Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSG and how to get the best of it

DSG and how to get the best of it

Ok this is a real noob question.
    As i previously stated i come from a lifetime of driving Japanese products and have no idea what to expect from a modern German car.
    My brief test drive and the gorgeous looks of the 162tsi R LINE convinced me that i need one in my driveway.

As i am patiently waiting for delivery i troll the forum trying to learn as much as possible from those who know.
    The question as the title states is how would one drive a DSG equipped vehicle and get the best of it without causing any long-term issues if any .
    I read paddle shifters ,semi auto stick shifts etc.Some reviews talk about the DSG been jerky ,elastic ,eratic
    Whatever!!!!!!!

Please laugh at my expence if you must DSG and how to get the best of it but shed some light over my helpless uneducated soul.
    Thanking you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    My advice would be to treat it like you would a manual, so no crawling in traffic. Other than that just drive it and enjoy it and try not to overthink it, just like any other car you're going to get use to it's idiosyncrasies pretty quickly

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R1911 View Post
    My advice would be to treat it like you would a manual, so no crawling in traffic. Other than that just drive it and enjoy it and try not to overthink it, just like any other car you're going to get use to it's idiosyncrasies pretty quickly
    +1 what he said DSG and how to get the best of it

MY15 Polo GTI - Red - DA Pack
    Harry
    MY15 RED Polo GTI 6C - with DA Pack

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post

Please laugh at my expence if you must, but shed some light over my helpless uneducated soul.

Definitely not laughing! Try this...

How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
    MY14 M-B A200CDI

The question as the title states is how would one drive a DSG equipped vehicle and get the best of it without causing any long-term issues if any
    It's really not a bad question. I've had an S3 for a while and there are a couple fo things you need to think about:
    1) do you want to shift gears yourself or do you want the car to do it for you. If you want to shift manually then there are a few fundamentals. If you want the car to do it for you then you're pretty much stuck with regular and sports mode I assume...if you're lucky Maybe it only has one mode. Now I never drive mine in automatic unless I'm eating, need to hold something with one hand or otherwise absolutely MUST have the car do it. This brings us to....

2) Shifting manually....this is a bit more involved than you might initially think. There was a really good post somewhere on it but, in a nut shell, the DSG has gears 1,3,5 and 7 on one side and 2,4,6 on the other. So if you're in 1st then 2nd is already pre-selected and the shift will be almost instant. When you're in 2nd (and others except for 7th, of course) the DSG needs to work out what you will want next. There is a bit of a learning process for the driver on how to handle the throttle and brakes in different situations to get the DSG to understand what you are going to want next. When the DSG gets it wrong then you will have an unpleasant second or so where it changes the gear it THOUGHT you were going to need to the gear you ACTUALLY asked for....feels almost a bit like the engine stalls but it's completely harmless

There are a few more oddities, I assume they're the same across all DSGs but mine has APR DSG software on it so fortunately I do not have to put up with them. I also heard that the 7 speed DSG was less 'annoying' in that respect.

Hope this helps

Haven't spent much time in my wife's Tiguan, but my A6 has a similar 7 speed DSG. I've. I've been driving it for four years.

With it, I found the Drive setting to select much higher gears than I liked and Sport went with too lower gear. For example, at 70 km/h drive would select 6th gear, whereas Sport would select 4th at the same speed.

I also found that, in normal city driving, the high gears Drive had selected meant that you were faced with a delay while the DSG fluffed about downshifting whenever you needed to give it a squirt.

This is the first "auto" I've owned in over 30 years of driving so it's not a situation I'd ever had to cope with before. It so annoyed me I started driving it in manual. Now I rarely ever use any of the auto modes. I'm always in the right gear and I find it far more controllable and enjoyable.

Something to note though. If you're accelerating, or even cruising at a constant speed, in say 5th, the DSG will preselect 6th as the next gear it expects you to use. If you decide you actually want to drop down to 4th to accelerate the DSG will throw its toys out of the cot. You'll be faced with a delay while the electronics sort out the downshift. The trick is to lift off the throttle for an instant before you hit the downshift paddle. That tells the DSG what you're planning and you get an instant downshift as a result.

Another thing they don't like is tootling along in traffic. As it's essentially an automated manual. Continual start/stopping uses computerised slipping of the clutch pack. Time will tell how long the clutch pack will last.

In a similar issue, we have a very steep driveway. In drive the DSG starts in 1st and almost instantly selects 2nd. It then slips the clutch in second all the way up the driveway. Can't be good for it. It's something you'd never do if you were driving a manual. My suggestion, even my wife understands, is to drive up the steep slope in manual mode. That way it forces the DSG to stay in 1st and minimises the clutch slippage.

My 1.1 cents wort plus tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IsDon; 25-05-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Thank you all for the replies /explanations.
    So in a nutshell the DSG is a 2 year old that likes to do whatever it wants and when things don't go the way it thought would be it throws tantrums .
    Yep got it DSG and how to get the best of it
    I should employ the ancient methods of beating it with a stick / paddles and get it to behave .
    Simples .

Looking forward to it !!!!

Thanks again .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    With 3 female drivers in my family, none have any gripes with the DSG. So, I believe if you drive just normally, you should have no problems and your DSG will be fine.

If you want to shift the gears manually almost 100% of the time, then perhaps you should get the car with the manual gearbox instead. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    With 3 female drivers in my family, none have any gripes with the DSG. So, I believe if you drive just normally, you should have no problems and your DSG will be fine.

If you want to shift the gears manually almost 100% of the time, then perhaps you should get the car with the manual gearbox instead. I would.
    I would not. Much slower, you generally lose boost on shift and, on the Golf R and S3 at least, you could be faced with clutch slip should you chose to tune the car.

Thank you all for the replies /explanations.
    So in a nutshell the DSG is a 2 year old that likes to do whatever it wants and when things don't go the way it thought would be it throws tantrums
    No, it's actually really good and far superior to manual gearboxes and FAR, FAR superior to traditional Auto gearboxes. You just need to know how to handle it and what to expect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast