Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Accessories

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dmn View Post
    Totally agree...I remember when I fitted towbars to the 1982-86 Ford Falcons we had to do this (showing my age here) so here we are in 2016 (30 years on) and we are still having to do this. It will be great until somebody does the cut incorrectly and it just doesn't look right.
    hence why I'd rather get a factory fitted one (albeit having to drop the trousers and bend over the barrel for the privilege) than the risks of getting someone to cut/fit one later

Oh and whilst on the subject of towbars, I too would prefer the swivelly thing plus trailer assist which we don't get too

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizzypom View Post
    hence why I'd rather get a factory fitted one (albeit having to drop the trousers and bend over the barrel for the privilege) than the risks of getting someone to cut/fit one later

Oh and whilst on the subject of towbars, I too would prefer the swivelly thing plus trailer assist which we don't get too
    Apparently the genuine factory towbars don't meet our ADR's for whatever reason. I have the Gen1 tiguan (have the 162 r-line on order) and I remember when I wanted a towbar fitted when its was new it rattled away on its maiden voyage home (tongue was loose) and then I had no boot light, well, you can guess that one, and then, finally, none of the lights worked when the trailer was hooked up (wasn't wired correctly) and it took them nearly 2 years to fix these 3 issues, so no towbar for the new kid on the block as I don't want to relive that experience so will borrow a friends for those 3 trips to the tip each year

Factory fitted accessories should have 3 year warranty as does the car. But $1800 or so for a towbar is a joke. These cost $500-700 so with labour $1000 is reasonable IMO.

Anyone know what the ball weight for the tow bar is?

Thought I read somewhere it was 100kg?

Users Country Flag
    So we don't get trailer assist here? Dammit. I'm sure the sales guy mentioned it was available. Also the towbar would have to support 250KG ball weight to claim 2500KG towing capacity, right? - otherwise it's false advertising?

On another topic - how does the GoPro integration work? Can I connect a GoPro to the back of my caravan and use it's camera to reverse?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    Last edited by shanelord; 05-11-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    So we don't get trailer assist here? Dammit. I'm sure the sales guy mentioned it was available. Also the towbar would have to support 250KG ball weight to claim 2500KG towing capacity, right? - otherwise it's false advertising?

On another topic - how does the GoPro integration work? Can I connect a GoPro to the back of my caravan and use it's camera to reverse?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    I always believed this was an option Australia never got. Would be nice if we do get trailer assist - maybe someone who has already picked their tiggy up can confirm if this is actually fitted/functional? From the VW glossary:

Manoeuvring with a trailer can become a test of patience for the uninitiated, for the combination does not always respond as you might expect; occasionally the trajectory being followed is reversed in the mirror. The steering angle is decisive for precise reversing: the optional Trailer Assist assumes the steering function. The driver simply needs to select reverse, press the Park Assist button and use the mirror adjustment button to enter the direction that the trailer should follow. The vehicle now steers automatically. However, the driver is still responsible for gearshifting, acceleration and braking.

Going by the OSV review it looks like it is only available with the swivelling towbar that we don't get. Refer the following video from 40:20

Volkswagen Tiguan Video Review 2016 - YouTube

Regards the GoPro, refer the video from 37m 28s

Finally, I agree the towing figures are misleading to say the least. The only way round this would be to use a towing distribution hitch which again IIRC cannot be used - or load you 2500kg caravan to only have 100kg on the towball (yeah right!).
    Last edited by Brizzypom; 05-11-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added video link

Users Country Flag
    Looks like Westfalia Australia have their A40V available for the previous generation Tiguan with a 200KG ball weight. I've used them previously on my Audi Q7 and they are awesome.

Product-EVTowbars

I've reached out to see if they have one coming for the new gen 2 Tiguan as this may be the answer.

Regards,
    Shane.

Users Country Flag
    I've requested pricing for accessories, no response. However, you can find them on VW USA site. They are obviously in US dollars but it will give you a starting point and perhaps some ammunition if/when VW Aus quote something outrageous.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by veew View Post
    Anyone know what the ball weight for the tow bar is?
    It will tell you in your cars manual in the section about towing.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast