Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Bar

Light Bar

What is the deal if I want a light bar made to bolt on a set of driving lights. The LEDS are good and for anyone who is twenty years younger than me they are most probably adequate but us old farts lose the ability to absorb light and what young people see as bright is not to us. I think the light loss is about 30% in some cases so it is significant. Apart from that I drive in the bush every time I leave home and the LEDS are not as good as the Bi Xenons were on the Skoda, I wish I could have seen those with 20 year old eyes!! So, I would like to get some Bi Xenon Cibie Super Oscars and bolt them to the front, is this a big deal to do in this day and age with air bags etc, I know bull bars have to be certified so what happens for a light bar.

Users Country Flag
    Early days yet for manufacturing for a nudge bar for our tiggers, ECB East Coast Bullbars- Bull bars, Nudge Bars, Alloy, Steel Winch Bars for 4x4 SUV do one for the older model. But law states it must have ADR compliance. If you got one made custom I doubt you would have a problem even if it wasn't ADR. You could always just get a quality led light bar and attach it via number plate bracket or hide it behind grill. Your showing your age with cibie super oscars lol.

Users Country Flag
    Whatever you mount them to, will need to be solid.

The number plate only screws into the plastic bumper cover. Hanging lights from there isn't a good idea.

If you could make some brackets to come off the reo/crash beam, that'd be the go.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Anything in the front must be ADR approved and airbag compliant.

Would be on your head if you had a frontal and for some reason the airbags didnt activate because of it.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Airbags these days are g-force activated. If the g's are there it will pop regardless of what's bolted on the front. The real issue is the legal one and run risk of a insurance company pulling out of a claim cause you have a un-roadworthy install, but would be rare I would think.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger162 View Post
    Airbags these days are g-force activated. If the g's are there it will pop regardless of what's bolted on the front. The real issue is the legal one and run risk of a insurance company pulling out of a claim cause you have a un-roadworthy install, but would be rare I would think.
    But then once would be enough wouldnt it. Far better to comply rather than be sorry afterwards.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I think blocking the view of the front radar sensor may be a concern, the manual shows a fairly large area in the middle of grill that must be left clear of obstructions.
    Last edited by peter51; 09-04-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    2017 Orange Tiguan 110 TDI Comfortline + DAP .
    Traded 2009 Tiguan TDI auto Mountain Grey.

Users Country Flag
    Might be able to put something in the lower grille area.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I have been crook so I will get back to this in a few days. Thanks for the replies so far.

I have just had a look at some "nudge bars" on ECB's site and they are nothing like what I want, big and ugly springs to mind. I want a bar that is low profile and is contoured to the front of the car not something that looks like it could stand a fair chance of fending off a B double in a head on. They would be the guys to speak to though as they know what the laws are and what can and can't be done. I have been using driving lights off and on for decades and I want a reach of about 600 to 800 metres and the way I have done it before is use two Cibies mounted as high as possible, one a driving light and one a spotlight and I am thinking that I might mount a LED light bar between them for flooding the near ground out to about 200 metres. The new LEDS lightbars are good for close in light but useless for long distance. Overkill? maybe but I will only see a 2/3rds of what younger people see and every time I leave home I am driving in the bush. Now I feel a bit better I will map out the no go areas on the front of the car and see where the lights can't go. The light bar should be so low profile it won't be a problem in that regard.

I am thinking pull the front bar cover off the car, build mounting pads off the reinforcement under it that contact the under surface of the bar cover and put the bar cover back on. Build a light bar that has mounts that match the ones under the bar cover and bolt it on with shear bolts so it can't be thieved by some lowlife who needs some drug money. That would keep it low with no need for anything that looks like a nudge bar. Some top stabiliser mounts from under the leading edge of the bonnet should keep them rock steady and let there be light. First to find some Cibies, the last pair met a bad ending after a trip into a culvert at high speed. If the culvert hadn't been there everything would have turned out ok but such is life.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast