Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACC and TJA - Quirks or Features

Users Country Flag

All right.. I have had my MY18 Tiguan Highline (DAP+ RLine) for over 2 months now. Absolute joy to drive and very happy with it... with one exception.
    The cruise control+ TJA ....
    On highways when vehicles slow down and roll forward, it works like a treat and I use it all the time.
    But on normal roads (Speed limits 60 or 70) with traffic signals is where I am seeing some weird behaviour (I do not think TJA is built for this scenario, but want to check if others have similar issues).
    Lets say I am rolling (ACC Active) on at 60KPH on the road and a about 400mts down there is a signal and there is a single car there. No cars are there between mine and the one at the signal. The car at the signal is at a completed stop.
    Now... as my car nears it I find that:
    a) The car does not slow down and down right does not register the existence of the car at the signal.
    b) When I apply the brakes and come to a complete stop and re-engage the ACC, it immediately recognizes the car in front of me
    c) This is never the case for a car moving at say 40 KPH and coming to a stop in front of me.

Am I missing something here? Isn't the radar always looking when ACC is active?

@Moderators - Please let me know if this is not the right post for the query.

Users Country Flag
    When I test drove mine the dealer said that it did not work for stationary cars. If you let it go the emergency breaking system would kick in (wouldn't be pleasant!) so sounds like what you are experiencing is normal.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by subbi View Post
    All right.. I have had my MY18 Tiguan Highline (DAP+ RLine) for over 2 months now. Absolute joy to drive and very happy with it... with one exception.
    The cruise control+ TJA ....
    On highways when vehicles slow down and roll forward, it works like a treat and I use it all the time.
    But on normal roads (Speed limits 60 or 70) with traffic signals is where I am seeing some weird behaviour (I do not think TJA is built for this scenario, but want to check if others have similar issues).
    Lets say I am rolling (ACC Active) on at 60KPH on the road and a about 400mts down there is a signal and there is a single car there. No cars are there between mine and the one at the signal. The car at the signal is at a completed stop.
    Now... as my car nears it I find that:
    a) The car does not slow down and down right does not register the existence of the car at the signal.
    b) When I apply the brakes and come to a complete stop and re-engage the ACC, it immediately recognizes the car in front of me
    c) This is never the case for a car moving at say 40 KPH and coming to a stop in front of me.

Am I missing something here? Isn't the radar always looking when ACC is active?

@Moderators - Please let me know if this is not the right post for the query.
    subbi

What you described at a) is exactly what I am experiencing and is very disconcerting. I had a MY17 before my current MY18 and don’t believe it exhibited this, so perhaps a software issue in MY18.
    Also noticed when cars pass you slowly in the right hand lane with ACC activated, the car automatically slows by 2-3kms until the car is a certain distance in front irrespective of whether it merges into your lane or not, before resuming your set speed, I guess as a defensive mechanism, but IMO not that useful.
    MY18Tiguan 162STI, Rline, DAP, T/B, Tungsten

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    subbi

What you described at a) is exactly what I am experiencing and is very disconcerting. I had a MY17 before my current MY18 and don’t believe it exhibited this, so perhaps a software issue in MY18.
    Also noticed when cars pass you slowly in the right hand lane with ACC activated, the car automatically slows by 2-3kms until the car is a certain distance in front irrespective of whether it merges into your lane or not, before resuming your set speed, I guess as a defensive mechanism, but IMO not that useful.
    Oh.. I almost forgot the strange ACC suddenly slowing down for vehicles on the right. Got pissed on the M1. I was on the 4th lane doing 110. Some idiot in the third lane was going merrily at 100 odd.No one in front of me and what do I see.. the car slows down to 100 odd for no reason. had to press the accelerator and pass in order for ACC to start looking straight and not to the right.
    As regards the original post, I agree it is disconcerting. There is no reason why the car can detect another one moving at 20 KPH, but not one which is stationary. There has to be some reasoning.

First off the Tiguan is not an autonomous car and was never sold as such. These are driver aids and designed to assist you in driving the car and not drive it for you.

In regards to the stationary object I am certain the system has recognised the object. It however thinks you’re either going to stop or manoeuvre around the object rather than run right into it.

So it is waiting for your input as to what you’re going to do.

If you don’t decide and just drive straight ahead it will emergency brake to avoid hitting the object (car) but this is only because you have not steered or braked yourself.

So I see the system is working as it should as a driver aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    First off the Tiguan is not an autonomous car and was never sold as such. These are driver aids and designed to assist you in driving the car and not drive it for you.

In regards to the stationary object I am certain the system has recognised the object. It however thinks you’re either going to stop or manoeuvre around the object rather than run right into it.

If you don’t decide and just drive straight ahead it will emergency brake to avoid hitting the object (car) but this is only because you have not steered or braked yourself.

+1. At all times you are the driver in control and should be prepared to override the systems whether by using the accelerator, brakes or just disengaging it.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Quote Originally Posted by subbi View Post
    Oh.. I almost forgot the strange ACC suddenly slowing down for vehicles on the right. Got pissed on the M1. I was on the 4th lane doing 110. Some idiot in the third lane was going merrily at 100 odd.No one in front of me and what do I see.. the car slows down to 100 odd for no reason. had to press the accelerator and pass in order for ACC to start looking straight and not to the right.
    As regards the original post, I agree it is disconcerting. There is no reason why the car can detect another one moving at 20 KPH, but not one which is stationary. There has to be some reasoning.
    In some European countries it is illegal to use the slower lane to overtake cars in the faster lanes.
    Maybe it is deliberately slowing you down for this reason.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    In some European countries it is illegal to use the slower lane to overtake cars in the faster lanes.
    Maybe it is deliberately slowing you down for this reason.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Agree it is illegal, but I was actually always keeping myself in the 4th lane. The guy in the 3rd lane was going slow.. he really should have been in the 4th lane. So it is a bit irritating.
    But yes, I do see your point about the vehicle thinking that I was doing the wrong thing

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post

Incorrect, as far as I am aware we are at Level 1: Driver Assistance Required Car Autonomy Levels Explained - The Drive

But yes, you always need to keep control of these aids...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

I've had ACC on my previous car and it was great, though did tend to grab on the brakes when someone pulled off in front of you.

Each of these systems have their own little nuances and you have to end up learning to adapt your driving/when to over-ride them as to how they operate. They will improve and get better so that they are less intrusive and more intuitive over time.

If there are updates to the software and you take your car to the dealer for servicing you will get the updates. This is one thing that you miss out on if you get your car serviced at an independent workshop. If there's updates to the ACC you'll have to take it back to the dealer to get these.

More than likely unless it's safety related the software in the car you have now is what it's going to be like so best to work out the quirks and adapt your driving to work with it. Yes sometimes you may have to move your foot and tap the brake/accelerator or take it off cruise.
    Last edited by tigger73; 17-01-2018 at 06:04 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast