Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High Gloss Surface Coating & Window Tinting for NEW VWs by Dealership

Thanks Glad, thats some good advice.

The new 162 will be garaged and we will probably keep this one 4-5 years or so, as that was our normal interval however we decided to have kids in 2010 and the trauma delayed buying new cars!
    2007 GOLF GTI - Reflex Silver | 5DR | DSG | Sunroof | Full Tint | Black Leather
    2017 TIGUAN 162 - Indium Grey | R-Line | DAP | Pano Roof | Full Tint - Ordered 30/3/17 Collected 23/11/17

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bendor View Post
    Anybody have any experience with Permagard which is used by Mercedes dealerships?

I have a good mate who can get me this for me at cost, but from what I have read elsewhere Opticoat > Permagard.

That said there also appears to be plenty of people who think the whole coating idea is a waste of money, but at cost price I'm tempted to give it a go this once.....then again I'm also tempted to maybe do the outside only in Opticoat if superior.

*sigh* I blame VW for making me wait so long allowing me all this time to agonize over petty things!
    Permagard is a silica based coating where as Opti-Coat is a ceramic polymer coating, two different things.

Hopefully a chemistry-based comparison as explained by Dr David Ghodoussi, founder of Optimum Polymer Technologies (yes his doctorate is in chemistry ) will help explain the differences.

"The argument is not about bond energy but rather how inert the bonds are (e.g. Sodium Chloride has a bond energy that is over three times Si-O bond, however, it readily breaks down and dissolves in water). Si-O bond is readily hydrolized in the presence of acids or alkali. Therefore, most cleaners whether they are alkaline or acidic as well as environmental contaminants that contain acids such as bird droppings, bug splatter, acid rain, etc. will break down silica based coatings. That is also why most silica based coatings require use of boosters or reapplication.

The Si-C bond however is not affected by acids or bases since there is no catalytic mechanism to break it down. Therefore, silicon carbide chemistry is not affected by the environmental contaminants. Furthermore, Si-O bonds are prone to degradation by the enzymes in bird dropping and bug splatter whereas Si-C is not.

The proof is seen everyday since with Opti-Coated cars (Si-C based chemistry), the protection is permanent and the bond does not hydrolize or break down with cleaners or environmental contaminants and the paint is not damaged over time. On the other hand, Silica based coatings will break down over time and have a much shorter life expectancy and either acidic or alkaline chemicals can penetrate and damage the paint underneath."
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Permagard is a silica based coating where as Opti-Coat is a ceramic polymer coating, two different things.

Hopefully a chemistry-based comparison as explained by Dr David Ghodoussi, founder of Optimum Polymer Technologies (yes his doctorate is in chemistry ) will help explain the differences.

"The argument is not about bond energy but rather how inert the bonds are (e.g. Sodium Chloride has a bond energy that is over three times Si-O bond, however, it readily breaks down and dissolves in water). Si-O bond is readily hydrolized in the presence of acids or alkali. Therefore, most cleaners whether they are alkaline or acidic as well as environmental contaminants that contain acids such as bird droppings, bug splatter, acid rain, etc. will break down silica based coatings. That is also why most silica based coatings require use of boosters or reapplication.

The Si-C bond however is not affected by acids or bases since there is no catalytic mechanism to break it down. Therefore, silicon carbide chemistry is not affected by the environmental contaminants. Furthermore, Si-O bonds are prone to degradation by the enzymes in bird dropping and bug splatter whereas Si-C is not.

The proof is seen everyday since with Opti-Coated cars (Si-C based chemistry), the protection is permanent and the bond does not hydrolize or break down with cleaners or environmental contaminants and the paint is not damaged over time. On the other hand, Silica based coatings will break down over time and have a much shorter life expectancy and either acidic or alkaline chemicals can penetrate and damage the paint underneath."
    Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer! So for those who TLR, Opticoat will last longer.

Any idea why Mercedes would recommend Permagard seeing as I believe they charge about the same as Opticoat, presumably they did a deal with a good margin? Supposedly it is what people put on Ferraris and what Virgin put on their planes...

Also I'm slightly concerned by people mentioning that Opticoat stopped beading water after only 6 months, is it still being protective even when that stops? Perhaps I should talk to Opticoat direct but obviously aware of their bias.
    2007 GOLF GTI - Reflex Silver | 5DR | DSG | Sunroof | Full Tint | Black Leather
    2017 TIGUAN 162 - Indium Grey | R-Line | DAP | Pano Roof | Full Tint - Ordered 30/3/17 Collected 23/11/17

Users Country Flag
    How about using a clear wrap or this ceramic coating by HOME
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI, Deep Black Pearl, R-Line, Sunroof, DAP | Ordered 6th Jan 17 | Delivered Nov 17

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bendor View Post
    Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer! So for those who TLR, Opticoat will last longer.

Any idea why Mercedes would recommend Permagard seeing as I believe they charge about the same as Opticoat, presumably they did a deal with a good margin? Supposedly it is what people put on Ferraris and what Virgin put on their planes...

Also I'm slightly concerned by people mentioning that Opticoat stopped beading water after only 6 months, is it still being protective even when that stops? Perhaps I should talk to Opticoat direct but obviously aware of their bias.
    Not sure their reasons for using Permagard. Slick marketing and sales pitch could be a factor.

If Opti-Coat (or any coating for that matter) stops beading it is usually contamination build up on the surface due to poor maintenence. This is where Opti-Coat comes into it's own, it can be chemically decontaminated without degradation to it's beading and sheeting properties. If Opti-Coat does fail due to poor application you are covered by warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by TIG162R View Post
    How about using a clear wrap or this ceramic coating by HOME
    Clear wraps are a whole new conversation, and will cost thousands. As for Gtechniq, it's in the SI-O camp.

Full disclosure: I have previously been employed by Opti-Coat but no longer have affiliation with any part of the company.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post

Full disclosure: I have previously been employed by Opti-Coat but no longer have affiliation with any part of the company.
    Are you recommending Opti-Coat?

How do you maintain Opti-Coat? Just washing and no wax needed? I'm using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash with the Chemical Guys Chenille Microfibre Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mit.

How to Wash, Wax, and Detail Your Car Like a Pro | The Wirecutter

Users Country Flag
    For those who have the highline and have tinted the front two windows, is there a noticeable difference with the tinge?

One friendly tint company has informed me that the tinted glass has a blue/green tinge whereas the window films have a charcoal appearance. I've tried googling for an image but cannot find any. I haven't received my car yet, but I've been told it would be at the end of this month!!!! I cannot wait any longer!

Is there a particular window film brand that you guys recommend?

The OCD in me wants to have a car that looks complete.

I never knew window tinting was so complicated

Looking at Rob from Hunters Hill website, seems so confusing! But he's so close to me so might consider him if someone can explain what a beginner needs to look for in tinting.

Users Country Flag
    so has anyone here tinted the sun-roof even though I have been told that it was already tinted from factory and that doing so will damage the glass? I am somewhat pessimistic about whether that thin piece of blind between the interior and the sunroof will provide enough protection long term from the sun here in WA. It may be an annoyance but I think I will just cover up the seats with water, bacteria, mold and UV resistant seat covers during summer and off road activities.

Users Country Flag

Check out pomponazzi treatment if your looking for a good quality glossy long lasting coating
    Tho my detailer did tell me if your going to have the car for 4 years then flip it don't bother not worth the cost!
    As mine is a long term 10+ year car and due to circumstances will be outside almost 24/7 and red which fades to me its worth the 2k cost which is btw what the vw dealer quoted for a coating through them i did some research could get the same coating for $350 what a rip off dealer crappy protection
    So there are plenty of coatings out there check em out
    On the forums i have a pomponazzi thread open
    Tho be aware that the opticoat fanbase/application suppliers
    Are vry aggressive in the forums to defend/promote thier product check around find out for yourself

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast