Thread: Incorrect 1st Service Notification - should I reset it?

Users Country Flag

Incorrect 1st Service Notification - should I reset it?

My MY17 Tiguan is telling me that it's due for its 1st oil service and inspection. May 5th being the date programmed into the ECU etc. However I didn't buy it and take delivery until Nov 29 last year (hence the good deal I got). I took it to a dealer (not the selling dealer) for the first service but they didn't service it due to the fact it's only done ~4950km. They said it's due on Nov 29 or at 15000km - fair enough.

They also said they couldn't reset the service warning as that would add 365 days and 15000kms to the current settings meaning that it's be out of kilter with respect to it's programmed dates.

Should I reset it? Should the dealer be able to repgramme the date to Nov 29th?

Users Country Flag
    ...and they’re wrong.
    The oil in the engine should be changed every 12months or 15,000km whichever comes first. So, the logic dictates that it’s irrelevant when you bought your car, unless the dealer changed the oil (very unlikely). The life of the engine oil starts from the time when it was poured into the engine.

Users Country Flag

They can change it with their ODIS diagnostic software.

They just need to work out the days and distance since it should have started counting down, and change it to that.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0