Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delewin View Post
    Hi Don and Shane

With the RT product if you run out of VIN spots does it just ask you to choose which one to forget or are you cactus?

Can you save a complete VIN profile xand then reload it back when you want to work on that car?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Below is a short story from Uwe Ross (from the RT forum) that explains how the VIN limits work.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe
    Why sell VIN-Limited interfaces?
    Because it allows us to charge for the product in a manner that's somewhat commensurate with how the product is used. A professional workshop that's in and out of several vehicles a day with their VCDS gets considerably more value from the product than a private individual who only uses it occasionally one one or two of his own cars. When the previous generation of interfaces was designed 10-12 years ago, most VW/Audi cars on the road did not yet know their own VIN, so it was not really practical to restrict usage that way. Hence the pricing on our universal interfaces (interfaces that worked with all the cars available at that point) had always something of a compromise. Plenty of workshops told us that VCDS was the best value for the money of any tool they'd ever bought and that we could/should charge more, but we were already at or close to the limit of what an enthusiast would pay, and enthusiasts were (and still are!) a very important part of our business. In fact, the reason this product exists is that I got frustrated that I couldn't trouble-shoot my own cars anymore in the late 1990s. Some pros suggested that we make a less expensive version for enthusiasts by restricting the what the enthusiast version could do, but that was not an approach that was palatable to me. So now a decade later, most of the cars people are working on do know their VINs and restricting the number of cars an enthusiast can perform certain functions on seems like a reasonable way of differentiating between a "pro" and a private individual.

Will VCDS count a car's VIN as toward the license limit as soon as I plug into a particular car?
    No! VCDS will never count a VIN toward the license limit without the user's explicit permission. It will always ask you first, thereby giving you the opportunity to decline to "register" a VIN in the interface. Besides, there are a lot of useful things you can do on an unlimited number of cars.

What functions are not VIN-Restricted?
    A VIN-Limited interface can do Auto-Scans, Clear DTCs, and look at Measuring Values on an unlimited number of cars. I think this is important because I wouldn't want to keep an enthusiast from doing basic diagnostics on his friends' cars, or to use his VCDS when evaluating used cars he's contemplating buying. You wouldn't buy a used car without doing an Auto-Scan on it first, right? In addition, you can make channel maps on an unlimited number of cars because sending us those maps helps us improve the product.

What functions are VIN-Restricted?
    In essence, it's those functions that actually change things in the car:

In addition, directly accessing a control module outside of an Auto-Scan will prompt the user whether he wants to "register" that car's VIN, but declining to do so at that point will not prevent access to the module.

What about older cars that do not know their VIN?
    Simple: They are free. You can do anything and everything on those cars without them counting toward the license limit.

Which cars do and don't know their VIN?
    Virtually all model year 2002 and newer do know their VINs -- basically those cars with Immo-3 and up. I believe the only model year 2000 car that had Immo-3 was the Audi A8, but a few others got Immo-3 in model year 2001.

If I sell one of my cars, can I de-register and free up that VIN slot?
    No, it doesn't work that way. VINs are stored permanently. They cannot be erased.

Can I upgrade a 3-VIN license to 10 VINs, or a 10-VIN license to Unlimited?
    Yes, absolutely. There's a provision for that in our store.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Don
    Thank you.
    I am now settled. I will get the 10 VIN cable unit for US $299.

With all things I read that can be changed I think it is money well spent.

If I ever need to upgrade I it will cost an extra US $169 to go unlimited VIN.

As I have just spent ~$52,000 on my 162 TSI I want to give it a bit of tlc and personalisation.

One thing I love about my 162 to the untrained eye is it looks just like any other Tiguan. The difference is when I will plant my right foot. Contrary to some on this forum, I think it has a nice note under full acceleration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    Please forgive me for these stupid questions...
    Does OBDeleven allow you to do things like turn off stop/start, make recirc aircon default mode? I would also appreciate it if members could let me know what other tweaks it will do. The 2017 Tiguan isn't a listed model on their website, so not really able to work it out. I would happily purchase an android tablet etc to tweak certain things if I thought it was money well spent?
    thank you to all who take time to reply...
    cheers
    Gary
    2017 Tiguan R Line 162TSI, DAP, White. Upgraded speakers.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Regdop View Post
    Does OBDeleven allow you to do things like turn off stop/start, make recirc aircon default mode? I would also appreciate it if members could let me know what other tweaks it will do. The 2017 Tiguan isn't a listed model on their website, so not really able to work it out. I would happily purchase an android tablet etc to tweak certain things if I thought it was money well spent?
    cheers
    Gary
    Yes it indeed does. Supports short and long coding etc. In essence you can do same as RT.

They also have "apps" which are prepackaged codings for certain cars and features (cost points per app used each time - whether std or pro model). This costs money to buy the points but you don't need to use the apps if you can program yourself.

AFAIK This is mostly what their vehicle support is about.

Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Regdop View Post
    cheers
    Gary
    Gary: Hi - As Shane has indicated, OBD11 can do both adaptation channel and code-string changes, but you must buy the Pro unit to use these facilities. However, whilst the device has these capabilities, there are a few prerequisites that must be satisfied first before the user can successfully modify the control modules in the vehicle (regardless of whether the vehicle is a Tiggy, or any other car).

Perhaps the principal prerequisite is knowledge of the security codes for each module. Some changes need the user to first enter a security code before the control module will allow user access Typically the instances where security codes are needed are for adaptation changes (albeit, not all adaptation channel changes require security codes).

In the main, the security code numbers are found on the net and there has been a certain amount of cross-model sharing of these codes in the past. It's difficult to say how these numbers come into the public domain, but they certainly aren't available from VW directly in any way. I've had a degree of success finding new security codes by force polling the module with all possible combination of numbers. But, security codes have in the past been five-digit numbers, so 100,000 different candidate numbers need to be tried using this method ( it takes about 12 hours of continuous polling to try 100,000 numbers). I understand that VW is investigating 6 x digit security numbers!!

So- the reason why I'm telling you this is that some newer control modules on MQB platform vehicles use different security codes to their older siblings and to date no-one has found the correct number. The key example of this is the instrument control module @ address hex17 - since the introduction of MY16 models, no-one has been able to make changes to these modules that require a security number (except for the isolated case of the dash lighting algorithm). I suspect that the new Tiggy's instrument module will suffer this same problem, but I'm unsure if any other module in the new Tiggy will suffer the same fate. Time and experience of your colleague forum members will determine how many modules have unknown security numbers.

One final point about Shane's excellent reference to OBD11's Apps. They certainly are a quick and easy way to implement tweaks for the uninitiated (but they do cost credits). My advice is to try to minimize their use: using Apps tends to stifle user education because they are so easy to use. Think of each tweak as an opportunity to learn - Apps negate that opportunity. So use them sparingly and try to make a few errors because they are by far the best learning experience.

As for the tweaks that you mentioned, I was able to implement Traffic messages appearing on the SATNAV when the "TRAFFIC" button is pressed and disable Start-Stop on the new Tiggy that VWYW owns so I can confirm that these tweaks do work. To find other possible tweaks, just Google "VCDS" and cars like Skoda, Golf mk7 or any other MQB platform vehicle - or look on the OBD11 proboard.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 21-03-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Gary: Hi - As Shane has indicated, OBD11 can do both adaptation channel and code-string changes, but you must buy the Pro unit to use these facilities. However, whilst the device has these capabilities, there are a few prerequisites that must be satisfied first before the user can successfully modify the control modules in the vehicle (regardless of whether the vehicle is a Tiggy, or any other car).

Perhaps the principal prerequisite is knowledge of the security codes for each module. Some changes need the user to first enter a security code before the control module will allow user access Typically the instances where security codes are needed are for adaptation changes (albeit, not all adaptation channel changes require security codes).

In the main, the security code numbers are found on the net and there has been a certain amount of cross-model sharing of these codes in the past. It's difficult to say how these numbers come into the public domain, but they certainly aren't available from VW directly in any way. I've had a degree of success finding new security codes by force polling the module with all possible combination of numbers. But, security codes have in the past been five-digit numbers, so 100,000 different candidate numbers need to be tried using this method ( it takes about 12 hours of continuous polling to try 100,000 numbers). I understand that VW is investigating 6 x digit security numbers!!

So- the reason why I'm telling you this is that some newer control modules on MQB platform vehicles use different security codes to their older siblings and to date no-one has found the correct number. The key example of this is the instrument control module @ address hex17 - since the introduction of MY16 models, no-one has been able to make changes to these modules that require a security number (except for the isolated case of the dash lighting algorithm). I suspect that the new Tiggy's instrument module will suffer this same problem, but I'm unsure if any other module in the new Tiggy will suffer the same fate. Time and experience of your colleague forum members will determine how many modules have unknown security numbers.

One final point about Shane's excellent reference to OBD11's Apps. They certainly are a quick and easy way to implement tweaks for the uninitiated (but they do cost credits). My advice is to try to minimize their use: using Apps tends to stifle user education because they are so easy to use. Think of each tweak as an opportunity to learn - Apps negate that opportunity. So use them sparingly and try to make a few errors because they are by far the best learning experience.

As for the tweaks that you mentioned, I was able to implement Traffic messages appearing on the SATNAV when the "TRAFFIC" button is pressed and disable Start-Stop on the new Tiggy that VWYW owns so I can confirm that these tweaks do work. To find other possible tweaks, just Google "VCDS" and cars like Skoda, Golf mk7 or any other MQB platform vehicle - or look on the OBD11 proboard.

Don
    Cheers Don for your very thorough reply! I appreciate the time it took to write. I will indeed carry out more research before I travel this path. I am relatively new to this form, but really love the benefits of it...thanks very much indeed... Gary
    2017 Tiguan R Line 162TSI, DAP, White. Upgraded speakers.

Users Country Flag
    Thought it was time that I finally get my act together and put up details for the tweaks that I have been doing with the Active Info Display as well as some other things I have found.

These instructions are using OBDEleven but can also be achieved using VCDS as well.

Go to Module 17 - Dash Board
    In Adaptation search for Display depiction
    Within this there are 4 Versions available.
    The default is Version 1 and as far as I can tell Version 2 is identical.

Version 3 gives you the Gold display which I really like especially with the golden dots that bounce around when switching screens

Version 4 is a more minimalist version of 1 (and 2)

I really like the golden one however it just doesn't match the blue colouring within the Infotainment system. I have tried to see if there is an option to have the same gold colour but so far no luck. Because of this I am currently running Version 4 as I like the cleaner more minimalist look of this one.

The only colour changes I have managed to make is to change the absolute bottom line from blue to white.

Go to Module 5F - Information Control Unit
    Coding
    byte_17_Skinning
    The default value is Skin_1

Skin_2 gives you the white line at the bottom as well as white box around the FM Station logos:

Skin_3 and no_Skin looks the same as Skin_1

Hunting around the coding posts on other forum sites I discovered on the Golf you can change the car image on the Infotainment system from a standard Golf to a GTI so I got all excited that this might be the same as I really wished the car that is shown in my was a R Line and not the standard Tiguan but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case at this stage (am hoping they might include this as an option in later software updates). I did find that you can change the type of car that is displayed altogether (you can have it show a Touran if you want).

Coding
    byte_2_Car_Derivate
    Available Values are 0-9
    Tiguan = Value 6

Golf = Values 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 (Not sure if there is any difference between these)

Golf Wagon = Value 2

Touran = Value 8, 9 (Not sure of the difference here either)

byte_2_Car_Derivate_Supplement setting is where you can apparently change the Golf to a GTI version by setting byte_2_Car_Derivate to 0 and byte_2_Car_Derivate_Supplement to 1 although this didn't seem to work on mine, the Golf just remained the same so don't know if you need a specific software version for this.

Unfortunately changing the byte_2_Car_Derivate_Supplement value for the Tiguan doesn't make any difference to the car images displayed.

One last thing I have tweaked is the logo that appears on the Infotainment screen when it boots up, as standard it showed R Line (obviously if you have a non R Line then this will be different) but I have now go it showing the R Logo. This is a very minor change any hardly noticed, especially on mine as it only flashes up for a few seconds then switched to the DYNAUDIO logo instead.

Coding
    byte_18_Screenings
    0 = None
    1 = Hybrid
    2 = GTD
    3 = GTI
    4 = Bluemotion
    5 = E-Golf
    6 = R Line
    7 = Golf R

I haven't tested all of these (info is taken from a MK7 Golf posting) but I know that 6 & 7 are definitely correct.

Just one note, any changes you make to the Infotainment System requires you doing a full reboot of it before it takes effect. To do this hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds until the screen goes blank and then it will automatically reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Ok, so here are few from me All tested and working. I dropped those from NZ_GolfR to avoid duplicating.

- LED lights in door mirrors light, even in close:

Modules 42 and 52 -> Coding -> Byte 01 -> Bit 5 deactivated

- DRL off when lights switch on position "0", but on when "AUTO":

Module 09 -> Security Access enabled -> Adaptation -> search for "ENG115734" and change to inactive

- DLR option to switch on/off from menu (independent from above tweak):

Module 09 -> Security Access enabled -> Adaptation -> search for "ENG116594" and select from dropdown "Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich" -> change to active

Now you can go to Car Setup menu and you'll find extra tick to enable/disable DLRs.

- Refuel quantity on AID as one of Driving data options:

Module 17 -> Coding -> Byte 10 -> Bit 4 activated

- Fan speed indicator (leds around button) when in AUTO mode:

Module 08 -> Coding -> Byte 11 -> Bit 6 activated

- Disable "ingnition on" alarm, when drivers door open:

Module 17 -> Adaptation -> search for "ignition" and select "actuator should appear as the only entry" from list -> change to "No display"

- Changing "blink" number on comfort blinkers:

Module 09 -> Security Access -> Adaptation -> select "Turn Signal Controls-Komfortblinken Blinkzykien" -> change between 1 and 5

- Gauge/Needle sweep on AID

Module 17 -> Coding -> Byte 01 -> Bit 00 activated

- "beep" when lock and unlock car doors

Module 09 -> Security Access -> Adaptation -> search for "acknowledgement" and depending what you want, select active or inactive for available options with "Akustische" in description
    Last edited by bestyjny; 24-03-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Cheers guys for recent updates. My OP has been updated to reflect this.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

/Subscribed.

Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast