Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Engine Start/Stop

The braking method that defeats it is the correct way to brake any car and is taught by or used to be taught by the best instructors. I used to teach advanced road craft and competition track driving and it was the first thing we drummed into the students for road driving. I understand that very few people get taught driving properly and I bet none of the L plate schools teach it either. The plus side is that the passengers do not feel the vehicle jerk to a stop and have a far easier ride. Don't knock what you haven't tried. BTW track driving is the exact opposite, jump on the pedal and try and bend it then modulate to avoid lock up.

I dispute the SS causing problems in traffic and my experience is drawn from three different drivers, two of them used to compete and using two different cars over at least 60,000k. I think that if you know that the system is unreliable you should allow for it in your driving and not expect the car to come to you but as I have said before my experience is that there is no delay and that is from more than one driver in two cars. I used to drive Ford Transits with auto and they had delay deliberately programmed into them so the drivers had to adjust to the delay, this was a deliberate ploy from Ford to eliminate abuse of the transmission and it is curious how anyone who drove one quickly came to the conclusion that they had to adapt or die.

My further observation is that without exception every one of us thinks we are perfect drivers, I have never met anyone who thinks otherwise until shown they are not, self included. I have sat beside drivers that amazed me how good they were over many hours and wished I could emulate them but it is never going to happen. Sorry to go off topic and rant over, subscription ended as there does not seem to be any point looking at this thread any longer.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Ozsko, and each to his own, but I, like most people, do not buy vehicles to to drive them to suit the vehicle’s needs.

I buy them to drive them to suit my needs.

Hi Don and thank you very VERY much for the info you put up in the link to your other thread.

I had contemplated the VCDS route but I am testing some equipment and will occasionally actually need to have the STOP/START operating so I can compere the results under different operations.

To this end I had already started to design an electronically activated over-ride for the STOP/START switch, using the same type of mini reed switch, and your post has just made my job so much easier and quicker.

Again Don, thank you very much for taking the time to post up that thread.

Users Country Flag
    If you don't use the brake hold, the engine starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake. I've never been caught out in about 6,000 k's of driving, admittedly mostly medium traffic.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    You don't need to turn it off, just brake fairly softly and it does not work and so it won't annoy you. I must admit the angst this causes amuses me somewhat but each to his own. I have never had it cause any delays on take off, nail the throttle to the floor and it just leaps off the mark.
    This a really bad thing to do with dual clutch gearbox. Don't creep forward in traffic. Remain stationary and let a gap appear in front of you and the go forward. Yes, someone might jump onto the gap but I am only talking about the gearbox. Creeping forward place strain on a DCT with clutch slip the same with a manual.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by drivesafe View Post

Hi Don and thank you very VERY much for the info you put up in the link to your other thread.

I had contemplated the VCDS route but I am testing some equipment and will occasionally actually need to have the STOP/START operating so I can compere the results under different operations.

To this end I had already started to design an electronically activated over-ride for the STOP/START switch, using the same type of mini reed switch, and your post has just made my job so much easier and quicker.

Again Don, thank you very much for taking the time to post up that thread.
    Drivesafe: I'm intrigued by your project and I hope that it's a generational improvement on my amateur effort!

Not sure if you are into programming Arduino chips, but an embellishment to the third incarnation of my Auto SS kill switch is to include a facility to shut-down the device entirely by holding down the SS console button for 5 seconds on ignition switch-on. This is useful when taking the car to the dealer for maintenance (I have to repeatedly explain to the dealer service manager at every service that SS disabling is not a fault - regardless of VW's continuing belief that it's not possible to automatically disable SS)

The code shouldn't be difficult - just a matter of sensing the console SS button at ignition switch -on. The newer version of the Digispark chip now contains an EEPROM, so this is an ideal application - the maintenance state can be toggled ON and remain in that condition until the console button is held down again for 5 seconds (after maintenance has been completed) - thereby re-energizing the auto SS kill switch.

Anyhow - just a suggestion for you to consider and I hope that you will include details of your device here

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 30-06-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag

Hi again Don and once again, thank you very much for that great writeup.

You answered some questions for me that I would have had to experiment to see if my theory worked.

No need for that now thanks to you excellent thread.

I actually write my own code and will be using a small 8 pin industrial micro for the job. This will dramatically reduce the component count and the overall size.

Once tested, I will then encapsulate the module in electrical grade epoxy resin.

You have both confirmed that it works and made my job so much easier.

Again, thanks.

PS, that's interesting what you posted about telling the dealership it does not have a problem.

I have 10k clocked up already so will be in for it's first service shortly, so I will see how they react.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12