Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Blues

Users Country Flag

Battery Blues

Hi all, I've made a number of modifications via obdeleven to my MY17 Tig and I've now had the battery die overnight twice.

Each time the car has been powered down normally, however both times I've noticed that the AID has remained on after powering off and locking the doors. It has just been displayed the normal end-of-trip data, and turned off after 30~ seconds. However I am concerned that all the systems in the vehicle are not turning off and they are invisibly draining power. Is there some way I can determine this, either via in car systems or via obdeleven?

Worthwhile listing what mods you've done.
    I checked my car, AID turns off after 30s following locking.

How do you do your tweaks? With ignition on or with the car/engine running?
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag
    arnifix: What mods have you done to the car? Can you post-up a copy of your history file? If you don't know how to generate a history fle, follow my instructions below.

Send yourself an email copy of the history records - then paste a version here (use the "code" tags to make sure that the file doesn't take-over the entire thread).

Don

Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by arnifix View Post
    Hi all, I've made a number of modifications via obdeleven to my MY17 Tig and I've now had the battery die overnight twice.
    Did you forget the obdeleven dongle plugged in? I made the same mistake before!
    2017 Tiguan Highline 162TSI DAP, Sunroof, Black
    2018 Golf Comfortline 110TSI DAP, Infotainment, Silver

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    I've always left it plugged in before, but only in the past week have I had flat batteries. Is it known to drain power? That's what I'm really looking to confirm.

Will generate a history and post it a bit later on, as I have done many mods at this point.

Users Country Flag
    Is it known to drain power?
    I don't know. But it drained my battery within 3 days.

P.S. VW roadside assistance came and replaced the battery with an AGM battery. I was surprised that the factory fitted battery wasn't AGM.
    Last edited by sharp; 08-09-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    2017 Tiguan Highline 162TSI DAP, Sunroof, Black
    2018 Golf Comfortline 110TSI DAP, Infotainment, Silver

Users Country Flag
    I've always left it plugged in before, but only in the past week have I had flat batteries. Is it known to drain power? That's what I'm really looking to confirm.

Will generate a history and post it a bit later on, as I have done many mods at this point.
    arnifix: OK - no need for history file. The cause is leaving the dongle connected in the car. It really depends on what state that you leave the OBD11 dongle when you walk away from the car. If it's still "connected" (i.e. via the "connect" screen on your Andriod tablet/mobile phone), the dongle keeps communicating with the module that OBD11 calls "Gateway" (and VCDS calls "CAN Gateway"). It's the module @ address hex19 and it's job is to interrogate the other modules and to manage the flow of information over the various CAN buses.

The continuous dialogue between the OBD11 dongle and the Gateway stops the other modules in your car from sleeping. This in turn keeps all the various sensors, measurement circuits and diagnostic electronics from also sleeping - the result is lots of electrical current drain from the battery, when the alternator isn't replacing lost amps.

Just remove the OBD11 dongle and problem fixed!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    Sharp - good call!
    Last edited by DV52; 08-09-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    The cause is leaving the dongle connected in the car. It really depends on what state that you leave the OBD11 dongle when you walk away from the car. If it's still "connected" (i.e. via the "connect" screen on your Andriod tablet/mobile phone), the dongle keeps communicating with the module that OBD11 calls "Gateway" (and VCDS calls "CAN Gateway"). It's the module @ address hex19 and it's job is to interrogate the other modules and to manage the flow of information over the various CAN buses.

The continuous dialogue between the OBD11 dongle and the Gateway stops the other modules in your car from sleeping. This in turn keeps all the various sensors, measurement circuits and diagnostic electronics from also sleeping - the result is lots of electrical current drain from the battery, when the alternator isn't replacing lost amps.
    Good to know, thanks Don!
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Since removing the obdeleven dongle I've had no problems. Thanks team!

Users Country Flag

My battery has died overnight as well, no OBDEleven dongle left in though. Volkswagen Roadside Service was here in 20 mins, declaring the battery toast and replaced it with an AGM battery which he assured me was a nice upgrade. Hopefully there wasn't anything else draining it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast