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that a specifically-ordered brand new car could have maybe up to 20kms on the clock at the most, by the time you take ownership.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Grugly View Post
    Mine had 26 on it.. I wouldn't have an issue anywhere upto 100 depending on location of the dealer etc
    Thanks Grugly. My current car had around 14 kms when I picked it up from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Anywhere up to 30-40km is pretty "normal". I know some dealers will take their stock cars for "demo" drives if they don't have a demo available. I wouldn't be too happy buying a "brand new" car that's been taken for test drives.
    ... If you're concerned have it written into the contract that the car will have no more than x km.
    Thanks tigger. I agree I don't want my new car used for client test drives. I have now added this to the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Having worked at dealerships for over 10 years, I would think it would be reasonable to expect that a specifically-ordered brand new car could have maybe up to 20kms on the clock at the most, by the time you take ownership.
    Thanks Umai; so is it reasonable to have on the agreement not more than 20 kms on the odometer ?

Hi there

Mine had about 20-25. Distance from their delivery workshop and the dealer was about 6.. then there is on/off boat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    I am looking to sign a contract for a new 2018 Tiguan

How many Kilometers (KM) should be on the odometer when I collect the Tiguan from the Dealer ?

What have been peoples experiences with the number of KM when collecting a new car from the dealer ?

Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugly View Post

Thanks Grugly. My old car had around 14 kms when I picked it up from the dealer new.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    ... If you're concerned have it written into the contract that the car will have no more than x km.

Thanks tigger. I agree I don't want my new car used for client test drives. I have now added this to the agreement with the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post

Thanks Umai; so is it reasonable to have on the agreement that states for the car not to have more than 20 kms on the odometer ?

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Thanks Umai; so is it reasonable to have on the agreement that states for the car not to have more than 20 kms on the odometer ?
    No I don’t think that’s reasonable. Are you going to reject the car if it’s gone over 1km? As other posters have mentioned, the dealership may need to do a predelivery test drive, drive the car to a third party for tinting or paint protection, take it to the petrol station to fill it up etc. you could request for the car to be locked and not available for test driving, but stating less than 20km on the agreement is quite silly. Within 50km on the clock is fine. If it’s more than 100km, then you can start asking questions.

Users Country Flag
    I never suggested it as some sort of benchmark, but more or less just a typical amount of k's for the circumstance.

There are way too many variables, to be able to state any hard and fast figures.

Honestly, if it's got what you think are high k's on it at handover, make mention of it, and maybe you'll get a fuel voucher or something.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Mine had 20km.
    My old one had 80km.
    I guess it can vary...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast