Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 95 or 98 petrol - what do you use?

Users Country Flag

Make yourself a spreadsheet. Run a few tanks of 95, recording how far you went and how much you used. Then run a few tanks of 98, doing the same. You can then compare the results.

I did that with a Holden V8 (2 actually) and found it preferred Shell 98.

Started with the Shell in the Jetta, but found it preferred Vortex 95.

Thew way I see it is the fuel that provides the best economy over an extended period has to be burning efficiently.

BTW, both the Holden and VW dealers were adamant I stay away from cheap fuel chains and stick to Shell/ Caltex/ BP. (We don't have Mobil in SA anymore)
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag
    95 is the standard fuel in Europe. On a 132TSI engine, 95 is the required fuel - anything higher than that is optional.
    Cheers

The computer and anti knock systems will pull timing out to prevent detonation, that is what they are there for. The latest Tiguan does not specify 98 at all on the fuel cap, the only specification is a minimum of 95, I just went and had a look at mine to confirm that.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    The computer and anti knock systems will pull timing out to prevent detonation, that is what they are there for. The latest Tiguan does not specify 98 at all on the fuel cap, the only specification is a minimum of 95, I just went and had a look at mine to confirm that.
    Yeah that suggests to me the engine is tuned for 95 and using 98 is unnecessary.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
    Make yourself a spreadsheet. Run a few tanks of 95, recording how far you went and how much you used. Then run a few tanks of 98, doing the same. You can then compare the results.

I did that with a Holden V8 (2 actually) and found it preferred Shell 98.

Started with the Shell in the Jetta, but found it preferred Vortex 95.

Thew way I see it is the fuel that provides the best economy over an extended period has to be burning efficiently.

BTW, both the Holden and VW dealers were adamant I stay away from cheap fuel chains and stick to Shell/ Caltex/ BP. (We don't have Mobil in SA anymore)
    Better yet

Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Looks like you can compare your car to other cars of the same type
    Mine - Mustang GT MY20 - Carbonised Grey - "Nicky"
    Hers - T-Roc 140 TSI Sport MY21 - Reveena Blue - "Rocky"
    Previous - Passat 206TSI MY17 - Night Blue

I use 98, usually BP.

From past experience with my GTI and MPS, BP and Caltex are generally good in Brisbane (same fuel source, BP has extra 'stuff' added). Shell varied. I did try some of the others, the GTI seemed to like the Puma fuel but shortly afterwards the carbon canister and N80 had to be replaced which was possibly related. 7 Eleven/Mobil caused bad detonation. Both the GTI and MPS loved the 100 octane fuel when available (United and old Shell V-Power Racing), they had 5-10% ethanol added to help bump that octane number up.

Our cars will generally use less fuel running 98, so the extra cost at the pump is minimal at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    It will only pull timing so far before you get detonation.

If your car specifies min 95 then I guess it's up to you. To be safe I'd always run on the higher octane fuel.

It's not a question of fuel efficiency and whether you can save 0.01c per km, it's about engine life which could potentially cost $1,000's to repair.
    Last edited by tigger73; 16-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I was testing this long time even since my golf 4 , and defiantly I have find that on older VAG engine BP95 is the best petrol ( no bad smell on like rotten eggs , engine run more quiet and smother . On Tiguan 132 Tsi definitely BP 98 Is best performance /engine run smoothens , clean exhaust no bad smell etc.. ( My garage is underground Building so I can notice this very much).Or if you go Caltex than best to go with Vortex 95 instead 98 .if you go Vortex 98 is not good, Engine idle run faster and and more rough , bad eggs exhaust burning smell . For some reason Vortex95 is better on VAG cars, I think Vortex 98 is to rich compared to BP 98. Shell I never like much as is not constant , result was very depend on Petrol station. I doubt that this with petrol can be manipulated by Petrol Station Owners ,mixing cheap petrol with expensive one when they have chance to do , I don't know how inspection is tough on this kind manipulation

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DR074 View Post
    Better yet

Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG

Looks like you can compare your car to other cars of the same type
    I'll stick to the spreadsheet.

I can monitor what I want and create charts. For example, I chart current consumption (last fill) and average after the past five fills. Because its charted I can see trends. It's interesting to see the average climb during hot weather!
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    It will only pull timing so far before you get detonation.

If your car specifies min 95 then I guess it's up to you. To be safe I'd always run on the higher octane fuel.

It's not a question of fuel efficiency and whether you can save 0.01c per km, it's about engine life which could potentially cost $1,000's to repair.
    Totally agree. However, if I get better MPG (L/100KM) using the 95, I'll use the 95. You might have guessed from the fact I was running V8s and now a Duke the cost of fuel does not concern me. The only proviso is I match or better the minimum fuel requirement...
    2015 Jetta Highline
    2017 Ducati Supersport S

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast