Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Service - tips?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BenT View Post
    What do you mean by attitude? If you take your car to a dealership and they return it with the exhaust not bolted on properly, and a bolt missing plus the brakes cable tied to the suspension, should you ever trust them again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    your experiences differ to mine. And attitude? Exactly what I said. A good attitude often gets a better result than a poor one. But I’m sure you’re young enough to know all that so don’t need to hear it from me.

you started off spouting off about not trusting dealers. I said that may be the case with yours, not mine. Then off you went with your stories (which I’m sure describe the sum total of that shops work) and here we are.
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvo1 View Post
    They will not upgrade the maps and they want to charge you $476 dollars to do so.
    Service department Forman told me it's free. Who told you it ain't!?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvo1 View Post

In terms of servicing, it should be capped and be around the $426 mark.
    On our Polo, I've always gotten a discount when I asked. Not a big one but I've never capped paid full price for a service. Same with when I had an Audi, they quote $XXX and I talk to them and it comes down.

We all know dealer prices are inflated, i suspect they know too and are quick to give a discount to keep you coming back.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    your experiences differ to mine. And attitude? Exactly what I said. A good attitude often gets a better result than a poor one. But I’m sure you’re young enough to know all that so don’t need to hear it from me.

you started off spouting off about not trusting dealers. I said that may be the case with yours, not mine. Then off you went with your stories (which I’m sure describe the sum total of that shops work) and here we are.
    In the case I described this was of the issues detected by my mechanic after VW South Yarra had my car for over 2 months to find the cause of a rough idle. Every week they told me the needed to keep it longer to keep investigating I was patient and polite.

You have made a very quick judgement based on a statement of my opinion about dealer reliability. I tried to then give some evidence to support that opinion get you’re still convinced you know precisely how I have spoken to the dealers.

So let’s drop the bull**** and get back to being two blokes with many years of experience dealing with dealers and mechanics and not be jerks. We’re here to help each other... well I’m on a new owners forum to try to help others anyway.

Ben - licensed since 1995.

VW ownership
    2005 Golf TSI (bought new)
    2006 Golf GTI (bought new)
    2013 Golf GTI
    2014 Polo GTI
    2015 Polo GTI (current)
    2018 Golf GTI Original (current)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Hmm, statutory warranty is all you need. I’ve sent plenty of my customers after their factory warranty expired and they had 0 problems to get their car repaired.
    Yup this

Tbh i have had exactly zero issues with any of the 5 golfs/polos in my family have owned and run them since 2009 i know they get bad press in forums but you never get people who have no issues with their car posting it,s the enthusiasts and the ones who do have issues who post which skews the forums

But if i do have a problem out of warranty i will for sure at least ask for a goodwill gesture as the saying goes if you don't ask you don't gets
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Hmm, statutory warranty is all you need. I’ve sent plenty of my customers after their factory warranty expired and they had 0 problems to get their car repaired.
    Not the point I was making.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Yup this

But if i do have a problem out of warranty i will for sure at least ask for a goodwill gesture as the saying goes if you don't ask you don't gets
    ...and the goodwill gesture is always there, even when the car never saw inside the dealership workshop. Just say the word “it’s not unreasonable to expect that the component shouldn’t fail so soon after the warranty”
    The consumer law is on your side as long as you didn’t neglect or abused your car.

Users Country Flag
    Doubt I will be taking my Tig to VW for any service when I have friends with workshops that work on Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, Merc that can do a better job for cheaper.

Used to take my MK6 R to VW for the first few years service, friends workshop ordered OEM oil filter for my car from VW once they started servicing it, they sent a VW OEM to them. On removing the oil filter VW put in my car from the previous service we found it was a generic filter, not the same as the VW OEM filter they supply when you order and pay a premium.

Checking the receipt from the VW service, invoice said it was an VW OEM oil filter to which they charged the same but installed some generic oil filter. I contacted the VW dealer and sent them pictures of the apparent OEM filter they had installed. After a long wait they replied saying that the filters they use in house have no markings on them and that's why it appeared different... I call BS on this...

Realistically how do you know what parts a dealer is using in your car, the receipt might say one thing but what they actually use could be totally different!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Doubt I will be taking my Tig to VW for any service when I have friends with workshops that work on Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, Merc that can do a better job for cheaper.
    Can anyone recommend mechanics in VIC that will do the book servicing (stamp service book warranty), take care in their work and do a great job ?

Users Country Flag

German Auto Tech in Hallam is my friends shop that can do it. He owns a bunch of porsches, ferraris, jags, mercs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123