Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dashcam for Tiguan

Users Country Flag

You need specific batteries which when I get time I will post the model numbers for
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Wife's Tig is with her at work so can't photograph it at present.

You don't actually have to interfere with the airbags whatsoever. The camera comes with a trim removal tool, but you only use it to poke the cables into the gap between the roof trim and the windscreen and then the same gap down the A pillar. It's dead easy.

Another thing I recommend is to buy a roll of black double sided tape. The cable clips that come with the camera have light grey double sided tape which is quite obvious from outside the car. Black tape effectively makes the clips invisible.

Another suggestion is a add-a-fuse from Jaycar. This will enable you to power the camera through an existing circuit on the fuse box without having to solder or cut wires.
    Good tips. Thanks mate.

Yep, I don’t think my Dad or Grandad ever hired a tradie for anything. The old man would even stitch us kids up to save a trip to the doc. Both left school at 15 with basic STEM and the 3Rs (Reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic). He can still recite log tables and 16 times tables. Political correctness escapes them both... and they don’t care.

Users Country Flag
    When you fit the wiring down the A pillar it is best to run it forward along the gap between the dash end and the pillar trim then up the front of the trim beside the screen. Using the body tool you can just run it in behind the pillar trim easily. Reason is if you dont do it this way and the side airbag goes off it will blow the A pillar trim and the camera into your face Do the same along the front of the roof trim. Except on the Polo which had the edge glued down so used blutack to hold it against the front of roof trim Cant even see it if done neatly

Last tip (dont ask how i found out) is start at the camera and work back to the dash Then you can tuck the extra cable away out of sight. For the rear I ran cable along between the sill trims and the carpet then behind side trim behind rear seat and finally up under the tailgate seal and out to the camera as in the photo. Second cable is for the GPS which is mounted on left side window.

The good old edumacation. I rarely need a calculator, have worked as a builder , Telecom technician, computer fixer, part time mechanic, mens hairdresser, house renovator, Taxi & bus driver (Worst jobs ever) Jet boat driver, Tourist guide in Fiordland in NZ, restored old telephones and manual exchanges and modified games machines. Thats about all LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 08-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by spacemannz View Post
    Good tips. Thanks mate.

Yep, I don’t think my Dad or Grandad ever hired a tradie for anything. The old man would even stitch us kids up to save a trip to the doc. Both left school at 15 with basic STEM and the 3Rs (Reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic). He can still recite log tables and 16 times tables. Political correctness escapes them both... and they don’t care.
    I think I'd like your Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    Wife's Tig is with her at work so can't photograph it at present.
    Thanks for the advice - any chance you can please post some pics of your install?
    Last edited by DigitalCourt; 08-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCourt View Post
    Thanks for the advice - any chance you a please post some pics of your install?
    Sure. Tomorrow afternoon. Can’t get her out of the car.

Dashcam for Tiguan

As promised.

First, from outside looking in. Notice the black double sided tape for the cable clips. Much better than the standard grey. The cable is routed to the passenger side as that's where the fuse box is on the Tiguan and it made for an easier install.

Next is the view from the driver's seat. The camera is virtually hidden by the mirror. Make sure you check that you can still adjust the mirror to the desired setting for all expected drivers and seat positions. The black box above the camera at the top of the windscreen is the etag also cleverly painted black rather than the standard light grey.

Seriously, who has grey interior these days? The last one I remember was my dad's EH Holden.

Next is the rear camera. Photo taken with the boot open. Notice the cable is run behind the boot trim and then through the existing rubber conduit into the vehicle proper.

Last photo is the Celllink battery on the floor under the front passenger seat. It's attached to the floor carpet with Velcro. Never moved. The wiring runs adjacent to the existing wiring for the seat heater and then under the front passenger scuff plate into the area behind the panel adjacent to the front passenger footwell.

Last edited by IsDon; 09-11-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks IsDon. Great tips and narrative.
    I’m seriously considering duplicating your setup. Not cheap but goes a long way to offset insurance excess.... had some douche reverse into my last car in a car park and drive off leaving me with a smashed grille. The same week I was trying to sell it as immaculate. Dash cam with battery would’ve given me a licence plate to pass onto insurers/police, for sure.

Btw, nice idea painting the e-tag. I think UK Tigs have a smart card slot next to SD slot in glovebox for tolls. Presumably a transponder is integrated into the sensor array above the rear view mirror. Nice.

Thanks IsDon

How did you get through the rubber conduit in the rear?
    Did you have to take trim off?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCourt View Post
    Thanks IsDon

How did you get through the rubber conduit in the rear?
    Did you have to take trim off?
    The Grommet at each end of the conduit just pull away from the bodywork, and then push back in. Used a bit of wire to pull the cable through to where the camera is mounted. It's pretty obvious once you pull out the conduit.

I don't think I had to pull the trim off from memory, just fed it through with some stiff wire, coat hanger would do.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast