Thread: Foglight Globes

Users Country Flag

Foglight Globes

Not sure if they are that color for a reason but... with the nice LED headlights the fog lights well just look terrible imo.

What sort of bulb should I be looking to change them to so they somewhat look the same/more similar to the headlights?

Also then I haven’t acually got down to look but hoping it’s not an ordeal to swap out the globes too?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Not sure if they are that color for a reason but... with the nice LED headlights the fog lights well just look terrible imo.

What sort of bulb should I be looking to change them to so they somewhat look the same/more similar to the headlights?

Also then I haven’t acually got down to look but hoping it’s not an ordeal to swap out the globes too?
    They’re H8’s if that helps. i ordered some PIAA from power bulbs. 3900k - but too warm in colour. I reckon they’re gonna need to be closer to 6000k to be the right colour. Powerbulbs do a 6000k led unit but I can’t justify 190 bucks on them yet - I’ve got other stuff on my list first.

removal of the lamp is covered in the owners manual. It’s easy enough, but you will hear some decent noises because of the strong clips

hope that info helps - if you have any luck I’d be keen to know which way you ended up going.
    Cheers

Foglight Globes

Back in the day, all fog lights used to be coloured yellow, as that is the best colour for cutting through fog. I’d suggest that is why they are the colour they are.

If you’re actually using them for their intended purpose, ie in fog, then leave them alone.
    Last edited by tigger73; 24-04-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Users Country Flag

Foglight Globes

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Back in the day, all fog lights used to be coloured yellow, as that is the best colour for cutting through fog. I’d suggest that is why they are the colour they are.

If you’re actually using them for their intended purpose, ie in fog, then leave them alone.

How about the fact that fog lights on some led headlight equipped vw’s (such as mine for example) illuminate automatically when cornering, when reverse gear is selected etc. perhaps it’s just a case of some of us wanting the lamps to look a similar colour.
    Last edited by tigger73; 24-04-2018 at 01:38 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I have never found anyone’s fog lights or driving lights a hinderance ever, I actually think the more visibility you have the better to be honest whether it be from fog lights or not. Come to think of it I can’t even remember the last time when I’ve seen fog lights mis aligned so they are actually annoying to me as an oncoming car.

What I find way more obtrusive and what I deem more annoying are every third cars single misnaligned headlight when they are driving either behind you or coming towards you.

As far as I’m concerned it should be mandatory to have a headlight alignment check as part of the registration being renewed for every car however I understand it would be a nightmare to administer. Certainly would remove all these cars on the roads with their cross eyed headlights which seem far more illegal and dangerous to me than those with their driving and fog lights on.

I can appreciate how lights can become annoying when say the suspension of the car has been changed so that the cars headlights are aiming more up than down though, In that circumstance it’s distracting.
    Last edited by smarty; 24-04-2018 at 12:19 AM.