Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Gloss Surface Coating & Window Tinting for NEW VWs by Dealership

Users Country Flag

High Gloss Surface Coating & Window Tinting for NEW VWs by Dealership

So my new Tiguan is coming and I've just been on the phone to them.

They are trying to sell me window tinting and UV coating that I was going to get from a third party.

They are also trying to sell me an external coat which is made up of a Liquid Ceramic Gel with Titanium Dioxide that will never break down. This will cost $1195.

The window tinting is $640 for street legal and $790 for the Cancer Council Dark Night. This includes a UV coating for the front windows.

Am I better off going 3rd party or just go through the dealership which go through MotorOne?

Quote Originally Posted by marcuskmt View Post
    So my new Tiguan is coming and I've just been on the phone to them.

They are trying to sell me window tinting and UV coating that I was going to get from a third party.

They are also trying to sell me an external coat which is made up of a Liquid Ceramic Gel with Titanium Dioxide that will never break down. This will cost $1195.

The window tinting is $640 for street legal and $790 for the Cancer Council Dark Night. This includes a UV coating for the front windows.

Am I better off going 3rd party or just go through the dealership which go through MotorOne?
    Its a can of worms this one....but....the general opinion is that it is always better to go through an after market detailer, and supposedly the best product is Opticoat.

On of the main issues is that a professional detailer will prepare your car far better than a dealer's supplier, in that they should also fix any paint imperfections from transit prior to applying the coating.

Re the tinting, a detailer can also do this for you and there are a lot of options for both darkness and heat deflection.

Also the aftermarket pricing should be less
    2007 GOLF GTI - Reflex Silver | 5DR | DSG | Sunroof | Full Tint | Black Leather
    2017 TIGUAN 162 - Indium Grey | R-Line | DAP | Pano Roof | Full Tint - Ordered 30/3/17 Collected 23/11/17

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bendor View Post
    Its a can of worms this one....but....the general opinion is that it is always better to go through an after market detailer, and supposedly the best product is Opticoat.
    400 Bad Request

It sounds like new car exterior coats are a waste of time and regular detailing is better.

Is there a best product for window tinting?

How does the VW window tinting stack up to other products?

Yes aftermarket you'll get exactly the same for half the price. The markup through dealerships is huge on these products. Fabric protection is 2 x cans of scotchguard. Paint protection you can buy the product and apply yourself for under $100. Or get a good detailer to polish and apply a decent paint protection product for $500-$600.

I've had Opticoat and not sure it's worth the hype as it stopped beading after 6 months and even decontamination treatments only worked for a short time. Seems to be a bit of mixed results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    And you can get the windows tinted by any number of tinting professions in Sydney (id recommend Rob from Hunters Hill window tinting who is awesome) for around $300.

Aftermarket accessories like this is where dealerships make alot of their money. The markup is huge on these items.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Don't even let the dealership wash your car, they have a habit of doing more damage than anything. They are getting better mind you.

Try Hamish at Elite Finish. He can look after your paint protection and tinting needs.

Opti-coat paint protection and window tinting Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Yes aftermarket you'll get exactly the same for half the price. The markup through dealerships is huge on these products. Fabric protection is 2 x cans of scotchguard. Paint protection you can buy the product and apply yourself for under $100. Or get a good detailer to polish and apply a decent paint protection product for $500-$600.

I've had Opticoat and not sure it's worth the hype as it stopped beading after 6 months and even decontamination treatments only worked for a short time. Seems to be a bit of mixed results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the beading and sheeting properties of Opticoat are deminishing it points to contamination build up. Either environmental fallout or mineral build up. Increasing the frequency of washing and decontamination will help. Opti-Coat will not "fall off" unless it hasn't been applied properly, and that's where your warranty comes in.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Markup is huge because the detailer needs a profit from the work and so does the dealership. You are probably paying GST twice etc etc but hey that's business. I personally find smaller detailers tend to spend their time doing a better job rather than the dealership ones which have to get through a large number/rushed job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi marcuskmt

Hamish from Elite Finish does a great job. Of all the OptiCoat authorised dealers in Adelaide, Hamish's prices are the most reasonable. I had interior and exterior done for under $1K and he threw in Opticoat for the wheels for free. It would be at least $1,400 for the others as they charge large SUV prices for the Tiguan whereas Hamish charges a small SUV price.

Anybody have any experience with Permagard which is used by Mercedes dealerships?

I have a good mate who can get me this for me at cost, but from what I have read elsewhere Opticoat > Permagard.

That said there also appears to be plenty of people who think the whole coating idea is a waste of money, but at cost price I'm tempted to give it a go this once.....then again I'm also tempted to maybe do the outside only in Opticoat if superior.

*sigh* I blame VW for making me wait so long allowing me all this time to agonize over petty things!
    2007 GOLF GTI - Reflex Silver | 5DR | DSG | Sunroof | Full Tint | Black Leather
    2017 TIGUAN 162 - Indium Grey | R-Line | DAP | Pano Roof | Full Tint - Ordered 30/3/17 Collected 23/11/17

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bendor View Post
    Anybody have any experience with Permagard which is used by Mercedes dealerships?

I have a good mate who can get me this for me at cost, but from what I have read elsewhere Opticoat > Permagard.

That said there also appears to be plenty of people who think the whole coating idea is a waste of money, but at cost price I'm tempted to give it a go this once.....then again I'm also tempted to maybe do the outside only in Opticoat if superior.

*sigh* I blame VW for making me wait so long allowing me all this time to agonize over petty things!
    Looks like you tend to keep you cars for about 10 years? (based on your signature). Are they mainly garaged or parked outside?

For me, it's a no brainer. I hold onto cars for 5-6 years and they are always garaged so there's no real point bothering with paint protection. My folks have a car cleaning and detailing franchise, so on one of my older cars I applied paint protection while new, but in comparing that car to others I've had, I didn't notice any real difference.

If you keep your car outside and you have if for 10 years, then I guess it's worth considering, but remember that even the ones that are meant to be baked on etc, seem to have to be reapplied. My opinion though is that it's still not worth the cost.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast